Project "Headless Linux CLI Multiple GPU Boinc Server" - Ubuntu Server 12.04.4/14.04.1 64bit - Using GPU's from GeForce GT610/GT640/GTX750ti/+ to crunch data. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Project "Headless Linux CLI Multiple GPU Boinc Server" - Ubuntu Server 12.04.4/14.04.1 64bit - Using GPU's from GeForce GT610/GT640/GTX750ti/+ to crunch data.

post #11 of 347 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Dr. Boincinstein

looks sweet man. smile.gif nice job thumb.gif

OCN'S WhatPulse team, come join us!
OCN's Boinc Team. Come Join Us!!
My Boinc Project's Stats
_.=5GHz Overclock Club=._
"All is Fair in Love And Boinc." : DarkRyder
"May the Boinc be with you... always." : DarkRyder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 347 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Hello DarkRyder,

Thanks, thats nice of you to say wink.gif

We still doesn't cracked the case! Tried several distros, in several different ways. OpenCL/CUDA, trough Wine, but the only one that works is when using GUI. I DONT WANT GUI! Not for a number crunching Rack-mounted rig wink.gif

I just made a post at howtoforge, where I fell on my knee's to have some of the Linux Guru's to come to our aid. I've been trying for more than 1 1/2 month. Day in and day out.

I found a guy in the Netherlands, Mr. Gert-Jan, and he had some pretty exiting suggestions. And he did it using .deb files so that e.g. manual blacklisting of nouveau etc. wasn't necessary. But of course a new problem occurred. A warning was written a the Nvidia CUDA toolkit download site "...*** The CUDA 5.5 Debian packages are not compatible with Ubuntu 12.04 after the 12.04.4 LTS update. Please use the .run installer instead.." And being the big f...... idiot that I am, the .run file needs to many manually doings!

I also tried to make a installation of Ubuntu Server 12.04.4 and then installing the minimum required packages for X to get the GPU running. This, of course, didn't work either. Well it works, for 10 minutes it looks like. The GPU temp. rises and rises and then after about 10 minutes it drops. Not sure it did any work at all.

Well, I guess it may end in a compromise. A GUI rig doing a CLI rigs job.

After making all these attempts trying to solve the issue, I'm so confused I cant remember exactly what I tried and what I didn't try. I've been doing about 430-450 setups. 5-6 diff. distros. I hope, mayby someone will feel sorry for me and show me how it has to be done wink.gif

I've been working now for 23 hours straight. Needs 1 hour of rest wink.gif I'll be back...

But thank you for the kind words... Nice to know someone keeps an interest in what you are doing, right wink.gif

Primary discussions:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/418202/cuda-programming-and-performance/cuda-working-on-ubuntu-desktop-not-on-ubuntu-server/1/
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=73032&postid=1484254#1484254
http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?p=310905#post310905

Primary info sites:
http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-getting-started-guide-for-linux/index.html
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/cuda.php
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Cuda

Kind Regards,
Dan
post #13 of 347 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 06:49 PM
2+2=5

I haven't gone through all of your issues/threads yet, but I will throw 12.04 LTS Server on one of my rigs and see what I can come up with.  I have successfully used headless nodes for CUDA rendering, so I would think that BOINCing with a headless NVIDIA GPU should be possible.

Just to make sure that I understand what you would like to accomplish, can you confirm that the following is your goal?

• Install BOINC on headless 12.04 LTS Server
  • Use NVIDIA 640 to crunch CUDA and/or OpenCL tasks
  • Control headless rig from Windows 7 using SSH/Putty

First off, I would recommend controlling BOINC with BOINCTasks from your Windows 7 rig, because BOINC Tasks has a very powerful GUI, that can do everything (and more), that you would want to do using boinccmd. 

I will work on this over the next few days, and see what I can come up with.  

Regardless of the outcome, your dedication to getting this up and running is pretty impressive. :thumb: 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 347 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi Guys,

I did it! Ubuntu Server Edition all CLI and no GUI, CPU & GPU running Boinc or is it the other way around?! Here's the proof:

Ooops... Here it is a little larger wink.gif

I will make a nice ToDo when I'm all done wink.gif There's a couple of issues yet. I still need to check if it runs headless and with 2 or more GPU's. And then there's the shell script which checks temperature of CPU, GPU & HDD. And I would like to have some fan control as well. But the biggest issue is solved wink.gif

I'll be back wink.gif

Kind Regards,
Dan
post #15 of 347 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 AM
Dr. Boincinstein

sweet man, gj. thumb.gif

My Boinc Project's Stats

post #16 of 347 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi guys,

Sorry TicTac, I didn't notice your post before right now. Sorry!!! It was 5:30 am here in Denmark, and my eyes had a funny shape wink.gif

DarkRyder, thank you for those kind words rolleyes.gif

I'm so very interested in hearing what you find, because I want to make the fastest possible cruncher. I've just ordered the 3 system for testing a VM on a CLI environment like Ubuntu Server. A guy from berkeley had a great idea. So this will have to be tested too. But we did it!! We are now crunching without X-server running.

Next step. To check if it works with multiple GPU's and headless. And then I will install Aerocool hardware based Fan control. Newer mobo's like to control fans for you. This is not very good, when you are having GPU's and CPU running at 100%.
I've got a script where CPU/GPU/HDD temperature will be monitored and if something gets hot you are warned with an email, at the same time as the warning from X-vision, the fan-controller from Aerocool warns you. If something gets too hot (a limit chosen by you) the shell script run by CRON e.g. once a minute, will shut the server down. This way, if you should have a hardware defect there's 2 watchdogs keeping an eye on the system. I'm working on a little peace of electronic too. This will include the fans into the script. So that you will be warned if a fan crashes.
The 2U case I use, has 4 heavy duty fans, and the 5 and last fan which X-vision controls, will be the CPU fan of course. An industrial 2U fan which keeps the CPU at a nice 49 degrees celsius. Sensors will be placed around in the case, on the CPU of course, THE GPU's RAM, and PSU!

Lets see how it goes.

Thanks for the interest you guys, it's not everywhere you get that kind of attention wink.gif

Kind Regards
Dan Hansen
post #17 of 347 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi guys,

While doing these last things, I'll decided to order the 3 test system. This is a Asus board with 4 x PCIe 3.0 x16. Actually it has got 5, but the fifth can't be used for this. There's no room. This means that the 3 test will be a system with 4 GPU's. 4 Asus GeForce GT640 either PCIe 3.0 or 2.0. Doesn't matter in this case. It's not the bus speed I'm after, it's the GPU rendering time we like wink.gif
And I will still be using the Intel i53570K CPU which has a great performance compared to the price and performance of i7-xxxx. Said in another way, it's not that much you gain using almost twice as much. In Denmark, one of the larger i7 cost about 500 US$. So should there be anyone out there who should be visiting Denmark in the near future, please don't hesitate to fill your pockets with i7's 6core for little me wink.gif

This mobo looks like it hasn't got the issues from test system 1 and 2. On the flip side, there were several large disgusting component legs, with large solder points. Large as my a.. wink.gif But with this mobo it looks like the bracket for the industrial 2U CPU fan is in the clear wink.gif

The system will be fitted with 4 of these Low Profile Graphic Cards:

Here's a test where we can see that in windows environments the GT640 sucks! But when being put to the test on a 64bit Linux System something happens! This is why I'm using this card, and because it's the best low profile card. After all, I am trying to design a system which is not so pricey, but still does a very good job when running in a headless CLI environment wink.gif

Kind Regards
Dan Hansen
post #18 of 347 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Very interesting project you have going on, but you seem to have chosen relatively low end GPUs considering the performance (PPD) to cost ratio of higher end GPUs running in much less expensive systems. Are there particular projects you want to crunch where this architecture is beneficial?

Quote:I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents. Not because I'm an expert but because I have a keyboard.

post #19 of 347 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi,

And running multiple GPU's on the headless CLI based system (Ubuntu Server) also works now:

Test system 2:

# nvidia-smi -a |grep Gpu
Gpu : N/A
Gpu : 59 C
Gpu : 44 C

Happy days wink.gif
post #20 of 347 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Dr. Boincinstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHansenDK View Post

Hi,

And running multiple GPU's on the headless CLI based system (Ubuntu Server) also works now:

Test system 2:

# nvidia-smi -a |grep Gpu
Gpu : 59 C
Gpu : 44 C

Happy days wink.gif

awesome man! good job, keep us up dated will all the good work man! thumb.gif

My Boinc Project's Stats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in