Kingston V300 Help! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Kingston V300 Help!

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Anyone know why i am getting slow speeds ?
Kingston V300 120gb NEW
MSI Z77 GD65
win8 64 uefi install

Using the intel sata 6 port

CrystalDiskMark on windows 7 using my old ssd to boot windows
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 182.567 MB/s
Sequential Write : 138.152 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 170.840 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 137.012 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 18.301 MB/s [ 4468.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 64.193 MB/s [ 15672.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 76.310 MB/s [ 18630.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 133.814 MB/s [ 32669.6 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [D: 29.0% (32.3/111.3 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2013/04/09 0:03:04
OS : Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

What can it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
I have this same problem, just bought this about week ago. It's installed to Extreme4's Intel SATA3-connection and cable is SATA3-cable.

Still Crystaldiskmark shows under 200Mb/s speeds, about same results as in op's pic.

My Vertex 4(60Gb) which is my OS-disk, shows speed around ~460Mb/s, so obviously there's something strange going on with Kingston.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikku View Post

I have this same problem, just bought this about week ago. It's installed to Extreme4's Intel SATA3-connection and cable is SATA3-cable.

Still Crystaldiskmark shows under 200Mb/s speeds, about same results as in op's pic.

My Vertex 4(60Gb) which is my OS-disk, shows speed around ~460Mb/s, so obviously there's something strange going on with Kingston.

I RMA it and got a new one speeds are good now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I also had similar ~170-180 MB/s sequential read speeds with one Kingston V300 drive, and it the culprit was the drive itself. Ended up exchanging it, and the new drive's sequential read speeds were above the 400 MB/s range.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 52)
Well poop. I have this drive and was about to post this same thread. Looks like I better start making a hard drive image.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

You gents have come across the 'ol "Bait 'n Switch" routine from another SSD maker - Kingston - on the V300!

When this drive hit all the review sites early this year, you only saw the v5.0.5 Sandforce version made in Taiwan. This unit will always benchmark just fine (I've owned 5 of these). In fact, it slightly beats my Corsair Force GT 5.0.5 (an older model to be fair). However, the V300 with v5.0.6 is made in China. This can be seen on the white label on the retail packaging and the drive label itself. I also wondered why the major drop in benchmarks. I emailed and spoke with Customer Service on the phone regarding this dramatic difference in performance between China or Taiwan-made models. To Kingston's credit, they did respond promptly to both.

This difference is not a 'defective' drive. All units made in China are using different internal components (as in the only one that matters -> NAND) than the Taiwan models. Kingston claims no 'foul' as they only claim benchmark performance using ATTO (fully uncompressed data which any Sandforce drive could breeze through). When using ASSD or Crystal, the default is compressed data which is rough for any Sandforce-based SSD -- but shouldn't account for one reading <200 MB/sec (China) and the other reading > 440 MB/sec (Taiwan)!!! This shocked me, as it should all of us! Kingston claimed they can't even RMA exchange the drive for me because it's doing as the packaging advertises (ATTO > 450 MB/sec). This is crap of course, so I exchanged mine at the retailer for the ***Taiwan*** models only and all is good.

I do feel this is a true and classic "bait and switch" job to use lower-quality (CHEAP) NAND flash on the V300 AFTER the positive web site reviews were published - but you can draw your own conclusions. In the end, I'm happy with the performance of the V300 (Taiwan model ONLY) - and I advise anyone and everyone to look at the retail label (white sticker) and make sure you get only the ones made in Taiwan w/ 5.0.5 made with the better quality Nand flash.

--MaxGadgetguy (originally posted at Tom's HW)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 07:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

@Maxgadgetguy - I got one which says "Assembled in TAIWAN" on the label but the firmware version on the label is 506ABBF0. So maybe it's not the manufacturing place after all but a firmware upgrade that makes the drive slower?

@Redx508 and @vacaloca - I would love to know what firmware versions you got on your replacement drives...

Here are my benchmarks. First, incompressable data:

Then compressable data (File > Test Data > 0 Fill).

I can't decide if I should RMA it or not. I'd like to see what incompressible speeds someone else gets with the 5.0.6 firmware, if they are like mine? I found some numbers posted by Diagrafeas in the comments on the link below. They almost seem to suggest that Kingston increased the 4K speeds in the newer firmware by sacrificing the sequential speeds?!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6733/kingston-ssdnow-v300-review
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 09:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Location: Indiana...land of corn, basketball, and pork tenderloin sandwiches
Rep: 39 (Unique: 33)
Time to resurrect this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorb78 View Post

@Maxgadgetguy - I got one which says "Assembled in TAIWAN" on the label but the firmware version on the label is 506ABBF0. So maybe it's not the manufacturing place after all but a firmware upgrade that makes the drive slower?
My Kingston V300 is also Made in Taiwan. Personally, I believe this has everything to do with firmware version, not country of origin.
https://www.overclock.net/t/1407274/very-low-scores-for-kingston-ssdnow-v300-120gb
The OP in the post above has the 505 firmware. It makes a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorb78 View Post

I can't decide if I should RMA it or not. I'd like to see what incompressible speeds someone else gets with the 5.0.6 firmware, if they are like mine? I found some numbers posted by Diagrafeas in the comments on the link below. They almost seem to suggest that Kingston increased the 4K speeds in the newer firmware by sacrificing the sequential speeds?!
Here are my benchmarks. One caveat however: my Kingston V300 is installed on a netbook. Nonetheless, the speed is way way SLOW (e.g. 4K), even for a netbook.

My advice to anyone who is considering to purchase this SSD: don't.
The 506 firmware is absolutely garbage and Kingston does not offer any firmware updates on their website (unlike Mushkin). Given Kingston's virtually non-existent customer support (and the high chance of getting a 506 lemon), you would be better off purchasing a 120GB Samsung 840.
I will avoid purchasing Kingston products in the future.

Overclocking is proof that free lunches do exist...despite Intel's best attempts to slowly take away your free lunch.

AMD is the only one keeping Intel and NVIDIA honest. Competitive parity works in YOUR favor regardless of brand loyalty.

Fanboyism is an anathema to value, bang for buck and your wallet.

Only YOU (as an informed consumer) have your best interests in mind, not some corporation that exists solely to make a profit off you. The same goes for AMD as well.

The Windows 8 Protest Group
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

As a follow-up, yes there may be some tie specifically to the firmware version for high vs low, but at the time I bought mine (June or so), all Taiwan-made were 5.0.5 and all China-made were 5.0.6 (at a large retail chain in the U.S.). I now have three of the 5.0.5 (all Taiwan-made) drives and the speed is fantastic! I couldn't be happier as i typically paid $79 for each.

Like the posts above, the two 5.0.6 units I had originally were both near 180 MB/s (5.0.6) vs 480 MB/s (5.0.5) using sequential reads in AS SSD over an Intel Z68 SATA-3 port. I even tried an older SATA-2 (Intel 975) port and it also showed no better than 179 MB/s for the 5.0.6 firmware while the 5.0.5 was over 279! So it's buyer beware still, my advice is buy local where u can confirm the firmware as 5.0.5 and you will be happy!

As of 12-10-13, Kingston now offers Toolbox 2.0 for download for the V300, but still no firmware updates.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

I ordered 2 of these on Black Friday.

Both of them say "assembled in Taiwan" and both have 5.0.6.

Both of them also are only getting ~170 MB/s sequential read on AS SSD and CrystalDiskMark. I have tried 2 computers, SATA III, ACHI, TRIM etc.

I'm livid since now all the Black Friday deals are over and I'm stuck with two of these POS's. I emailed Kingston and of course got the ATTO uncompressed response. I am trying to go through Newegg now. If I don't get some sort of compensation for the fact I wasted the opportunity to buy a better drive on Black Friday I will never be purchasing from Newegg again. I'm already never purchasing from Kingston again.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in