Samsung 840 EVO read speed drops on old-written data in the drive - Page 266 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Samsung 840 EVO read speed drops on old-written data in the drive

post #2651 of 3282 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBy View Post

What the... it says there is no new firmware under Win 8.1. EXT0CB6Q is the latest.

Is this suppose to be Win 7 fix only or what?

Well they limited the amount of downloads for the Magician 4.6. Maybe they limited the amount of downloads from their server for the FW, in magician, as well?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2652 of 3282 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 40 (Unique: 33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoW View Post

Here is a mega link i found with the latest 4.6 from samsung and the firmware update.

Edit: This is today's download from the the samsung site, i got it from overclockers.co.uk.
But i still don't get the firmware update it looks like sammy disabled it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBy View Post

What the... it says there is no new firmware under Win 8.1. EXT0CB6Q is the latest.

Is this suppose to be Win 7 fix only or what?

Same here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palorim12 View Post

Well they limited the amount of downloads for the Magician 4.6. Maybe they limited the amount of downloads from their server for the FW, in magician, as well?

I think they did.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested!
post-flame-small.gifDutch Overclockers Unitepost-flame-small.gifsniper.gif

post-flame-small.gif[Official] AMD R9 290 Owners Club post-flame-small.gif
SWIFTECH H220 OWNERS' CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere
*shudders violently for a moment* I need to change my pants now... redface.gif
----''If you don't care ... It doesn't matter!''----
post #2653 of 3282 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearseer View Post

I have updated the firmware(EXT0DB6Q) with Magician 4.6 under Win7 on my 840EVO 120GB.
(I have dual boot system, Linux Mint 17.1 on 840EVO, Win7 - just for some windows programs - on HDD)

Firmware update was successful everything seems to work, under Win7.

When I started Linux Mint I got a lot of file system errors, freezes, and a system that couldn't boot up.

I've find out the problem is with TRIM. (TRIM seems to be OK under Win7)
The SSD become become totally unstable after the TRIM command (fstrim) on Linux Mint 17.1.
I've got massive I/O errors.

I had to disable the scheduled(on every boot) TRIM functionality under Linux Mint.
After that, Mint was booted normally, now 840EVO seems to be stable (no sign of data loss).

TRIM was fully functional with the previous EXT0CB6Q firmware on Linux Mint 17.1.

Good thing that Samsung limited the number of downloads per day. Despite all the people's complaints probably the only thing that Samsung has done well about all this. They probably learnt the lesson with the 850 Pro's firmware release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2654 of 3282 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhaze View Post

According to reality, get your refund and run, and get a good drive. from crucial mx200 to sandisk extreme pro to plextor m.2 pcie (from cheapest to most expensive lol)
Not to come across as a fanboy, the 850 EVO's are going for the cheapest right now (MicroCenter had the 250 for nearly $0.30/GB), and that has very low latency / high endurance VNAND. What you listed as the highest performing SSD is actually beaten by many other SSDs (850's included) at lower queue depths, meaning they are less latent and more nimble units than the M6e.

I personally always recommend the cheapest good SSD, and as it stands right now, the 850 EVO's fall into that bracket. Swaying my opinion based on flash specific issues when the new models employ a completely different flash technology would be foolish.
post #2655 of 3282 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
Quote:

beta testing or did they reach their bandwidth limit lol

Do your own research and testing, both for peace of mind that (a) What you're reading is true, and that (b) Your gear ain't defective!
post #2656 of 3282 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I've just installed Magician 4.6, and it says that there's no FW update (Windos 7 Pro, 840 EVO 500 GB mSATA).
post #2657 of 3282 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:

Good thinking, thats probably it.
post #2658 of 3282 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malventano View Post

Not to come across as a fanboy, the 850 EVO's are going for the cheapest right now (MicroCenter had the 250 for nearly $0.30/GB), and that has very low latency / high endurance VNAND. What you listed as the highest performing SSD is actually beaten by many other SSDs (850's included) at lower queue depths, meaning they are less latent and more nimble units than the M6e.

I personally always recommend the cheapest good SSD, and as it stands right now, the 850 EVO's fall into that bracket. Swaying my opinion based on flash specific issues when the new models employ a completely different flash technology would be foolish.

How old is the 850 evo, and how old the 840 evo when the problems presented? I'm not trying to argue, I'd honestly like to know.

Do your own research and testing, both for peace of mind that (a) What you're reading is true, and that (b) Your gear ain't defective!
post #2659 of 3282 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearseer View Post

I have updated the firmware(EXT0DB6Q) with Magician 4.6 under Win7 on my 840EVO 120GB.
(I have dual boot system, Linux Mint 17.1 on 840EVO, Win7 - just for some windows programs - on HDD)

Firmware update was successful everything seems to work, under Win7.

When I started Linux Mint I got a lot of file system errors, freezes, and a system that couldn't boot up.

I've find out the problem is with TRIM. (TRIM seems to be OK under Win7)
The SSD become become totally unstable after the TRIM command (fstrim) on Linux Mint 17.1.
I've got massive I/O errors.

I had to disable the scheduled(on every boot) TRIM functionality under Linux Mint.
After that, Mint was booted normally, now 840EVO seems to be stable (no sign of data loss).

TRIM was fully functional with the previous EXT0CB6Q firmware on Linux Mint 17.1.

The new firmware may not like a huge stack of queued TRIM commands being piled up on the SSD *while* trying to boot. If anyone else can reproduce this, I'll pass the info along to Samsung.

Side question - why do you need to TRIM the SSD on every boot? Mint should be a new enough kernel to TRIM deleted / moved / cleared areas of the SSD as those events happen. Issuing another TRIM to those empty areas on every boot is redundant, and might force extra flash wear on some SSDs (some may consolidate and clear some partially filled blocks, depending on how they implemented TRIM).
post #2660 of 3282 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhaze View Post

How old is the 850 evo, and how old the 840 evo when the problems presented? I'm not trying to argue, I'd honestly like to know.

The 840 EVO came out in september 2013, i think. The original problem took anywhere from 30-90 days, possibly more, to present itself, but no one thought to test the read speed until around August of 2014, which is when the big EVO issue forums started popping up here on OC.

With the 850 EVO, the first ones were available the week of christmas of 2015. Since then, since ppl know what look for, i hope ppl have been testing them monthly with the available testing programs (HD tach, HD Tune Pro, File Bench, and SSD Read Speed Tester).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in