1 TB Sabrent rocket/Silicon power 3x4 for davinci resolve. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

1 TB Sabrent rocket/Silicon power 3x4 for davinci resolve.

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
1 TB Sabrent rocket/Silicon power 3x4 for davinci resolve.

The 500gb SSD that I'm currently using is starting to feel to little, since I'm going to start editing videos and I have to expand storage. Apart from that it is a TLC without DRAM and, as expected, writing is not its strong point, neither from the point of view of speed past 50% of capacity, the point of view of large files, nor from the point of view of useful life. Since I have to expand, the question is:

Is it worth spending € 150-160 a NVME with 3gb read / write, rather than spending € 120 on a samsung or crucial MLC sata3, or rather to what extent can I have expectations of taking advantage of the extra speed with davinci resolve and / or other editing software.

Both are TLC and use the phison e12 / e12s driver (which seems to be SLC). The estimated useful life of these is 1500tb. With files up to 25-30gb, it seems to hold about 1800-2000mb / s write. After that point they drop to 1000mb / s. I think it is enough for videos of up to 10min or photo editing.

I know that the amount seems small, but in that aspect there is no problem, since at any time I can pull an HDD of 1-2tb, or even buy more TLC without DRAM since the TB comes out at € 75 or something like that.

I live in Spain, Europe.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 08:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 296 (Unique: 218)
I don't really edit/encode videos so I don't know how CPU or GPU bound that task is.

However, I do rip 50-100GB 4K Blu-rays to a scratch SSD before offloading to NAS (first to ISO then to MKV trying to find correct playlists and tracks). The initial rip to ISO is bottlenecked by the Blu-ray drive but the subsequent rip from ISO (on SSD) to MKV (on same SSD) is pretty much storage bottlenecked on SATA.

I haven't tested this task yet on NVMe SSDs but on SATA III, simultaneous read/write on the same SSD is slower than pure read or pure write so I usually get throughput of around 150-200 MB/s.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 08:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Found a good article regarding DaVinci Resolve recommended hardware.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomme...ecommendations

Quote:
SSDs are several times faster than a platter drive but are also more expensive. These drives are excellent for a wide range of tasks such as holding your OS and applications, storing media and projects you are actively working on, or as a cache/scratch drive.

NVMe drives come in two flavors (M.2 and U.2), but either one will be significantly faster than even an SSD drive. They are about 30% more expensive than an SSD, but in return are up to five times faster! However, in most cases you will not see much of a performance increase with a NVMe drive since a modern standard SSD is already fast enough that it is rarely a performance bottleneck. High bitrate footage (~2,000 mbps or higher) is typically the only time where having your media on NVMe drive is necessary for DaVinci Resolve.
They're not super accurate in their terminology (e.g. using SSD to mean SATA SSD only when NVMe are SSDs as well) but otherwise, the recommendations seem quite sound.

By the way, I think you probably meant TLC SATA3 SSD (e.g. Crucial MX500, Samsung 860 EVO) in the OP. MLC SATA3 such as the Samsung 860 Pro are too expensive considering you can get a much faster TLC NVMe SSD for lower price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I always thought that 860 evo and mx500 were mlc because they could maintain 500mb writing with really big files.
And ye, i wouldn't waste my money on a PRO for less than 10min 4k videos, coming from a phone.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 09:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

NAND speeds have increased and capacity plays a role as well. Consider that the 500GB and 1TB 960 EVO NVMe with TLC NAND same as the 860 EVO have advertised sustained sequential writes of 600 and 1200MB/s respectively.

That just goes to show how much of a bottleneck the SATA interface is. Alas, QLC is a huge step back. The 860 and 870 QVO only do 80MB/s sustained sequential write on 1TB capacity and 160MB/s on 2-8TB.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post
NAND speeds have increased and capacity plays a role as well. Consider that the 500GB and 1TB 960 EVO NVMe with TLC NAND same as the 860 EVO have advertised sustained sequential writes of 600 and 1200MB/s respectively.

That just goes to show how much of a bottleneck the SATA interface is. Alas, QLC is a huge step back. The 860 and 870 QVO only do 80MB/s sustained sequential write on 1TB capacity and 160MB/s on 2-8TB.
Damn. Well i think ill pull the trigger on the sabrent, it's 10€ cheaper than the SP and they're literally the same drive.....

Question: i have a goldenfir 480 drive. As far as i know it's TLC dramless, with a motion sm2258xt controller. Some1 in reddit says it's identical with a crucial bx300. As you can imagine writing speeds are horrifying, however for a read only drive and considering I'm barely writing on it.... at very best 5tb a year. It's been great untill now (1.5years), and I'm considering to buy another of 1tb as a gaming drive. It's really cheap compared to anything i can lay my hands on locally. It's like 70% the price of the cheapest.

What do you think about it, and the drive itself for the intended use. Idc about data loss, customer service, or the quality of the manufacturer, but what do you think about the format.....you know TLC, dramless, and with that controler used mostly for reading???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in