Why do people RMA their SSD's? Privacy risks? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Why do people RMA their SSD's? Privacy risks?

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 226 (Unique: 150)
Apparently you can't securely erase SSDs the way you can with mechanical drives.

Isn't RMAing SSDs a security/privacy risk?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 523 (Unique: 421)
No because intel isn't going to steal data.....

"When you are attacked in a vicious way for no reason, and you are doing this on your own time, you start to ask "why bother"?" -John Fruehe

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i7monkey;13369651 
Apparently you can't securely erase SSDs the way you can with mechanical drives.

Peo[ple RMA them because first off, they are useless.
So what if windows loads in 10sec vs 15? So what if firefox loads in 1 sec instead of 2? Their price/GB is 2$ O_o. They really arent needed, HDD's are better IMO because they are tried and true and have no degradation (is that a word) over time and you always get what you pay for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Dances with a Screwdriver

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
Shhh not all drug dealers or pedophile knows that. If they leave revealing evidence, it'd make it easier for the cops to bust them.

On Hack-A-Day forum about recent dumping of a ROM chip used in Commodore 1520 plotter and the matter of copyright law:
genki: What would CBM do about the chip getting dumped? Rise from the grave and sue?
phuzz: I now have a great image in my head of zombie corporations crawling out of the ground to protect their IP smile.gif
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i7monkey;13369651 

You can with the Intel 320: http://communities.intel.com/thread/20537?tstart=0

However, the erase is good enough for all intent and purposes for RMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoblikat;13369693 
So what if windows loads in 10sec vs 15? So what if firefox loads in 1 sec instead of 2? Their price/GB is 2$ O_o. They really arent needed, HDD's are better IMO because they are tried and true and have no degradation (is that a word) over time and you always get what you pay for.
Tell that to a DBA or developer.

BTW, why do you have 4GB of RAM? Next time get a 512MB DIMM and create 100GB paging file. RAM price is $19 per GB!!! So what if you have to wait 15s for Firefox to load?

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex99;13369686 
No because intel isn't going to steal data.....

That's all speculation.

Privacy issues are still privacy issues.

Tax information, resumes, health information, sensitive company files, if some or all these are on someone's SSD, why would they RMA them if you supposedly can't securely erase them?

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 420 (Unique: 365)
I will definitely stand up for my right to privacy but seriously, do you think Intel/Corsair/OCZ/etc etc really cares about your data?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoblikat;13369693 

U jellie?

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo;13369699 
You can with the Intel 320: http://communities.intel.com/thread/20537?tstart=0

However, the erase is good enough for all intent and purposes for RMA.

Tell that to a DBA or developer.

BTW, why do you have 4GB of RAM? Next time get a 512MB DIMM and create 100GB paging file.

For buisnesses and speed intensive apps, SSD is the way to go. They have the money for that stuff, but as for me im fine with waiting an extra 3 seconds to save 500000000$ for a 32gb SSD tongue.gif

EDIT- What do you mean about paging file thing? RAM is a nescesitty SSD aint
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoblikat;13369753 
For buisnesses and speed intensive apps, SSD is the way to go. They have the money for that stuff, but as for me im fine with waiting an extra 3 seconds to save 500000000$ for a 32gb SSD tongue.gif

Exactly. For. you.

You != everyone.

Why did you get W7 Ultimate? How much extra did you spend for what benefits?

As for OP, SSD can be overwritten and encrypted. If you are worried about security, get an Intel 320.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBrown.CA;13369742 
I will definitely stand up for my right to privacy but seriously, do you think Intel/Corsair/OCZ/etc etc really cares about your data?

That's not the point whether they care or not. A privacy or security risk is still a security risk, right?

On another note, the following software secure erases all kind drives, including SSDs:

http://www.killdisk.com/

I'm not sure if I really believe that. If you can't truly secure erase SSD's, then why does this program claim this? Any of the SSD experts believe their claim?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in