Does my NVME support Trim - Do i need to use it? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Does my NVME support Trim - Do i need to use it?

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Does my NVME support Trim - Do i need to use it?

Just got a brand new Adata SX8200 Pro and on crystal disk info it just lists S.M.A.R.T. under features i dont see trim to be reported there. How do i know if it supports it and if its enabled. Also do i need to run it manually and how often do i need to do so

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:41 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 407 (Unique: 273)
https://www.howtogeek.com/257196/how...it-if-it-isnt/

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I had already read the article, it isnt saying much.

DisableDeleteNotify checks if trim is supported and enabled in the OS, not the drive necessarily.

As for the windows optimize feature, can we really trust windows to tell if drive is optimised or not? IS there a btter way to tell, or some flag to check via the smart sensors?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:48 AM
Shooting down fallacies

The drive supports TRIM. You are way overthinking this and looking for problems that aren't there.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I just want to educate myself. Too frequent usage of trim means blocks are re-written and drive drops its lifetime, too absent means your speeds get worse overtime

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 474 (Unique: 320)
Quote: Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
I just want to educate myself. Too frequent usage of trim means blocks are re-written and drive drops its lifetime, too absent means your speeds get worse overtime

You misunderstood things. It's exactly reversed:

(1) You can't do too much TRIM. Doing TRIM is just sending information to the drive's controller. The more information the controller has about which parts of the drive are free, the better job it can do with its garbage collection work.

(2) The speed getting worse without TRIM is because the drive is rewriting blocks. The rewriting is what's causing the speed to drop.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by deepor View Post
You misunderstood things. It's exactly reversed:

(1) You can't do too much TRIM. Doing TRIM is just sending information to the drive's controller. The more information the controller has about which parts of the drive are free, the better job it can do with its garbage collection work.

(2) The speed getting worse without TRIM is because the drive is rewriting blocks. The rewriting is what's causing the speed to drop.
No this is exactly what im saying. But because trim is 0-filling a block, that block it adds a write cycle so its getting closer to its maximum lifetime. Too much trimming means more wear and tear

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 05:17 AM
Shooting down fallacies

No this is exactly what im saying. But because trim is 0-filling a block, that block it adds a write cycle so its getting closer to its maximum lifetime. Too much trimming means more wear and tear
http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-ne...an-ssd-primer/

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 05:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 474 (Unique: 320)
TRIM isn't really zero-filling a block. TRIM only means that information was sent to the SSD controller about what's not in use anymore by the PC. The SSD controller will not immediately wipe the block. It will at first only make a note that the block is not supposed to be in use anymore. The controller will then answer with zeroes when the PC asks about the data in the block. But those zeroes does not mean that the data on the real drive was actually wiped.

The controller can't immediately wipe a block. This is because in the NAND chips of the drive, you can only wipe a very large area at once. You cannot wipe just a single block because the wipe operation of the NAND chips also destroys many neighboring blocks as well. The controller waits with the actual wiping as long as it can. The PC might mark some of the neighboring blocks with TRIM and then the wipe operation has more worth.

To be concrete, the PC sees sectors of 512 bytes size on the drive. Those 512 bytes are the block size that is used in the TRIM command. In the real NAND chips, the "block erasure size" is much larger, it is for example 4MB. In this example, that would be 8192 blocks of 512 bytes size that will be wiped at once.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thank you guys, these last couple of answers were actually helpful. So should i just add a weekly task so that windows perform an automatic optimizing? Whats the best method of approach to keep the drive relatively fresh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in