Definitive answer on the 'do you need to leave unallocated space' question - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Definitive answer on the 'do you need to leave unallocated space' question

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Hi guys

Wondering if the SSD experts out there can enlighten me on the old chestnut: Is it necessary to leave unallocated, unpartitioned space on your new SSD to enable and sustain max performance?

There is a TON of literature out there, some saying you need to leave 25% free space, others 15%, and still others say with modern firmware & TRIM its a load of garbage (pun intended).

Specifically Intel X25-V (40Gb) and X25-M G2 (160Gb). I have them both on the way (40Gb for media center, 160Gb for gaming rig, both Win7x64 so should do TRIM).

I've been doing my homework, I've got the latest intel driver for my gaming rig ICH10R, and I've removed the nforce driver on my media center 9300m chipset and reverted to win7 stock. If I do need to 'short stroke' it like a traditional RAID I can easily get the system files down to require .85 of the capacity or whatever the recommended figure is so its not a question of feasibility, I just need to know the 'correct' answer (I realise it may not be black and white answer)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 101 (Unique: 88)
To be honest, there is no simple yes or no answer. It all depends on whether the drive in question has its own built-in over provisioning or not. For example:
The OZC Vertex LE DOES have over provisioning that cannot be used by the user. In this case, fill er up.
The Patriot M28 does NOT have any real over provisioning, so the number is 90-95% (depending on use).
My general rule of thumb is if it has its own area to mess with, I am gonna use up mine. If not, I will give it 5-10% to play with.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK, what about the Intel X25 160Gb Gen2, and the X25-V 40Gb?
I got both on the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
my intels have 149/160gb, so it seems so

edit; as in, the drives are showing a max of 149 when they are each 80, so it seems they reserve space

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 52)
On an Intel drive, you will want to leave free space. On a 160GB drive, I would recommend you create a primary partition/s totalling 140GB, and leave 20GB free space. The rule of thumb is 15%-20%, but you will be fine with that.
Tbh though, it isn't nessecary.

So you want to buy a Solid State Drive? Check out my pre-purchase guide for a run down on the fundamentals
Already have a Solid State Drive? Read magic-man's Windows 7 optimization guide

Need convincing? Check out these benchmark threads:
AS SSD Benchmarks
Crystal Disc Mark Benchmarks

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah I was thinking just to be on the safe side. My current primary drive is a 150Gb raptor so going down to 140 Gb isn't an issue.

For the system with the X25-V, its a media center so trivial to shrink the system partition to say 30Gb.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
No. You do not have to leave unprovision space as long as you are aware of the free space left.

In case you NEED the space, you can always use it at the cost of the drive's performance.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 144 (Unique: 119)
Quote:
No. You do not have to leave unprovision space as long as you are aware of the free space left.
I like to see a test between no partition, a partition that has been formatted but not used, and partition that is in the RAW state after cleaning with HDDErase.

Personally, I have a 20% partition in the RAW state and it's kept my performance the same as new.....and both my current G2s are used RMAs.

Can't get much better than that.

Since there's no definative answer, I'm staying with what works for me.

Edit....I'm using RAID0 so TRIM doesn't enter my equation.

I can't stand phonies, liars, and thieves.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 144 (Unique: 119)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyedi View Post
my intels have 149/160gb, so it seems so

edit; as in, the drives are showing a max of 149 when they are each 80, so it seems they reserve space
80GBs formatted is 74.3GB.

I can't stand phonies, liars, and thieves.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 383 (Unique: 259)
All drives will slow down considerably under HEAVY LOAD, where they have no let up to do some clean up.

Most drives have spare area

Intel drives have around 7.3% spare area...

The definitive answer is NO.

Not SATA III it's SATA 6Gbit/s
SATA cables are SATA cables, no such thing as a "SATA 6Gbit/s cable"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in