Project "Headless Linux CLI Multiple GPU Boinc Server" - Ubuntu Server 12.04.4/14.04.1 64bit - Using GPU's from GeForce GT610/GT640/GTX750ti/+ to crunch data. - Page 35 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Project "Headless Linux CLI Multiple GPU Boinc Server" - Ubuntu Server 12.04.4/14.04.1 64bit - Using GPU's from GeForce GT610/GT640/GTX750ti/+ to crunch data.

post #341 of 347 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by navjack27 View Post

could i do something like this with my old rig that has no case or hard drive at the moment, with just a usb stick?

5775c and a 390x with 32gb ram. i'll eventually get windows on it once i get a ssd for it, but in the mean time for a lil Christmas project. i think a headless Linux box would be neat.

Sorry about the late response... Moved to a farm or what its called.... Getting speedy internet is a task here wink.gif Damn.....

Hi,

Yes of course... We usually just drills holes i a squared piece of plastic/pvc 5mm thick... Use a platform from a case to get you holes right. Then use cobber things for distance wink.gif

KR
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 347 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1954 View Post

It's been my experience that a USB stick is painfully slow and will affect system I/O speeds and cost you a lot of points on some projects....

I use SSD's on everything. So far, the Corsair SATA-1 Refurbs seem to work fine 9 out of 10 times, the Intel SATA-1 Refurbs seem to work with some systems and not others, the Kingston V200/V300 seem fine in all setups. The later version Corsairs also seem okay in many setups.

However, with prices dropping so fast, you can get a NEW 120G or 60G for dirt cheap. I haven't tried those KingDian (or whatever) drives yet, but am tempted... 60G SSD for $28? Pretty good!

biggrin.gif

Hi Tex,

SSD's are fast and cheap in energy, but!! I've experienced hardware resets... lost mbr's or what its called. This may just be because of a late night fast reboot. of course I did this myself, but I never had the problem with the optical drives.

What du you think about that??? wink.gif

KR
Dan
post #343 of 347 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc View Post

You can edit your first post, and put in all the finished scripts, todo's, etc.  Since the OP is more than one year old you will probably need to message a moderator if you don't see the edit button at the bottom of the OP.  After one year of no activity in a post, the post gets locked.

Hi TicToc,

Thanks... I'll try that... Or I just end the thread with the finished ToDo.. It's about that time I guess wink.gif

KR
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #344 of 347 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi,

To end this, I'll post the power differences between the to GPU's GT640 & GTX750ti (Both Low Profile Cards)

Asus GT640:

Volts AC: 220
Amps: 0.96
Watts: 214.5

24H power consumption: 5.2 kW/h

GTX750ti*:

Amps: 1.27
Watts: 281.8

24H power consumption: 6.6 kW/h

* 2x GTX750ti & 2x GTX750

Chrucnhing data using these cards, clearly shows the importance of choosing the right card! GT640 crunches around the half of GTX750ti.. This I'll have to look up, can't remember the exact numbers... But, it's pretty close to double using the GTX750... And looking at the power consumption, it's unreal...
I never thought this rig could run using a 300watts PSU! But look at it... 281.8 watts... It cut's the cost of the PSU down to the half

KR
Dan
post #345 of 347 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by DanHansenDK View Post
Hi,

To end this, I'll post the power differences between the to GPU's GT640 & GTX750ti (Both Low Profile Cards)
4x GPU's running at full load.

Asus GT640:

Amps: 0.96
Watts: 214.5

24H power consumption: 5.2 kW/h

GTX750ti*:

Amps: 1.27
Watts: 281.8

24H power consumption: 6.6 kW/h

* 2x GTX750ti & 2x GTX750

Chrucnhing data using these cards, clearly shows the importance of choosing the right card! GT640 crunches around the half of GTX750ti.. This I'll have to look up, can't remember the exact numbers... But, it's pretty close to double using the GTX750... And looking at the power consumption, it's unreal...
I never thought this rig could run using a 300watts PSU! But look at it... 281.8 watts... It cut's the cost of the PSU down to the half

KR
Dan

Well, talking to myself here... Anyway, a nice little thing has appeared (sorry about the danish description.) It's not that higher number of cores, but 100+ still makes a difference. Will it run on a 300watts PSU ??? Its right on the edge I guess
Notice the watts... 75watts, 768 CUDA cores !?!?!?!
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...orce-gtx-1050/

Generelt
Enhedstype Grafikkort - low profile
Bus Type PCI Express 3.0 x16
Grafik engine NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Kerne clock 1290 MHz
Boost Clock 1392 MHz
Maksimum opløsning 7680 x 4320
Maks. antal understøttede monitorer 3
Interfacer DVI-D (dobbelt link)
DisplayPort
HDMI
API-understøttet DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.5
Egenskaber MSI Solid Capacitor, Dual Fan Design, NVIDIA Adaptive Vertical Sync, Military Class 4 Components, NVIDIA G-Sync klar, NVIDIA GameWorks, Nvidia SHIELD ready, FinFET-teknologi, HDCP
Hukommelse
Størrelse 4 GB
Teknologi GDDR5 SDRAM
Effektiv clock hastighed 7.008 GHz
Busbredde 128-bit
Systemkrav
Påkrævet strømforsyning 300 W
Diverse
Strømforbrug ved drift 75 Watt
Med software MSI Afterburner
Overensstemmelsesstandarder MIL-STD-810G
Bredde 3.5 cm
Dybde 18.2 cm
Højde 6.9 cm
Vægt 290 g
post #346 of 347 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 08:32 PM
2+2=5

Thanks for keeping this thread going.

The 1050 will use a similar amount of power as the 750ti, and perform 40%+ better than the 750ti. I have a 1050ti without external power and it crunches great while sipping power.

BOINC||Join OCN BOINC Team||My BOINC Stats||
[email protected]||Join OCN [email protected] Team||My [email protected] Stats||
TickTockArch
(12 items)
TickTockCruncher
(18 items)
TickTock4
(12 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 2970WX
Motherboard
ASRock X399 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk EK
GPU
Radeon RX Vega 64
GPU
Radeon RX Vega 64
RAM
GSkill Ripjaws V
Hard Drive
Adata XPG 8200
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1000 G3
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO
Cooling
EK-FC Radeon Vega Acetal+Nickel
Operating System
Arch Linux
CPU
intel E5-2670 v2 ES
CPU
intel E5-2670 v2 ES
Motherboard
AsRock EP2C602-4L/D16
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
GPU
Sapphire R9 290
GPU
Sapphire R9 290
GPU
NVIDIA GTX 980 Classified Kingpin Edition
RAM
Samsung ECC 1866 MHz
Hard Drive
SanDisk Extreme PRO
Hard Drive
SanDisk SSD Plus
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal Clean x2
Cooling
EK-FC R9-290X x2
Operating System
Arch Linux
Monitor
Dell Ultrashrp U3415W
Keyboard
Max Keyboard Blackbird
Mouse
Logitech MX Master
Other
Seasonic X-760
CPU
intel i7-4790k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VI IMPACT
GPU
XFX R9 Fury X
RAM
Crucial Ballistix Tactical ulp
Hard Drive
Crucial M500
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1050
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Intel
Cooling
EK-FC R9 Fury X
Case
Thermaltake Core X5
Operating System
Arch Linux
Monitor
Headless
▲ hide details ▲

post #347 of 347 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Helloooo friends,

OK, I've invested in a wind turbine, a lot of hardware from over there (the states) a solar panel setup and a new card GTX1050ti 4Gb. I'm expanding the project a little. Work has been crazy and I've been totally occupied. I sorry friends.

OK, I'm building this sun and wind power setup. First a 4x 300 watts solar panel config and 1 2kW 48volt A/C 3 phased 40 Amps wind turbine with 2 battery banks. Battery bank 1 is 6x 100A pretty special deep cycle batteries and battery-bank 2 will be lithium-ion 18650 batteries harvested (mostly) from laptop batteries. We will start up with 24 volt banks and then I will go from there to a more efficient 48 volt setup. I've got myself another RACK for this 48 volt battery-bank, but this I will build last. I've bought a 3000watt APC PSU in Belgium, which I will use as a inverter and this will run only on the 48 volt battery bank li-ion. I just got the charge controller last week, from the states as well. a midnite classic 200 which apparently is the best on the market for wind turbines and DIY maniacs like us. It's a pretty nice peace of hardware, that's for sure.

I'll document it all. I'll do videos from start till the end. But I'll write inhere as always, first. This is where it all started for me

The first config will be a Grid-Tie setup, 24 volt battery-banks. A wind turbine needs a load at all times. And of course I've gotten myself som monster resisters (like those we use in elevators for braking) so that when then battery-bank is full, the load is being dump'ed. This dumpload is directed out into these resistors and the overproduction of electricity will be burned of as heat. YES, I know! And of course I've got a plan here. This dumpload will instead be used for running mining rigs, so that the electricity is being used right!

I'm currently running GTX 1050 ti 4Gb on a windows system, testing it for performance mining and temperature. I'm rebuilding "Test system - Beaufort" to run with 4x GTX 750 ti to run on Linux server as a headless rig, as usual.

Actually I'm not very satisfied with the performance of the new card Bitcoin-wise. It's several times faster than GTX 750, but wh are getting nowhere with the bitcoins that way. It's a dollar a day. And yes, free energy - so there's no expenses.

OK, if there's any of you that knows how to install and run e.g. Gminer, T-Rex miner, CCminer on Linux server CLI, I would be so happy for the help. I've used a lot of time figuring all this out and as you know I've succeeded in getting several GPU's running on Linux rigs headless, so the systems are ready for GPU mining.
I know about wallets, I've got one of cause. And one for testing. And I know about pool mining too. I've prepared a wallet for full node mining, and the linux rigs will be full node in the end. That's the goal.

The system I'm building here will begin as a Grid-Tie system. I will build a Off-Grid system too, to have several rigs running there, and then finally, the Grid-Tie'd system, will be rebuild into a Grid-Tie A/C coupled system.

I'm hoping for some help with the mining stuff on Linux.

Here's the status on GTX1050ti running 100% mining the T-Rex GPU Miner v.0.9.2 on CUDA 10

BTW. We will need CUDA 8 on Linux when mining on this card. Maybe there's a new LP card coming soon?

Are we going to use only 1 larger card in the future??? What do you say guys? I've bought some 90 degrees adapters for such a card to be installed on our test systems. But I like the Low Profile GPU's. It's more expensive, I know, but is it better or not? Building a system to compare with shall we?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gtx1050ti_mining-img01.png
Views:	2
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	263564  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in