The Powerful Pretty Pink Processor (aka, "The PPPP") - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The Powerful Pretty Pink Processor (aka, "The PPPP")

post #1 of 1562 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 228 (Unique: 158)
Project Name: The Powerful Pretty Pink Processor

Project Name Reasoning:
I’m a creature of habit. My last buildlog, The Big Budget Boomer Box, was lots of fun to do, and rang up a ton of views. So….why not play off that name so that it’s got some immediate name recognition? Right? But same as last time, I’m way to lazy to type out The Powerful Pretty Pink Processor very often….so henceforth, it shall be referred to as….[drumroll].....The PPPP. Powerful? Yes….it will have some first rate components in there. Pretty? Yep. This build is for my [much] better half. And my wife cares more about how it looks….than what type of components are in there. Pink? Yes. Because she wants it that way. Actually….pink and black was her request. Pink and black together could look very sexy if done right. Plus, …. P > B. That’s just science.

Goals:
This machine will be used primarily for placing online Scentsy orders, and browsing Pinterest. I’m not kidding. Ok...maybe a little. But not much. But just because it’s primary purpose doesn’t require a lot of horsepower, doesn’t mean that I’m not going to make sure it would be capable of handling any chore thrown at it. The term “overkill” gets way overused these days. But it definitely describes what I’m going to do here. She doesn’t need a lot of powerful components to follow her Facebook friends. But she’s going to get it anyway. Overkill. And honestly...do you have any proof that she won’t be able to tweet faster with a pair of 780 Ti’s and a 5.0 Ghz processor? I didn’t think so. Again….science.

Teaser for Case Assembly:
pppp_animated_5meg.gif

Updates:
There is nothing worse than a dead and unfinished build thread. We’ve all felt the abandonment and depression this causes at some point in our forum lives. So first and foremost, I promise to finish. I made that promise with The BBBB and I’ll make it again here with The PPPP. The BBBB took about a year and a half to finish….but that build was something special. I’m planning on this build being more like a 3 to 4 month project, because I’ve got plans for another build this summer. I also promise frequent updates, with lots of pictures. Just like The BBBB, The PPPP will be very picture heavy. Lets be honest with each other....I’m already starting to bore you with all of this typing....right? Pictures are what makes us love the build threads, and I promise lots of them. I did a few videos in my last build log, and will probably expand on that concept for this build. So click “subscribe” now. Go on. Do it before you forget. Yes...now. This opening post will be edited as the build progresses with an Index and links to any significant progress updates. I’ll also update the Hardware Status parts list shown below, as I order and acquire the parts, and/or change my mind on what to get.

Build Log Index:

Hardware Status:
This section will be treated a little differently than in my last build log. I’m partnering with several sponsors for this build, and I don’t want to limit myself or them with the direction this build takes. My goal is to make it pretty, pink and powerful. Their goal is to showcase some of their nice components. Let’s just see where it goes, shall we? Instead of listing everything that I think I’ll get in advance, I’ll just list and show the components off with pictures as they come in. Plus...since this build will be about three orders of magnitude quicker than The BBBB was...I think it’s unnecessary to list off stuff in advance that might change anyway.

• Case - CaseLabs Mercury S8

• Main Components
  • Memory - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2133 Mhz C9
  • PSU - Corsair AX1500i Platinum
  • Storage - 2x Corsair GTX 240GB SSD - RAID0

• Cooling
  • Radiators - 3x EKWB XTX 240 Rads
  • Fans - 18x Corsair SP120 and 4x Corsair AF120
  • Pumps - 2x EK D5 Pumps, EK Pump Tops and EK Pump Covers
  • Reservoir - EK X3 150
  • Fittings - EK CSQ Fittings
  • Tubing - EK-HD Acrylic Tubing
  • CPU Block - EK Supremacy Clean Nickel

• Pretty It Up
  • Wire - Lutro0 Customs Wire
  • Sleeving - Lutro0 Customs Telios Sleeving

• Lots more fun stuff to be announced soon!

My sincerest thanks to these wonderful companies for sponsoring all of the PPPP hardware....

What You Can Expect Along the Way:
While I’m not ready to give away all the components yet, I’m more than willing to share some of the things you can expect to see on The PPPP’s journey to completion:

• Custom Length Wiring
  • Lots of Pink
  • Sleeving
  • Hard Tubing
  • Dramatic Lighting
  • Cable Sewing
  • Custom Powder Coating
  • Perhaps Some Dyeing?
  • Lots of Pink
  • Lots of Black
  • Lots of Nickel
  • Lots of Pink (did I mention that?)

So subscribe now and let me entertain you with lots of computer hardware shots this spring. And some pink.

Signature Worthy Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathik7 go_quote.gif

if it annoys you so much please refrain from seeing it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis24 go_quote.gif

Ok so here is my report....IT AIN"T HAPPENING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1562 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 10:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 89 (Unique: 68)
Sounds like fun... (and a good way to keep the better half happy!)

(just be careful about the shade of pink you use... P > B ??? Pepto Bismol Pink?) tongue.gif

Subbed!

CPU-Z OC Validation 4.44Ghz on Workstation
Current Build I am working on
You think Computers are an expensive hobby? HAH! Try photography, lol! thumb.gif
Workstation Rebuild LOG - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - .D600 Build Log (in progress)
post #3 of 1562 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgipson1 View Post

Sounds like fun... (and a good way to keep the better half happy!)

(just be careful about the shade of pink you use... P > B ??? Pepto Bismol Pink?) tongue.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Subbed!

Wonder if I could use Pepto as the coolant. Keep temps down while soothing the pumps. Science!

Quote:

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1562 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Looking forward to this one, what case are we expecting to see here?

Quote:
"Set your mind, soul, and heart upon doing everything necessary to become your best".-Coach Duane Lee Bemis M.Ed.
My Clubs (Click to show)
post-flame-small.gif Teen Overclockers Club post-flame-small.gif The OCN Brass Club post-flame-small.gif Overclock.net Mechanical Keyboard Club post-flame-small.gif Corsair Obsidian Club post-flame-small.gif Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs post-flame-small.gif Corsair 350D Owners Club post-flame-small.gif Overclock.net Watercooling Club post-flame-small.gif Mayhems Users Club post-flame-small.gif 4GHz Club post-flame-small.gif
Build Logs (Click to show)

post #5 of 1562 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver1234 View Post

Looking forward to this one, what case are we expecting to see here?

Excellent question....and one I put a lot of thought into. My thought process behind arriving at an answer is long enough to deserve its own post....which will be up shortly. redface.gif

Quote:

Quote:

post #6 of 1562 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Selecting a case is usually the first decision I make when starting a new build. In fact, it’s usually a case that inspires me to want to do a build in the first place. For this build, I didn't start with an idea about what case I wanted to use….but rather I had some specific criteria that needed to be met by the case, that I’ll describe below. Not incredibly exciting stuff, but it may help someone think through the right issues when selecting their own next case, and it will give you a good idea about why I ended up selecting the case I did.

Size: As I’ve previously mentioned, this build is for the wife-y, and it will be sitting on top of a built-in desk in her office area. Here is a picture of where it will ultimately reside.

That red arrow points to the space to the left of the TV, where the computer will sit on top of the desk area.

Because of some cabinetry that hangs on the wall above the desk top, the maximum height for the case would be just about 21.5 inches. But that height would put it right up next to the cabinetry, so I’m shooting for a case that is 19 inches or shorter for height, so that I’ll have some room between the top of the case and the cabinet. I have plenty of room width wise, and have no requirements there. I’m shooting at keeping it less than 20 inches wide so that it doesn't take up too much desk-top space. Depth wise, I have about 22 inches to play with, although I don’t want the case running right up next to the edge of the desk. So...I’m shooting for a depth of less than 20 inches.

So to summarize, less than 19 inches tall, less than 20 inches wide, and less than 20 inches deep, are the dimensions I’m looking for in this case….based on the location where it will be kept.

With size as the only criteria to consider, I had a lot of cases that fit the bill.

Radiator Capacity Available: I’m a water cooler. Not only do I love how much quieter and effective water cooling is when compared to just air cooling, ...I also love how it looks, and even the maintenance involved. For me...it just makes it a fun project when you're messing with pumps and tubing and fittings and waterblocks. In my last build, I ended up with more than 120.24 worth of rad space. That’s a lot. Clearly not necessary. But it was fun. It also allowed me to keep my fans spinning at about 600 rpm….while maintaining very low deltas. For this build, I won’t be cooling as many components, and plan to have much more normal radiator capacity. Right now, it looks like the loop will be cooling the CPU, 2x GPU’s, and the motherboard. I think that 120.6 worth of radiator capacity will be more than adequate for what I’m trying to do with this build.

So to summarize, the case for this build needs to be able to hold 2x 360 rads, or 3x 240 rads. I think either combination would serve my needs. Or even 2x 240’s and 2x 120’s….if that fit the space in the case easier.

The number of cases that fit both the size criteria and the radiator capacity criteria….was a much smaller number.

Motherboard Form Factor Supported: In my household, we typically have anywhere from 3 to 6 computers up and running at one time...and maybe more in various stages of tear down or completion. For me, it helps if I can swap components around between builds and cases, as I’m tweaking one or working on another. That includes motherboards. So I have a general rule that all my cases need to support at least a standard ATX size motherboard, if not something larger. Never smaller.

With size, radiator capacity, and form factor criteria all being considered at once...it’s a surprisingly small number of cases that would actually fit all of these criteria.

Case Aesthetics: I’ve mentioned already that this build is for the wife-y. One of her requirements is that it be pretty. For me, one of the ways to make a case pretty, is to have lots of case windows so that you can see inside the case, and then make sure that you have all the inside touches that make a build look sexy. Custom length wires, sleeving, lighting, etc. So ideally, this case will have as many large windows as possible, because I plan to put a lot of killer touches inside that need to be shown off.

Case Material: This is not as important to me as the other criteria, but I still have my favorite material. I’ve built in steel cases, aluminum cases, and plastic cases. Each has their own pros/cons I guess. But my favorite material so far has been my last case that was all aluminum. Aluminum ends up being so easy to work with if you need to mod the case a little, and cut out something here, or drill a new hole there. And it’s so much lighter than steel, while not feeling as cheap as some plastic paneling cases. So I would prefer aluminum, even though this is not a hard requirement. .

Now….many of you have probably already zeroed in on what case I might have picked...because there are simply not many cases that fit all these criteria. So...without any further pontification by me, let me present to you the case that was my first choice for this build. The CaseLabs Mercury S8!

For me...and this particular build….this really was the best choice in cases I think I could make. Right size, right radiator capacity, right motherboard form factor support…..lots of window optons...all aluminum. This case fits this project. I’ve never built in a horizontal motherboard layout before, so that should make this build extra fun for me. I’m also thrilled and humbled to report that when I approached CaseLabs with my proposed project, they agreed to partner with me for this build and are officially my first sponsor for the project! That's probably worthy of a banner, right? thumb.gif

I didn’t post too many pictures of the case yet because these are readily available on the CaseLabs website. My personal Mercury S8 is already in process of being built right now, so I’ll flood with you with some high quality pictures after it’s received, which should be soon. Maybe even a video or two of the assembly. Mine will be a special color though (multiple hints already given), and I’ll talk about the process of selecting that color in my next update.

More updates soon!

Quote:

Quote:

post #7 of 1562 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 07:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 830 (Unique: 654)
gonna sub to this, my daughter loves to look at pink themed builds.

Interested to see what comes of this.

Why I fold:

sad-smiley-002.gifLost: Father: Liver Cancer '08, Aunt: Ovarian Cancer '96, Aunt: Brain Cancer, '13, Grandmother: Bone Cancer '99,
thumb.gifWinning; Brother-in-Law: Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - 11 yrs; Brother-in-Law: Pancreatic Cancer - 4 yrs; Mother-in-Law: Breast cancer - 22 years, Ureter Cancer 1 year!

post #8 of 1562 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 07:19 AM
Amiga 500

Rep: 137 (Unique: 109)
Subbed for sure.. biggrin.gif
"She doesn’t need a lot of powerful components to follow her Facebook friends. But she’s going to get it anyway" lol!!!!
That's the OCN way cool.gif

Enthoo Evolv
(21 items)
Air 240
(16 items)
Transformer Book
(10 items)
CPU
i7 4790K
Motherboard
Asus Gryphon Z97 Armor Edition
GPU
msi 1070 Ti Gaming
RAM
Hyper X Savage
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
WD Red
Hard Drive
WD Black
Power Supply
Cooler Master V850
Cooling
Corsair H75
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX TG
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2713HM
Monitor
Samsung Syncmaster P2470HD TV monitor
Keyboard
Magicforce 68 - Gateron Red Switches
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mousepad
Corsair Vengeance MM200 Extended
Audio
Creative Gigaworks T40 SeriesII
Audio
FiiO Olympus 2 E10K
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 990
Other
Phankteks Halos and RGB strip 40cm
CPU
i5-4670
Motherboard
ASRock z97m Pro4
GPU
SAPPHIRE R9 290 Vapor-X OC 4Gb
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro
Hard Drive
Mushkin Triactor 120gb SSD
Hard Drive
HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1Tb
Power Supply
Corsair HX620W
Cooling
Cryorig C7
Cooling
Corsair SP120 Purple LED X4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 240 White edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Samsung UE46D6500 46" 3D LED smart TV
Keyboard
Anne Pro-Gateron Blues
Mouse
Connect IT Ci-156
Audio
Sony DAV-DZ860W Home Theater
Other
BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 60cm RGB Magnetic LEDs
CPU
Intel Atom Quad Core Z3740 (1.33-1.86GHz)
GPU
Intel HD Graphics(Ivy Bridge)
RAM
2 GB DDR3
Hard Drive
32 GB eMMC
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 128gb
Hard Drive
Kingston 16Gb Micro SD
Case
iPearl mCover Hard Shell Case - Blue
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 32-bit
Monitor
10.1" IPS (1368 x 768)
Mouse
Logitech M560
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 1562 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 11:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Sounds like a "pretty" interesting build if u know wat i mean biggrin.gif Subbed!

Quote:
"I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" - 11th Doctor

post #10 of 1562 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 04:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
An S8 build? I'm curious to see what you'll think up with this one!!! Any modding involved, or mostly stock stuff????? biggrin.gif

Quote:
"Set your mind, soul, and heart upon doing everything necessary to become your best".-Coach Duane Lee Bemis M.Ed.
My Clubs (Click to show)
post-flame-small.gif Teen Overclockers Club post-flame-small.gif The OCN Brass Club post-flame-small.gif Overclock.net Mechanical Keyboard Club post-flame-small.gif Corsair Obsidian Club post-flame-small.gif Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs post-flame-small.gif Corsair 350D Owners Club post-flame-small.gif Overclock.net Watercooling Club post-flame-small.gif Mayhems Users Club post-flame-small.gif 4GHz Club post-flame-small.gif
Build Logs (Click to show)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in