Samsung 840 EVO read speed drops on old-written data in the drive - Page 155 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Samsung 840 EVO read speed drops on old-written data in the drive

post #1541 of 3282 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 09:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashric View Post

PCPer replied on twitter and said they will look at it again. Nothing from any others. If you want tech sites to cover it just tweet or email them the more that do it the better.

The problem is, the issue arises, and becomes more obvious, when you actually use your SSD for a while. If these review sites have an 840 evo just sitting around, and they then decide to plug it back in, nothing would seem wrong.

I, and others, warned of this issue returning, because we experienced it, between 1-2 months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1542 of 3282 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 09:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 141 (Unique: 124)
I directed them to this thread so they can see for themselves what is being seen by actual users.

post #1543 of 3282 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46 (Unique: 40)
Hi to all,
for what it can help the "post-fix" discussion here, my two EVO drives for which I started this thread, are running fine and at maximum speed since the firmware upgrade. I'm using them in the same PC as before and they are on 24/7 as before, too.

Looking at "fixed" drives that degrade like without fix, the only thing I can think of is trying to restore again the drive speed with DiskFresh and wait again for a couple of months to see if this changes something.
If it is true that in the new firmware Samsung changed the cell reading algorithm, maybe a "reset" made to all cells like DiskFresh does, can recalibrate something which didn't during the update... Just my 2 cents!

EDIT: ah and if after a DiskFresh pass the drive is still slow, then it may have defective cells...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1544 of 3282 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I purchased a 1TB 840 EVO around Black Friday and experienced the same slowdowns as everyone else.

I ran the performance restoration software v1.0, upgraded the firmware and everything was back to normal.

A couple of days ago I re-tested the drive and old data was back to the slow speeds.

I ran the performance restoration software v1.1 and everything is back to normal again.

As others have reported, the firmware obviously did not fix the issue.

Samsung please sort out this mess.
post #1545 of 3282 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 19)
I still say that if proof is found that this issue still hasn't been fixed and can't be fixed due to a hardware design flaw, Samsung should be forced to replace these drives under a world-wide recall.

Tom
post #1546 of 3282 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:13 PM
AAGGHH~ MY EYES~ AAGGHH~

Rep: 157 (Unique: 67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeard86 View Post

The problem is, the issue arises, and becomes more obvious, when you actually use your SSD for a while. If these review sites have an 840 evo just sitting around, and they then decide to plug it back in, nothing would seem wrong.

I, and others, warned of this issue returning, because we experienced it, between 1-2 months ago.

Well, it doesn't help that the first article about the problem not being fixed was poorly written clickbait that tweaktown then deleted. The same day that article was published Allyn mentioned on the pcper livecast that he was not getting the speed degradation that he was getting with the original unpatched drives.Now, months have passed since he stated that. Things might have changed. I'm not doubting that the problem is now showing it's ugly face again.

However, anyone remember how bad the coverage of the issue was outside of pcper? It was next to nothing, and if they said anything they mentioned it was after it was "fixed".

More and more I have been using this issue as a personal test for which tech review sites aren't complete rubbish.
post #1547 of 3282 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trparky View Post

I still say that if proof is found that this issue still hasn't been fixed and can't be fixed due to a hardware design flaw, Samsung should be forced to replace these drives under a world-wide recall.

Samsung would never do that man. Non evo 840s are left forgotten. Not even a firmware, not a slightest effort to fix the issue... so we will be forgotten too...

The best thing we can do is not buying any sort of Samsung sheit ever.
post #1548 of 3282 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Shoutout to 840 EVO owners: Please test your 840 EVO's read speed again to see whether or not it's performance has degraded, and post results here.

We need a bigger pool of test results to confirm whether or not this issue is truely still existent. This also helps move it to technews sites again as they are understandably hesitant to report on something that doesn't have enough proof (yet).

post #1549 of 3282 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 03:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 6)
I shared my results before.

There are much more worse results posted before though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggystardust View Post

The problem is definitely back.

Here are my results:

840evo 120GB. Barely written any data since performance restoration.

I think it will only get worse. Not gonna get any Samsung sht even with half price tag from now on.

Update: hdtune graphs became even worse than pre-performance restoration... I just couldn't endure to see that friggin jittery reading speeds anymore and shift-deleted hdtune... I think we are done. Samsung will never release a proper fix, as we see how they shtted on their "smart" phones and tvs... almost everything they produce.
post #1550 of 3282 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 03:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Ok- I re ran the test. The new firmware and fix were applied at release.

In my case: The only slow reads were on small files

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in