Budget Non-QLC NVMEs? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Budget Non-QLC NVMEs?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
therock003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 640
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Budget Non-QLC NVMEs?

I want to upgrade to an m2.ssd drive and was thinking about the nvme option. It seems though that entry-level budget options such as intel 660p or Crucial P1 use QLC technology which means that performance drops as you fill up the drive and you need to flush the cache occasioanly and at times the speed drops below mechanical hdd levels. I say no to that, cant be preoccupied with free space and cachce flushes. Ia there good NVME option close to the price of normal m2 drives

therock003 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:32 AM
Otherworlder
 
epic1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,369
Rep: 219 (Unique: 127)
my choice for low-cost NVMe SSDs are Adata XPG SX8200 Pro and HP EX950 series.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
epic1337 is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:39 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
speed_demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,485
Rep: 85 (Unique: 68)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
my choice for low-cost NVMe SSDs are Adata XPG SX8200 Pro and HP EX950 series.
These are both solid low cost choices. I'll add one to that list, the Sabrent Rocket line. I have the 256 gig NVMe I run pretty hard and have yet to run into issues. For the price they're hard to beat.

Link - https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocke...XM7JDCNFD97KJP


speed_demon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
therock003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 640
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Can get the HP drive locally in my Country, bt the Adata costs almost as much as the 970 EVO. Like 155 vs 175 euros.. Not really a barfain. I was thinking somewhere closer to 100euros where i find al those 1TB non-NVME drivers, but close to that price range i get the Garbage QLC nvmes. So at this point i'm like should i give 105 and get the crucial mx500 1tb or go for SX8200 for 155 (50%) more

My use is strictly gaming (tis a gaming pc exclusively)

therock003 is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 02:39 AM
Meep
 
Gilles3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,128
Rep: 304 (Unique: 223)
Quote: Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
Can get the HP drive locally in my Country, bt the Adata costs almost as much as the 970 EVO. Like 155 vs 175 euros.. Not really a barfain. I was thinking somewhere closer to 100euros where i find al those 1TB non-NVME drivers, but close to that price range i get the Garbage QLC nvmes. So at this point i'm like should i give 105 and get the crucial mx500 1tb or go for SX8200 for 155 (50%) more

My use is strictly gaming (tis a gaming pc exclusively)
And what country is that exactly? Makes it easier to recommend something, as prices and availability change between different regions.

Anyway, I recently got a Silicon Power P34A80 for ~€125 which has Phison E12 controller and Toshiba NAND, same as the corsair MP510. And it has been great, very fast and came with the latest E12 firmware, no issues at all.

They're still reasonably priced on the european amazon's.
https://www.amazon.de/Silicon-Power-.../dp/B07P9PCCHL
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicon-Pow.../dp/B07P9PCCHL
https://www.amazon.fr/Silicon-Power-.../dp/B07P9PCCHL
etc.
Gilles3000 is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
therock003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 640
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
And what country is that exactly? Makes it easier to recommend something, as prices and availability change between different regions.

Anyway, I recently got a Silicon Power P34A80 for ~€125 which has Phison E12 controller and Toshiba NAND, same as the corsair MP510. And it has been great, very fast and came with the latest E12 firmware, no issues at all.

They're still reasonably priced on the european amazon's.
https://www.amazon.de/Silicon-Power-.../dp/B07P9PCCHL
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicon-Pow.../dp/B07P9PCCHL
https://www.amazon.fr/Silicon-Power-.../dp/B07P9PCCHL
etc.
Sorry meant to write cant get HP. My country is Greece, and here is a list of 1tb prices

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/88/ssd-sklh...&order_dir=asc

therock003 is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:25 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
speed_demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,485
Rep: 85 (Unique: 68)
You may have to settle for a Sata M.2 drive like the 860 EVO. Which I've personally had and is still 99% as good as my current NVMe drive.


speed_demon is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:25 AM
Meep
 
Gilles3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,128
Rep: 304 (Unique: 223)
Quote: Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
Sorry meant to write cant get HP. My country is Greece, and here is a list of 1tb prices

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/88/ssd-sklh...&order_dir=asc
This seems to be as good as you're going to get in Greece:
https://www.bestprice.gr/item/215547...510-960gb.html

A bit cheaper than a 970 EVO and a bit faster.
Gilles3000 is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
therock003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 640
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Is it faster really? Though SX8200 goes for 141 at the moment and is 1tb with more overhead. Dont know, still possibly into going for a non-nvme like this one

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/14606924/Cr...2-1TB-M-2.html

Although My sata mx300 just failed with 36 errors and i kinda hate crucial at the moment


Last edited by therock003; 10-02-2019 at 11:23 AM.
therock003 is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,116
Rep: 341 (Unique: 242)
See my signature for the 2019 SSD options.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/355-...2-toshiba.html

You have the E12 based drives and then SM2262EN. Some people did not like the SM2262EN and they often cost more than E12 drives. Prices vary each month due to availability etc.
At times you can get E12 drives cheaper than SATA, close to QLC NVMe prices. Reviews are easy to find nowadays unlike 6-12 months ago.

No one knows how any SSD will perform long term under regular use. If the firmware will crap out or the chips or what. Even Samsungs had issues plenty with firmwares and other older SSDs were like minefields (OCZ and what not, mostly now gone under brands/sub-brands).
No reviewer does SSD burns using them 24/7 for years until failure, most just run off the shelf benches collect ad revenue and move on.

The E12 + Toshiba are rated high endurance, will they? Who knows.

Haven't heard of any new controllers and modules, drives in last 6 months. It's mostly PCIe4 controllers for expensive drives.
JackCY is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off