Samsung 840 EVO read speed drops on old-written data in the drive - Page 328 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Samsung 840 EVO read speed drops on old-written data in the drive

post #3271 of 3282 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 10:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 295 (Unique: 218)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malventano View Post

Ask and you shall receive.

One thing I noted though was that the data-filled 840 sample I had here actually sped up on sequential read passes, meaning it was not as badly affected as the 840 EVO was. The partial recovery reduced the speed gains seen from the firmware update, but they were still apparent. Advanced Performance Optimization capability also helps for extreme cases, or for those who are willing to sacrifice a write to freshen things up.

Thank you very much for the article. Yeah, noticed the improved performance on subsequent reads, too, although I couldn't really tell if it was due to the read itself or because of increasing temps.

Happy to see Samsung releasing a fix for the basic 840. Honestly didn't expect them to. Granted, I had also previously observed the performance deterioration of the 840 wasn't as quick and severe as the 840 EVO. One thing I have to say regarding this, despite the sometimes unbearable speeds, I didn't experience any data loss or corruption on my Samsung SSDs and to me, that is the most important thing (granted, I only compared file checksums).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3282 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:42 PM
165 Hz

Rep: 682 (Unique: 476)
Quote:

I had a fan blowing across a high performance (unreleased) U.2 SSD what was sitting on the desk here. The 840 was in the same direct path of air flow. It was basically room temperature the entire time.

Let me hazard a guess.... It's from Samsung, it runs hot, and does a couple of GB/s Read and write.

No Bottlenecks
(22 items)
LAN Rig Revision 4
(21 items)
File Server
(10 items)
CPU
6700K @ 4.7 GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 TI Sea Hawk EK X @ 2.1 / 12 GHz
RAM
32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 3333 MHz 15-14-14-34-2T
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB NAS
Optical Drive
Go away
Power Supply
Raidmax RX-700AT 80+ Titanium
Cooling
EK-FB GA Z170X Monoblock
Cooling
EK/MSI Waterblock/Backplate
Cooling
2 * Dazmode Darkside LP360
Cooling
MCP355 DDC @ 7V
Cooling
9 * Noctua NF-P12
Case
Fractal Design Define S
Operating System
8.1 Pro
Monitor
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
Monitor
2 * BenQ GW2765HT
Monitor
LG 34UM58-P
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K60
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mouse
HyperX Fury S Pro XL
Audio
Asus Xonar DSX
CPU
4770K @ 4.5 GHz 1.3V
Motherboard
Maximus VI Gene
GPU
ASUS GTX 1080 Reference
RAM
16GB G.Skill Sniper 2600 MHz 11-14-14-14-2T 1.65V
Hard Drive
Intel 750 400GB PCIe
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 8TB
Optical Drive
I will end you
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
Dazmode Darkside Maple Leaf Special Edition
Cooling
EK GTX 1080 Reference Block
Cooling
Feser TFC Admiral 240
Cooling
Black Ice GTX Xtreme M92
Cooling
6 * Silverstone SST-FN121-P
Cooling
2 * Noctua NF-B9 Redux
Case
NZXT Vulcan (With Attached Handle)
Operating System
8.1 Pro
Monitor
Dell S2417DG YNY1D
Monitor
Samsung U28D590D
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K60
Mouse
Logitech G500
Mouse
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL
CPU
E5-2670
Motherboard
Supermicro X9SRA
RAM
64GB Samsung ECC 1333 MHz
Hard Drive
Mushkin Ventura Pro 32GB (Boot)
Hard Drive
10 * 6TB HGST Deskstar NAS (RAID Z2)
Optical Drive
I will harm you
Power Supply
Corsair RM650 (Passive)
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Operating System
FreeNAS 9.10
▲ hide details ▲
post #3273 of 3282 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Let me hazard a guess.... It's from Samsung, it runs hot, and does a couple of GB/s Read and write.

I wish. This one is from another company. Hopefully Samsung passes me some enterprise samples once I roll out our new test suite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3274 of 3282 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:00 PM
165 Hz

Quote:

I wish. This one is from another company. Hopefully Samsung passes me some enterprise samples once I roll out our new test suite.

New test suite? Latency percentile wasn't good enough?

No Bottlenecks
(22 items)
LAN Rig Revision 4
(21 items)
File Server
(10 items)
CPU
6700K @ 4.7 GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB NAS
Optical Drive
Go away
Power Supply
Cooling
EK-FB GA Z170X Monoblock
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
MCP355 DDC @ 7V
Cooling
9 * Noctua NF-P12
Case
Fractal Design Define S
Operating System
8.1 Pro
Monitor
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
Monitor
2 * BenQ GW2765HT
Monitor
LG 34UM58-P
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K60
Mouse
Mouse
HyperX Fury S Pro XL
Audio
Asus Xonar DSX
CPU
4770K @ 4.5 GHz 1.3V
Motherboard
Maximus VI Gene
GPU
ASUS GTX 1080 Reference
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel 750 400GB PCIe
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 8TB
Optical Drive
I will end you
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Feser TFC Admiral 240
Cooling
Black Ice GTX Xtreme M92
Cooling
Cooling
2 * Noctua NF-B9 Redux
Case
Operating System
8.1 Pro
Monitor
Dell S2417DG YNY1D
Monitor
Samsung U28D590D
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K60
Mouse
Logitech G500
Mouse
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL
CPU
E5-2670
Motherboard
Supermicro X9SRA
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
I will harm you
Power Supply
Corsair RM650 (Passive)
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Operating System
FreeNAS 9.10
▲ hide details ▲
post #3275 of 3282 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

New test suite? Latency percentile wasn't good enough?

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

(Sam Breakstone mode disabled)

Latency Percentile was only half of the story. When comparing SSDs with those results, we (everyone) hits an SSD with a saturation load at a specific QD. This means that in the Percentile comparison plots, you have differences in latency *and* IOPS. The reason we haven't posted any enterprise stuff since Latency Percentile was rolled out was that true comparisons can only be made if one of those other differences can be made equal across the tested SSDs. The solution is that I can now apply workloads at a precise paced IOPS and let the SSDs 'float' to whatever QD they need to service those requests. Now the Latency Percentile comparisons will eliminate a variable (IOPS), faster SSDs won't be working as hard, driving their latencies lower, meaning the percentiles can be used for better comparison without having to also account for varying IOPS in the sidebar. The IOPS data that used to be in the legend will be replaced with the average QD of each SSD in the test run.

...so yeah, basically I'm flipping the whole damn thing upside down. We used to have fixed QD that gave max IOPS. I'm doing fixed IOPS and obtaining the variable QD that results (as well as the Latency Percentile at that load). It's the only way I can imagine getting a true a vs. b comparison. It's taken so damn long because I had to do a lot of coding and qualifying tests to get there.
post #3276 of 3282 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:33 PM
165 Hz

Quote:

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Latency Percentile was only half of the story. When comparing SSDs with those results, we (everyone) hits an SSD with a saturation load at a specific QD. This means that in the Percentile comparison plots, you have differences in latency *and* IOPS. The reason we haven't posted any enterprise stuff since Latency Percentile was rolled out was that true comparisons can only be made if one of those other differences can be made equal across the tested SSDs. The solution is that I can now apply workloads at a precise paced IOPS and let the SSDs 'float' to whatever QD they need to service those requests. Now the Latency Percentile comparisons will eliminate a variable (IOPS), faster SSDs won't be working as hard, driving their latencies lower, meaning the percentiles can be used for better comparison without having to also account for varying IOPS in the sidebar. The IOPS data that used to be in the legend will be replaced with the average QD of each SSD in the test run.

...so yeah, basically I'm flipping the whole damn thing upside down. We used to have fixed QD that gave max IOPS. I'm doing fixed IOPS and obtaining the variable QD that results (as well as the Latency Percentile at that load). It's the only way I can imagine getting a true a vs. b comparison. It's taken so damn long because I had to do a lot of coding and qualifying tests to get there.

So, it wasn't anal enough you're going double and triple anal for the nichest of niche reader that needs to know how their SSD performs on an atomic level.

I approve.

No Bottlenecks
(22 items)
LAN Rig Revision 4
(21 items)
File Server
(10 items)
CPU
6700K @ 4.7 GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB NAS
Optical Drive
Go away
Power Supply
Cooling
EK-FB GA Z170X Monoblock
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
MCP355 DDC @ 7V
Cooling
9 * Noctua NF-P12
Case
Fractal Design Define S
Operating System
8.1 Pro
Monitor
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
Monitor
2 * BenQ GW2765HT
Monitor
LG 34UM58-P
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K60
Mouse
Mouse
HyperX Fury S Pro XL
Audio
Asus Xonar DSX
CPU
4770K @ 4.5 GHz 1.3V
Motherboard
Maximus VI Gene
GPU
ASUS GTX 1080 Reference
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel 750 400GB PCIe
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 8TB
Optical Drive
I will end you
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Feser TFC Admiral 240
Cooling
Black Ice GTX Xtreme M92
Cooling
Cooling
2 * Noctua NF-B9 Redux
Case
Operating System
8.1 Pro
Monitor
Dell S2417DG YNY1D
Monitor
Samsung U28D590D
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K60
Mouse
Logitech G500
Mouse
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL
CPU
E5-2670
Motherboard
Supermicro X9SRA
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
I will harm you
Power Supply
Corsair RM650 (Passive)
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Operating System
FreeNAS 9.10
▲ hide details ▲
post #3277 of 3282 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
Quote:

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Do Windows APIs provide such access when reading data from drives? Or does it have to be somehow workaround and low level accessed without using Windows DLLs? Curious how these SSD testers are made.
post #3278 of 3282 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Do Windows APIs provide such access when reading data from drives? Or does it have to be somehow workaround and low level accessed without using Windows DLLs? Curious how these SSD testers are made.

Everything I'm doing is handled at the application level, relying on standard API calls for all IO. Any other way and it wouldn't be a 'correct' test, as it would bypass the typical path through the NVMe/AHCI driver. In this case, the test app has to be really damn good at pacing the IO's issued, and tracking how long each one of them takes to complete.
post #3279 of 3282 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

So, it wasn't anal enough you're going double and triple anal for the nichest of niche reader that needs to know how their SSD performs on an atomic level.

I approve.

What's hilarious about all of this is that the end goal is to *reduce* the number of charts in a review. Sometimes to get the simplest yet most realistic data, you have to jump through all sorts of hoops before distilling down to those very simple results.
post #3280 of 3282 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
hi all, new to the forum here and hoping to find some answers for a problem I'm having with the 840 evo. After some research on the net, this thread seems to have the most knowledgeable posters. I bought my 840 evo in 11/2014, which was blazing fast initially until the performance degradation issue hit. I have since then updated to the latest firmware EXT0DB6Q, which subjectively seems to have fixed the problem. However, over time, the computer seems to slow down despite the latest firmware. In 4/25/2016, using the Magician's performance benchmark, my random read/write is 29K/23K and seq read/write in 548/528 I did an advanced performance optimization back then on the Magician software, which restored the random read/write to 90K/50K. Then yesterday, 7/7/16, the computer started slowing down significantly, and a recheck of SSD performance found that random read/write is back down to 29K/23K . I repeated the advanced performance optimization and benchmark found random read/write is back up to 90K/65K. However, the computer seems to have these periodic 0.5 sec freezes here and there which I want to attribute to the evo 840.

Is periodic advanced performance optimization needed every 2-3 months to maintain the optimal performance of the drive? Has that been the experience for other folks who own the 840 evo? Or did I get a bad batch? And are people happy with having to do advanced performance optimization every 2-3 months? Does Samsung consider that fixed?

I'm still under warranty until 11/2017. What has other folks' experience been with warranty service. It seems to me people just get another 840 evo refurb, which I really don't want. Has anyone had success with getting Samsung to give a 850 evo replacement instead?

I'm considering getting a new SSD 480-500Gb capacity. Any recommendations? Do folks pretty much agree with Sean's SSD buyers guide suggestions? It seems like other brands have their own issues as well, but so far I've not read too many problems with Crucial MX200, SanDisk Ultra II, SanDisk Extreme Pro. Has the 850 evo so far been free of the problem that the 840 evo had?

I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions. I'd be interested to hear the competing perspectives of malventano and darkhaze too.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in