Help - Sandisk SSD not recognized after Secure Erase - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Help - Sandisk SSD not recognized after Secure Erase

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Help - Sandisk SSD not recognized after Secure Erase

Hi OCN people,

I have the following problem - short story: I stupidly used Sandisk Secure Erase on my perfectly working Sandisk SSD and it is no longer recognizable in Device manager, Drive manager, BIOS. It's gone. Help me get it back!!!

Long story: I upgraded from a SATA Sandisk Ultra II 960 SSD to a Crucial 1Tb NVMe drive. After a brief time, I decided to either give the SSD to my son for his PC or sell it, if he doesn't want it, which I doubt Yesterday, I connected the Sandisk to my PC, all was fine. After that I used their proprietary software Sandisk SSD Dashboard 2.3.3.0 to Secure Erase the drive, since my son was away and I decided to Secure Erase just in case he doesn't want it. Yesterday being May 13(!) the Dashboard reported a successful secure erase, then the SSD disappeared form the Windows Explorer, from Device Manager and form Sandisk Dashboard too. A restart showed no SSD in BIOS, back to Deivce Manager, Disk Manager, Dashboard - nothing! The drive is gone. I changed the SATA cable and SATA port, restart, BIOS, Device manager, Disk Manager, still nothing. It's out of warranty, but it went down due to Sandisk Software, no questions about it. Dudes, I paid a $200 upon purchase (those were the prices at the end of 2015-begin 2016) and now it died after a Sandisk own software action???

I saw some people suggesting to recover files via USB-to-SATA adapter, as that may work, but I don't need to recover files. I need my perfectly well running SSD back online. And I don't have a USB to SATA adapter just sitting next to my desk obviously. I am not sure if it makes sense spending more money on it, unless there is no other way and it will "re-do" the SSD.

Clearing CMOS & connecting the SSD to another PC - not tried yet (UPDATE: cleared CMOS, connected to another SATA port - didn't work).

As it's not seen in BIOS and elsewhere - any other solid ideas or suggestions to recover the hardware/SSD, make the SSD working again?

Thanks!

P.S. Bios is latest (1301 BIOS on Asus Maximus IX Hero with a 7700k and EVGA 850w p2 PSU - the system is fine and updated, tried the default BIOS too)

I am your father?

Last edited by DarthFK; 05-14-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:00 PM
Linux Gamer

Rep: 56 (Unique: 39)
I'd see if diskpart can find the drive and then maybe try something like Crystal Disk Info for giggles. Linux utilities (fdisk/sgdisk, GParted, GSmartControl) on something like a live cd can be invaluable, but if diskpart can't see it, they probably won't be able to either.

If secure erase did a "clean all" aka write zeros command, it (literally) wrote zeros to every block on the drive. It's the only way that I'm aware of to destroy your data (pretty much) beyond recovery, but it's a lot for an SSD to endure, and it could have killed the drive. If all else fails, it's also worth a shot to call Sandisk and discuss that their utility killed the drive, but I doubt they'll do anything.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
Workstation
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ stock
Motherboard
Dell 0x501h, BIOS based (not EFI capable)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB 06G-P4-6161-KR @ stock
RAM
Kingston 12gb 1066mhz CL7 non-ECC
Hard Drive
ZFS mirror (media), ZFS JBOD (gaming etc.), ZFS OS
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Sunbeam Rheostat Extreme Fan Controller rev2
Cooling
6 x Delta AFB1212L @ ~800RPM
Case
CaseLabs Bullet BH8 (white)
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry Reds)
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Itac mouse-trak Industrial Trackball
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Tournament Edition Headset
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G1 USB Sound Card
Audio
Philips HTS3555 5.1 1000w Home Theater
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640, 4/4, 3ghz
Motherboard
(Foxconn 2AB1) N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX, BIOS based (not EFI capable)
GPU
ATI Radeon 4200 (RS880) HP
RAM
6gb DDR3 1333 CL9
Hard Drive
Hitatchi 40gb (ZFS)
Power Supply
OEM 250w?
Cooling
OEM
Case
OEM
Operating System
Monitor
HP vp17
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:08 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Some drives have these stupid OEM partitions that causes confusion issues when deleting partitions. SanDisk is notorious for this.

Windows disk manager cannot fix this. It can only be fixed in CMD.

Use CMD/command prompt to run disk part. It can fix this. Google disk part commands. Delete the own partition with "delete partition override" in cmd and then you can use Windows disk manager to format the drive normally.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Almost Heathen View Post
I'd see if diskpart can find the drive and then maybe try something like Crystal Disk Info for giggles. Linux utilities (fdisk/sgdisk, GParted, GSmartControl) on something like a live cd can be invaluable, but if diskpart can't see it, they probably won't be able to either.

If secure erase did a "clean all" aka write zeros command, it (literally) wrote zeros to every block on the drive. It's the only way that I'm aware of to destroy your data (pretty much) beyond recovery, but it's a lot for an SSD to endure, and it could have killed the drive. If all else fails, it's also worth a shot to call Sandisk and discuss that their utility killed the drive, but I doubt they'll do anything.
Yeah, tried diskpart/list disk from the get go. No SSD. Will try Crystal Disk Info, but I'd doubt it would see it, it must rely on windows, which isn't seeing it. I was rather thinking Linux. Will still try GParted or anything suggested. Thanks!

On Secure Erase - yep, it was supposed to go with zeros and Secure Erase was the only option in Dashboard. No Sanitize. However, the erase performed quickly - if it was writing zeros over 960Gb, as it was indeed supposed to, I was thinking it would take time. Or it would "spike" a charge to get zeroes, but I doubt a piece of software would do that. I'm now scratching my head - the drive was formatted first, before Secure Erasing it, but that doesn't mean zeros shouldn't be written all over it, so why did it take Secure Erase the 960Gb so very fast, like under 1 minute? It did show Secure Erase success message, though.

I called SanD today, they will examine it... That's why I am here

Thanks Ultra, but diskpart doesn't see it at all.

I am your father?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here is the screenshot of the diskpart seeing only my current system 1Tb Nvme (CMD ran as administrator)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diskpart.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	269616  

I am your father?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:43 PM
Linux Gamer

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthFK View Post
Yeah, tried diskpart/list disk from the get go. No SSD. Will try Crystal Disk Info, but I'd doubt it would see it, it must rely on windows, which isn't seeing it. I was rather thinking Linux. Will still try GParted or anything suggested. Thanks!

On Secure Erase - yep, it was supposed to go with zeros and Secure Erase was the only option in Dashboard. No Sanitize. However, the erase performed quickly - if it was writing zeros over 960Gb, as it was indeed supposed to, I was thinking it would take time. Or it would "spike" a charge to get zeroes, but I doubt a piece of software would do that. I'm now scratching my head - the drive was formatted first, before Secure Erasing it, but that doesn't mean zeros shouldn't be written all over it, so why did it take Secure Erase the 960Gb so very fast, like under 1 minute? It did show Secure Erase success message, though.

I called SanD today, they will examine it... That's why I am here

Thanks Ultra, but diskpart doesn't see it at all.
I agree, I'm just in the habit that if there's any drive issue with a Windows machine I run CDI for the hell of it.

It sounds like Secure Erase only deletes the partition table, that can be done in a few seconds, which explains why it completed so quickly. So you should be able to correct it with fdisk or possibly GParted; However you'd think at least the BIOS/UEFI would still be able to see the disk even without a partition table, but I'm not sure. fdisk is (AFAIK) the Linux equivalent to diskpart, and if it can't find the drive, I'm unaware of any other utilities that could. You can have it list drives with fdisk -l or try GParted. If it can find the drive and you need help fixing it, let me know.

For Linux live cds, pretty much anything will do, but to give you some ideas, personally I prefer Redo, System Rescue CD, an OS live cd with persistence (ex: Mint), then the best but most time consuming option would be a custom install onto a flashdrive, in that order. I'd add that Rufus is a solid Windows utility for creating Linux flash drives.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
Workstation
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ stock
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Audio
Audio
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
6gb DDR3 1333 CL9
Hard Drive
Hitatchi 40gb (ZFS)
Power Supply
OEM 250w?
Cooling
OEM
Case
OEM
Operating System
Monitor
HP vp17
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Almost Heathen; 05-14-2019 at 08:50 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Almost Heathen View Post
I agree, I'm just in the habit that if there's any drive issue with a Windows machine I run CDI for the hell of it.

It sounds like Secure Erase only deletes the partition table, that can be done in a few seconds, which explains why it completed so quickly. So you should be able to correct it with fdisk or possibly GParted; However you'd think at least the BIOS/UEFI would still be able to see the disk even without a partition table, but I'm not sure. fdisk is (AFAIK) the Linux equivalent to diskpart, and if it can't find the drive, I'm unaware of any other utilities that could. You can have it list drives with fdisk -l or try GParted. If it can find the drive and you need help fixing it, let me know.

For Linux live cds, pretty much anything will do, but to give you some ideas, personally I prefer Redo, System Rescue CD, an OS live cd with persistence (ex: Mint), then the best but most time consuming option would be a custom install onto a flashdrive, in that order. I'd add that Rufus is a solid Windows utility for creating Linux flash drives.
Hey Almost Heathen,

Thanks for advise! Last time I experimented with a Linux machine was probably 10 years ago But I've tried. I had two free USBs and installed Redo on one and Mint (that's the one I've tried long time ago) on another. I didn't know how to make it with persistance, so I am writing from it now, as I cannot save the screenshot onto the Windows machine nvme.

Redo - it doesn't show anything except the USB, I don't know why.

Linux Mint - "sudo fdisk -l" did show the NVMe and the USB, but not the Sandisk. I attach the screenshot.

I will try the System Rescue CD after that and update.

P.S. Sandisk came back extremely happy to announce me that I went out of warranty. The info about Sandisk Dashboard destroying a Sandisk ssd was disregarded as inconvenient apparently, and means it's none of their business that their software destroyed my SSD, made by them, as soon as it's out of warranty. No responsibility for their own software and that's not exactly right. So much for Sandisk customer support - WD and Sandisk are now one company, afaik. I'm going to post the hell out of it for people to know about it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-05-15 17-35-50.png
Views:	7
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	269698  

I am your father?

Last edited by DarthFK; 05-15-2019 at 11:47 AM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

System Rescue CD doesn't see it either - tried "fdisk -l" there and Gparted. No Sandisk SSD, only Nvme SSD and the USB.

What I did notice is slower boot times on PC since the SSD became unrecongnized
- maybe BIOS attempts to read from that SSD and fails? So, maybe not all is lost and its only Mapping table after all? But why isn't it showing up in BIOS and Linux? Argh...
- also ata2 in terminal (and at the launch of System Rescue CD) showed "ata 2 comreset failed (errno=-16)". I have no clue what it means, but ultimately it showed a message about giving up or something like that.

If the above error doesn't mean anything, I am left with two more options only, it seems:
1. Connect to another PC and see what happens
2. Find a SATA to USB type connecttor and try that too, as my Google search showed that people reported some success with that, when all else failed.

Any thoughts?

I am your father?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:42 PM
Linux Gamer

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthFK View Post
System Rescue CD doesn't see it either - tried "fdisk -l" there and Gparted. No Sandisk SSD, only Nvme SSD and the USB.

What I did notice is slower boot times on PC since the SSD became unrecongnized
- maybe BIOS attempts to read from that SSD and fails? So, maybe not all is lost and its only Mapping table after all? But why isn't it showing up in BIOS and Linux? Argh...
- also ata2 in terminal (and at the launch of System Rescue CD) showed "ata 2 comreset failed (errno=-16)". I have no clue what it means, but ultimately it showed a message about giving up or something like that.

If the above error doesn't mean anything, I am left with two more options only, it seems:
1. Connect to another PC and see what happens
2. Find a SATA to USB type connecttor and try that too, as my Google search showed that people reported some success with that, when all else failed.

Any thoughts?
As the BIOS/UEFI and diskpart couldn't find the SSD, I'm not surprised Linux couldn't either.

I would expect to see something like that, that unless the SSD is stone dead the BIOS/UEFI stalls as it tries to initialize the disk and fails. If you turn off the BIOS/UEFI splash screen it may display an error as this happens. The ata2 error makes sense as well; it would seem you have no other SATA drives connected, so ata2 could very well be the SSD.

I had thought a mapping table and a partition table are the same thing, but it appears that they aren't. I'm curious now, so I'll look into that and the ata error and let you know if I find anything. It's a bizarre circumstance nonetheless; either quite a coincidence that the SSD failed after this occurred or their software did something weird, or there's an issue with the connection between the SSD and your machine.

At this point, the first thing I would both try is putting it in another machine. SATA to USB connectors are cheap and handy to have around. I've had luck working with bad drives with them as well. Just be aware many do not include a power cable, and the SSD may require a power hook up (seems like some do and some don't, mine did). They are not as reliable as a SATA connection, so it may take a couple tries to connect your SSD.

If you haven't yet, you might try several SATA ports (even different hubs, if the board has say, Intel SATA connections and Marvell SATA) and cables, maybe even disconnect your NVME drive and have another look through your BIOS/UEFI for the sake of being thorough.

Other than that, it feels like grasping at straws, but here are some other ideas all the same:
  • If Sandisk has a boot environment for firmware upgrades, perhaps it could do something with the SSD
  • You could check the output of: dmesg | grep ata2
  • You could check the output of: lsblk
  • You could check the SMART output: smartctl -a /dev/sdb (I'm assuming it's /dev/sdb)
  • Maybe something can be done with fsck?
  • You could try other utilities such as GSmartcontrol. I'd think if fdisk can't find it, this can't either, but still.
You could contact the consumer protection office in your state (supposing your from the US). I doubt there's anything they can do, as the drive is out of warranty, but you never know.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
Workstation
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ stock
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Audio
Audio
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
6gb DDR3 1333 CL9
Hard Drive
Hitatchi 40gb (ZFS)
Power Supply
OEM 250w?
Cooling
OEM
Case
OEM
Operating System
Monitor
HP vp17
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Almost Heathen; 05-15-2019 at 02:49 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
in disk part you need to do list disk, then select disk, then list part to see if there are any OEM partitions. If you did that, then IDK. Bad drive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	269714  

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in