Overclock.net banner

Moving from SSD to PCIe NVME

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  EarlZ 
#1 ·
I am currently using a Samsung Evo 860 and will be getting an ADATA X8200 1TB Pro very soon, would it be recommended to just clone the drive or will it take a performance hit ?

#3 ·
Just be aware that if you are intending to use the Samsung free cloning software the EVO needs to be installed in the system somewhere, not an external USB case. The samsung software searches for a valid samsung device beofre allowing you to fire it up and it does not recognise SSDs mounted by USB as legit.

#4 ·
In my experience -if we're talking about boot drives- I always do a fresh install.
It helps me make sure the drive is totally ok if I don't see any weird things happening during the install, and it also helps me clean out my windows installation. It's just my OCD. :D

Now, if they're not boot drives, cloning won't hurt a thing. Just make sure the partition is aligned. ;)

#6 ·
you're not really upgrading from an SSD lol, an NVME drive is still an SSD.

unless your install is bloated and in need of a reinstall, just clone it.

#7 ·
Since it is from a Samsung boot drive to an ADATA drive, will samsungs clone software still work ?

#8 ·
Samsung doesn't have a cloning software monopoly, lol.

use Partition Wizard or EaseUS Partition Master, both can handle drive/partition cloning.

#12 ·
Hi,
If you make or have a recent system image you can also simply restore it to the m.2

#13 ·
The move didnt went through, I got my nvme and installed it but decided to do the cloning the next day and its no longer detected by bios and windows diskmanager. Its model number,s/n is no longer showing up on adata's own ssdtool box and the temperature is reported at 65k

#19 ·
It no longer detects in BIOS and wont allow me to boot into windows if the drive is installed so I cant do the firmware update, I was able to take that screenshot before I turning off the PC and the drive died.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.