[OCN Showcase] Silverstone Rackmounted Server! [w/ Team Group, Biostar and Seagate!] - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OCN Showcase] Silverstone Rackmounted Server! [w/ Team Group, Biostar and Seagate!]

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

[OCN Showcase] Silverstone Rackmounted Server! [w/ Team Group, Biostar and Seagate!]

Hey guys, yet another build, but this one is quite different and updates will be done on a per part basis, explaining a bit the hardware used.

Let's start off by the case.

This case is a Silverstone RM21-308, it features eight front storage caddies and is the perfect candidate for a server at just 2U height. There's also two internal 2.5" drive spots. It has the potential to house either an mATX or mITX system with four low profile expansion slots and for up to ATX sized PSUs.

Has anyone here ever looked at Silverstone server case options?

--------------------

Hardware used

Last edited by Duality92; 09-04-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

As far as PSU goes, I opted for the Nightjar NJ600 Passive 600W 80+ Titanium PSU, Seasonic is the OEM of this PSU, so it hints quality all around, if I remember correctly, they take higher wattage units and remove the fan, change some other minor details and create passive PSUs this way.

Cables are nice and thick helping keep this cool and secure.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:30 PM
Just living in a van...

Rep: 124 (Unique: 100)
I'd absolutely love to try out one of these (or its 4U brethren!) but the cost is, unfortunately, better put towards hard disks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

Hi there!

As far as motherboard goes, I wanted something low power, as all this will serve as is my photography backup and cloud storage for a few friends of mine. (end destination isn't even my house for this project! As a good buddy of mine who works in the home automation integration field and complete smart home audio integration has a 300/300 connection, while the most that comes to my house is 40/10, T_T).

Anyways, I digress. The motherboard is a Biostar A10N-8800E at version 6.0. They recently released 6.1 which features a slightly bigger heatsink and a bigger fan setup for it too, because some people have complained of high temperatures, Biostar was quick to resolve that issue.

The Biostar motherboard has a SoC AMD FX-8800P, which is sort like a SoC version of the AM1 platform, it features quad cores and a performance roughly equivalent in multi-core to a i5-6200U. (which is 2C/4T) so you can assume it has less performance in ST, but overall, as I said, roughly equivalent performance. Two DIMM slots, which support up to 16GB DIMMs with an m.2 port that has SATA and PCIE compatability. I wanted something versatile as I'm always changing stuff around and upgrading my stuff.

This little CPU is more than enough for my file server and cloud storage for 3-5 people.

The biggest advantage of this platform versus AM1 is that it features a full X16 PCIE 3.0 slot compared to the X4 PCIE 2.0 slot of AM1 (that means it has 8x the PCIE bandwith) and the fact is can use DDR4 instead of DDR3.

PRODUCT LINK

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

As far as RAM goes, I wanted to max out this platform, to ensure best performance out of this little CPU. Team Group came crashing through the doors with a 32GB kit for this board. This ram is TeamGroups Vulcan 2400 MHZ C15 kit, which runs at 2133 15-15-15 on this board. Low profile, low height and great capacity, this RAM equiped with a heatsink is a no brainer for this PC.

Another good feature of having this board in this case, is that servers have air flow from front to back, which this board has it's ram aligned with, it helps with dissipation heat on each module equally compared to having them perpendicular, with each module getting blocked by the first one.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

What am I doing with all of these? Plan is to have these in a RAID array, with a 4TB 2.5" drive as internal off controller backup and the 1.92TB SSD as OS, VM and game server.

Total storage is 118TB of storage on this build! Ready for more? Howbout running them in a RAID 0 for fun!!!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
What RAID controller are you using?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

Quote: Originally Posted by Vassilij View Post
What RAID controller are you using?
Raid controller itself is a LSI 9218, but it's the Silverstone ECS04 card Has miniSAS-8087 ports for this case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in