Need inexpensive 2TB+ SSD recommendations - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need inexpensive 2TB+ SSD recommendations

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 296 (Unique: 218)
Need inexpensive 2TB+ SSD recommendations

Hey guys. I'm getting a new Ultra SFF PC so I could actually preview 4K videos on it. My current thin Mini-ITX Ivy Bridge is woefully lacking on that front.

Need a new SSD, 2TB minimum capacity, either M.2 NVMe or 2.5" 7mm SATA (board doesn't support M.2 SATA and it's too small to fit 3.5" drives). I won't be able to install heatsinks or anything so if M.2, I need something that won't overheat even when ambient temps are like 32C/90F. Aiming for around 10 cents/GB. It should be available on Amazon or Newegg.

Intel 660p 2TB is $185 which is the lowest price I've seen for 2TB but QLC gives me pause. The workload is primarily mixed read/write converting from UHD/Blu-ray ISOs to MKV (no recompression) on same drive. It'll probably be normal to fill the drive close to full prior to offloading to NAS (although I'll probably do 10-15% manual OP). Anyone know what sustained sequential on the 660p 2TB is like? Tried to check to reviews but they all feature 1TB.

If the 660p is a no go, I'll probably go with a $200-220 2.5" 2TB MX500 unless there are other 2TB NVMe SSDs I should consider in the same price ballpark (~$250 inclusive of 10.25% CA sales tax).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:07 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2748 (Unique: 1629)
The Intel 660P can in some use cases be slower than even a slow HDD which is one of the reasons why its so cheap so if low cost is a must a HDD is actually better and faster in some use cases
Samsung NVME drives are way overpriced but there are other options that are cheaper such as drives using the Toshiba E12 controller

The PNY XLR8 and the Corsair Force MP510 are just a few of such options
https://www.overclock.net/forum/355-...2-toshiba.html

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:32 AM
Overclocking since 1998

Rep: 43 (Unique: 36)
Consider one of these 2:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...-ssd,5134.html

CPU
7700K Delid @5.1GHz @1.4V
Motherboard
Asus Z270F Strix
GPU
Asus RX480 Strix @ 1400MHz
RAM
Corsair Vengance PC3200 2x8GB
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 530 SSD
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
2 x 3TB HDD
Optical Drive
LG BD-R
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Fractal Define R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Dell 27" 1080p
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:45 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post
Hey guys. I'm getting a new Ultra SFF PC so I could actually preview 4K videos on it. My current thin Mini-ITX Ivy Bridge is woefully lacking on that front.

Need a new SSD, 2TB minimum capacity, either M.2 NVMe or 2.5" 7mm SATA (board doesn't support M.2 SATA and it's too small to fit 3.5" drives). I won't be able to install heatsinks or anything so if M.2, I need something that won't overheat even when ambient temps are like 32C/90F. Aiming for around 10 cents/GB. It should be available on Amazon or Newegg.

Intel 660p 2TB is $185 which is the lowest price I've seen for 2TB but QLC gives me pause. The workload is primarily mixed read/write converting from UHD/Blu-ray ISOs to MKV (no recompression) on same drive. It'll probably be normal to fill the drive close to full prior to offloading to NAS (although I'll probably do 10-15% manual OP). Anyone know what sustained sequential on the 660p 2TB is like? Tried to check to reviews but they all feature 1TB.

If the 660p is a no go, I'll probably go with a $200-220 2.5" 2TB MX500 unless there are other 2TB NVMe SSDs I should consider in the same price ballpark (~$250 inclusive of 10.25% CA sales tax).

Thanks!
Sustained write on QLC such as 660p/P1 is worse than an HDD (which is not something on everyone's use case). So if you want to fill the drive full in one go, this is not a drive for you. It's all over decent reviews and user reports how these QLC tank in write speed and how they compare to other drives.
You have to carefully choose an SSD if you plan on doing full drive writes in one go.

There are the E12 drives in 2TB and maybe some of those SM2262EN. The rest probably doesn't come anywhere near close in value = performance/price. Only QLC drives are a little cheaper if you must have the most budget option.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...sd,6180-2.html

A 2TB drive won't magically differ in how it's firmware runs. It's the same firmware.

SATA is dead, get an NVMe, they are often cheaper and 6x+ faster even for any shorter operations and 2x+ for long.
For full drive read in one go, I don't think there is any issue with any of the drives as you're going to be limited by network/NAS anyway.
Also how fast can you process the repacking to MKV, RAM and CPU wise. I don't like the QLC, that's why I didn't buy one but they can be usable if all you need is the cheapest option and don't care about speed or latency.

By now most reviews sites are hopefully more updated to list recent drives (last 1 year) and more actual lower prices (prices dropped a lot in last 1 year). If you look at old reviews and comparisons the drives and prices will seem very outdated.

Most if not all of the NVMe drives will heat up to a point where they could use a tiny heatsink or airflow over them if you do sustained long writes (to avoid controller throttling). Other than that they are fine temperature wise. Heatsinks can fit under a GPU plugged over the NVMe.

The rest is in my thread Shilka already linked, added to my signature too now. There is a list of all E12 drives I could find and their code, so you can search shops with those names and codes, see what you can get and for how much. Not all E12 are in 2TB but some are. Prices vary greatly but good deals are below SATA prices and close to QLC even.

Cheapest... yes that's the 660p. There are no 4TB to recommend. 2TB is the most you can get at an acceptable price.

Last edited by JackCY; 08-29-2019 at 08:51 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 296 (Unique: 218)
Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
The Intel 660P can in some use cases be slower than even a slow HDD which is one of the reasons why its so cheap so if low cost is a must a HDD is actually better and faster in some use cases
HDD would be 2.5", quite possibly shingled magnetic recording (SMR) as I don't think they make 7mm in perpendicular. Honestly, even finding 9.5mm PMR nowadays seems iffy. Besides, simultaneous read/write is much worse on HDD. Iirc, it reduces sequential throughput to around 1/3 and that's before factoring in workload as OS drive. In this particular case, I highly doubt HDD's gonna be better.

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
Samsung NVME drives are way overpriced but there are other options that are cheaper such as drives using the Toshiba E12 controller

The PNY XLR8 and the Corsair Force MP510 are just a few of such options
https://www.overclock.net/forum/355-...2-toshiba.html
Unfortunately, both those drives are gonna cost ~$330 after tax. That's 62% more than the 660p and way more than I'd like to spend on 2TB.

Quote: Originally Posted by briank View Post
Thanks! The 2TB WD Blue 3D looks like a good/better similarly priced alternative to the MX500.

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Sustained write on QLC such as 660p/P1 is worse than an HDD (which is not something on everyone's use case). So if you want to fill the drive full in one go, this is not a drive for you. It's all over decent reviews and user reports how these QLC tank in write speed and how they compare to other drives.
You have to carefully choose an SSD if you plan on doing full drive writes in one go.

A 2TB drive won't magically differ in how it's firmware runs. It's the same firmware.
It doesn't but with increased parallelism, the performance floor would be higher and there's longer leeway before performance drops. Haven't found the numbers yet for the 660p but for example, the 2TB 860 QVO has double the sustained sequential write speed of the 1TB version.

There are the E12 drives in 2TB and maybe some of those SM2262EN. The rest probably doesn't come anywhere near close in value = performance/price. Only QLC drives are a little cheaper if you must have the most budget option.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...sd,6180-2.html

By now most reviews sites are hopefully more updated to list recent drives (last 1 year) and more actual lower prices (prices dropped a lot in last 1 year). If you look at old reviews and comparisons the drives and prices will seem very outdated.

Most if not all of the NVMe drives will heat up to a point where they could use a tiny heatsink or airflow over them if you do sustained long writes (to avoid controller throttling). Other than that they are fine temperature wise. Heatsinks can fit under a GPU plugged over the NVMe.

The rest is in my thread Shilka already linked, added to my signature too now. There is a list of all E12 drives I could find and their code, so you can search shops with those names and codes, see what you can get and for how much. Not all E12 are in 2TB but some are. Prices vary greatly but good deals are below SATA prices and close to QLC even.
While there are plenty of deals on 1TB, situation appears to be different on 2TB. Found the Silicon Power P34A80 for $245 and the Sabrent Rocket SB-ROCKET-2TB for $250. Costs more than SATA options but I'm willing to stretch to around that. How bad does throttling get? Could throttling make these NVMe SSDs slower than SATA? As mentioned earlier, installing a heatsink is NOT an option. I'm okay even if they drop to sub-1GB/s as long as they don't BSOD on me or die prematurely because of high temps.

SATA is dead, get an NVMe, they are often cheaper and 6x+ faster even for any shorter operations and 2x+ for long.
For full drive read in one go, I don't think there is any issue with any of the drives as you're going to be limited by network/NAS anyway.
Also how fast can you process the repacking to MKV, RAM and CPU wise. I don't like the QLC, that's why I didn't buy one but they can be usable if all you need is the cheapest option and don't care about speed or latency.
In a couple of years, I expect I'll be buying new, higher capacity SSDs so I don't really care if "SATA is dead" given it's still a much faster option than HDD for the intended workload. It's actually easier/cheaper to convert SATA to external USB 3.0 drives than NVMe (that's how I pretty much use my old SSDs - as large, fast flash drives).

I'm not re-encoding videos so not horribly CPU-bound. Just remuxing to MKV and adding secondary audio streams (5.1 channel AC3 and stereo AAC). New CPU will either be Ryzen 3 3200G or i5-8259U/i7-8259U (using integrated graphics) so these aren't power houses by any stretch of the imagination. I'm upgrading purely for 4K HEVC 10-bit hardware decode (ultra SFF so can't just add a GPU).

Apart from NAS offload, it's not really super long continuous writes either. More like bursts of 40-100GB at a time with a couple minutes idle time in between (reviewing and selecting tracks, etc).

Blu-ray ISO rip to USB HDD/SSD (ImgBurn)
- ~25MB/s ave, ~35MB/s max (limited by optical media)
I rip like 1-2 discs at night during weekdays for later processing.

Blu-ray ISO to MKV (MakeMKV)
- without audio conversion: ~200MB/s (SATA to USB 3.0 adapter or bus limited?)
- with 5.1ch AC3+2ch AAC conversion: ~100MB/s (CPU limited on i5-3450S, no idea how much improvement, if any, a 3200G or i5-8259U will bring)
This I occasionally do multiple times for the same movie trying to get the tracks and settings correct. That's why I rip to ISO first otherwise, I'd probably damage the disc. I've built up a bit of a back log so I'll probably do like 10-20 ISOs on a weekend.

Transfer to NAS
- ~100-125MB/s (gigabit limited)

Cheapest... yes that's the 660p. There are no 4TB to recommend. 2TB is the most you can get at an acceptable price.
I actually was able to buy a 4TB 2.5" Micron 5100 ECO for like $350-ish on clearance from OWC. Really, really regret not buying extra now.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Overclocker

Yeah but those are 2.5" SATA if you want more acceptable 4TB+.

Actually found it, sold out: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Micr...d301490a1c0e10

Sadly these enterprise drives are hard to find at all anywhere, most shops only sell Samsung SSDs at high capacities with their consumer models.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 217 (Unique: 125)
you probably have two choices at best, HP EX950 or ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/co...xM97YJ,kQZzK8/

they're however close to $300 in price, HP is cheaper if you have access to newegg.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:15 PM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 522 (Unique: 329)
...SATA is dead...
SATA is not dead; far from it, in fact. Right now, consumer SSDs top out at 4TB for SATA SSDs (Samsung only; for others, it's 2TB; consumer NVMe drives top out at 2TB. HDDs available to consumers are available as high as 16TB and are increasing in capacity far faster than SSDs are.

NVMe is great for speed but, unless frequently moving around huge files, the speed increase over SATA is not likely to be noticeable. For storage, speed isn't even that much of a factor. As long as HDDs are considerably less expensive than SSDs and their capacity continues to far exceed the capacity of SSDs, SATA isn't going anywhere soon.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 217 (Unique: 125)
well unless SAS takes over, SAS ports would allow 2.5" SSDs to double it's theoretical speed too.
although SAS ports are backwards compatible with SATA drives, one SAS port can support 4 SATA drives natively.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Overclocker

There is always PCIe, the connector and drive size doesn't matter, the protocol does. No one is stopping them from launching 100TB 5.25" drives with PCIe/NVMe connection does it.

SATA is dead for SSDs on desktop computers, there is no question about that. You get even 3x NVMe M.2 on new boards and if you need more there are plenty lanes on PCIe to get even more of these fast connections.
For an HDD farm... sure just farm those SATA connectors and get PCIe to SATA etc. But that's not a typical desktop machine. That's a NAS/server.

Last edited by JackCY; 09-06-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in