AS SSD Benchmark thread
This benchmark uses non-compressible completely RANDOM data, so Sandforce drives won't produce "super-fast" numbers like they do in ATTO.
Also writing a whole bunch of non-compressible data to the drive quickly has reportedly pushed a few Sandforce drives into "write throttled" mode, basically Sandforce users have been warned
Why use this benchmark? Because it has a scoring system that is based around a mix of sequential AND RANDOM reads and writes, that's why!
AS SSD Benchmark shows the storage controller driver name, and the offset/alignment, right on the screenshot, very handy to make sure you're using the driver you thought you were...
User XSCounter recommends you to install your storage controller drivers if you have not already to improve your performance.
The second post in this thread has the links to the various storage controller drivers.
So I created a spreadsheet, to compare and rank the results of your SSD tuning and new hardware purchases.
Run the benchmark, post a screenshot, then fill in the form.
Get the AS SSD Benchmark: Download page
(download button is at the bottom of the page below the donation links)
Benchmark Settings: Please set the "View" to MB/s and make sure all the boxes on the left are ticked.
Click this link to enter your results
Please let me know if you think the form needs a change.
Sheet colour coding:
White = Not yet verified
Yellowish = AHCI mode
Light Purple = IDE mode
Orange = RAID mode
Every week or two, I will be sorting the list by score highest overall score at the top... If you get a good result you'll be at the top of the list!
TOP 3 for each controller type: (last updated: 2011-09-30)
RAID TOP 3
- Pc Cosmos - 2007 - Super Talent RGS0512 + Vertex 2 (x6) (total 720GB ??)
- sgilmore62 - 1516 - 3x Vertex LE 100GB + 1x Vertex 2 90GB on Intel ICH10R
- wimcle - 1430 - 4x OCZ Agility 2 90GB on Intel ICH10R
Marvell-based (Crucial RealSSD C300, M4, Intel 510 series, Corsair Performance Series 3)
- Flaeor - 724 - Crucial C300 256GB on Marvell 9128
- Rikal - 711 - Crucial C300 128GB on Intel P67 PCH
- gjtbackwards - 705 - Crucial M4 128GB on (Intel Z68 PCH or Marvell 91xx?)
Sandforce-based (SF-1000 and SF-2000 series, Vertex 2, Vertex 3, Force 3 etc)
- TC_Fenua - 731 - OCZ Vertex 3 240GB on Intel P67 PCH
- Anekin007 - 724 - Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120GB on Intel P67 PCH
- ChocoboLIVE - 724 - Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120GB on Intel P67 PCH
Intel-based (Intel X18/X25, 3xx series, 7xx series)
- Blackcurrent - 468 - X25-M 80GB on Intel ICH10R
- SirCumference - 462 - X25-M 120GB on Intel ICH10R
- Myrlin - 458 - X25-M 80GB on Intel ICH10R
Indilinx-based (OCZ Vertex 1, Corsair Nova etc)
- infected rat - 236 - OCZ Vertex 128GB on Intel ICH10R
- Deagle50ae - 235 - Corsair Nova V128 128GB on Intel ICH10R
- ekko - 215 - OCZ Agility 64GB on Intel ICH9R
Other SSDs (JMicron, Samsung etc)
- syntax32 - 317 - Samsung 470 Series 128GB on Intel ICH10R
- Sainesk - 159 - A-Data S596 Turbo 32GB on AMD SB850
- drizek - 151 - Apple SSD TS128C 121GB on Nvidia MCP89
The CrystalDiskMark SSD bench thread
HDTune 2.55 Results
The Indilinx SSD Status Thread
Disclaimer: Don't benchmark your SSD too much!
I've found all my useful screen-shot-filled tutorial posts, roughly in the order you would use them:
- Setting up a fresh copy of Windows
- Moving your Windows install onto an SSD without reinstalling (using only Windows 7 Backup)
- Recommended basic disk-space saving tips (after installing or moving your Windows)
- Moving your media (Videos, Music, Pictures etc) folders onto a secondary drive easily with Windows GUI only (no reg-hacks)
- Moving Steam Games back and forth between SSD and HDD
Useful firmware, drivers, and utility links:
Storage Controller drivers:
For improved performance
(Thanks to XSCounter for the suggestion)
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver
(Sort by date, English-speakers: the top option "iata_enu" is a smaller file)
AMD RAID/SATA Drivers
(you'll need to choose nForce or Legacy as a "Product Type")
Highpoint RocketRAID cards etc
(Generic drivers not supplied, see manufacturer of card)
(Generic drivers not supplied, see manufacturer of motherboard or card)
Tools / Benchmarks:
AS SSD Benchmark
FreeSpaceCleaner (bottom download link - 10KB)
SSD life (show health and writes consumed)
ATTO Disk Benchmark
Using hdparm to Secure Erase a drive
DBAN (Darik's Boot And Nuke)
Secure Erase Utility (second link)
Firmware and brand-specific tools and support:
Intel SSD FW and Tools
OCZ SSD Downloads
OCZ support forums (downloads and everything in here)
OCZ Indilinx-based drives FW and tools
OCZ Sandforce-based drives FW
Crucial FW and Tools (M225 and C300 downloads)
Support page, firmware in their forums
G.Skill firmware forums
Super Talent UltraDrive FW and Tools (bottom of page)
Mushkin SSD forums (FW updates and such are in here)
Kingston also doesn't have an obvious download page, but here is their SSD Support page
Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB SATA on ICH7
EDIT: Finally got my Intel installed; results comparison post
Its not letting me edit the spreadsheet no permission. I got my SSD in February
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|