Optane and M2 to SATA - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Optane and M2 to SATA

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Let's Launch Over It!

Rep: 15 (Unique: 14)
Question Optane and M2 to SATA

This is definitely farfetched, but has anyone tried connecting any of the Optane Cache (16/32GB) or 800p (58/118GB) drives to a "M2 to Sata" rerouting board, and then try to connect this to a regular SATA controller?

Reason I even bothered asking about this is because the M2 spec for B and M keyed M2 drives do have (optional) lanes for SATA that can be utilized (versus the 2/4 PCI-e lanes which are expected to be used by nearly all NVMe drives for NVMe itself.) Some drives implement this allowing the controller to either communicate via SATA, or regular NVMe over PCI-e (but not all.)

Since Intel developed their own controllers for these things, I'm fairly certain these are NVMe only, but I'm curious if anyone has tried connecting one of these to a SATA interface to see what happens if anything.

Yes, SATA is an enormous bottleneck for latency, number of commands, and bandwidth, just want to see if anyone tried it before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
m.2 , nvme , optane , sata , Sata Drives

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in