Project News - Page 18 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Project News

post #171 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post
With [email protected] Pent over I went back to GPUGrid but their license expired so all tasks error out. The project is limited to Windows GPU work and CPU tasks atm.
I've been getting tasks and they've been completing for points over the last few days so I think you should be all set now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 281 (Unique: 135)
Quote: Originally Posted by Finrond View Post
I've been getting tasks and they've been completing for points over the last few days so I think you should be all set now.
Only in Windows. There is no Linux app atm.
http://www.gpugrid.net/apps.php

post #173 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:36 PM
2+2=5

GPUGrid is working on a new app. Similar to folding at home, the GPUGrid GPU app is built on OpenMM. If the new app (acemd3) is built on the latest OpenMM, then this should result in an uptick in performance. I don't know much about acemd, but I have tested the latest OpenMM fairly extensively, and along with the increased performance comes increased temps and power usage. https://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=4927

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

There is new Rakesearch app called 'RakeSearch for rank 10'. I have ran a couple and they completed fine. The optimizations are already included in the default app and [email protected] said the optmized app_info for the old app will need to be removed to run the new app.
https://rake.boincfast.ru/rakesearch...ead.php?id=176

The current Rakeseach app will end soon so get your hours in.

----------------------------------------------------------------

GPUGrid has sent out a new version in a couple of tasks.

http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=4935
Quote:
I am testing the new acemd3 app. The app is entirely new: faster and more general. The idea is to replace the old one asap. We'll also try to make it more maintainable (a long standing issue) using the boinc wrapper.

I've sent a handful of test WUs for now -- cuda 8.0, linux.

The goal is that it should work on properly configured machines, i.e. with relatively recent drivers, where the previous app was already working. So far we got one success, i.e. 20962989.

post #175 of 180 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

https://lhcathome.cern.ch/lhcathome/...?id=5051#39037
Quote:
Dear volunteers,

we are pleased to announce the release to production (SixTrack app) of new exes for the current pro version (v5.02.05). We have new exes for FreeBSD (avx/sse2), an exe for XP hosts (32bits), an aarch64 executable for Linux, and one for Android. Many thanks to James, Kyrre and Veronica for finding the time to produce them.

Distributing an exe compatible with XP hosts is not a way to encourage people to stay with unsupported OSs, but rather a trial to have a smooth transition to more recent OSs. In this way, people with XP hosts do not miss the possibility to contribute to the present wave of SixTrack tasks (expected to be quite long) while considering options for upgrading their hosts. At the same time, we are looking into preparing 32bits Linux exes. It should be noted that all Win exes are distributed without targeting specific kernel versions - hence, XP hosts may receive tasks with regular Windows exes immediately failing, but the BOINC server should quickly learn that the XP-compatible exe is the appropriate one.

We are also very happy to start involving freeBSD and Android users in our production chain. For the latter platform, the present exe won't run on Android versions >=8 - James is still looking into this. Since the android version filtering needs a fix on the scheduler side:
https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/issues/3172
we labelled the Android exe as beta. Hence, Sixtrack beta users with Android 8 and later should not request tasks for that host or untick the test applications flag in their [email protected] project preferences.

We are pursuing also the generation of MacOS exes, and we should test them soon on sixtracktest.

Thanks for your continuous support and help,
Alessio, for the SixTrack team

post #176 of 180 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yoyo has a new app called 'M Queens' and is Linux only. I am trying some out now.

post #177 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

NAVI 10 seems to be a bust for OCL compute out of the gate.

Quote:
The big issue at the moment is that while AMD’s drivers are in fairly good shape for gaming, the same cannot be said for compute. Most of our compute benchmarks either failed to have their OpenCL kernels compile, triggered a Windows Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR), or would just crash. As a result, only three of our regular benchmarks were executable here, with [email protected], parts of CompuBench, and Blender all getting whammied.

https://einsteinathome.org/content/all-things-navi-10

Quote:
So to sum up, what we have is overclocked Vega 64 crunching performance from a significantly cooler, quieter and less power hungry card which with further tweaks could be improved upon
I've been tempted to get a Vega 7 but those have been discontinued and I wanted to see how well this performed. I was hoping for a faster FX card in [email protected] and it seems so but there are invalids and other compute issues. For $400, 2x RX570s could be purchased with change for about 1mil [email protected] RAC.

post #178 of 180 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

I kept wanting to get a Vega 7 as well, that FP64 is so much better than anything I have. But $750 is out of my league, kept hoping it would show up used for less but with it being discontinued seems to be getting worse. What is the best bang for the buck for this? Used 7970 or OG Titans? Buying stuff so old and power hungry!

Quote:I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents. Not because I'm an expert but because I have a keyboard.

post #179 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

GPUGrid's Windows license has expired making the project basically dead. The Linux app expired months ago and project admins have supposedly working on a new app that didn't need the licenses along with Turing support. Supposedly someone got a task to complete by changing dates.

http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=4954

post #180 of 180 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

PrimeGrid app_config will soon require the plan_class line for LLR apps.
https://www.primegrid.com/forum_thre...ap=true#132286

Quote:
IMPORTANT:

PrimeGrid will be switching to a preferences-based method for setting up multi-threading in the near future.
If you are using app_config.xml (probably to set up multi-threading) it's going to stop working when the multi-threading system goes live. If you want your app_config.xml to continue working, you should make modifications now that will allow it to work both before and after the change.

Only LLR projects are affected.

Every <app_version> block for an LLR project should be duplicated, with the duplicate having a <plan_class>mt<plan_class> line added to it. For example, this is the before and after for ESP, set up for 4 threads:

<app>
<name>llrESP</name>
<fraction_done_exact>1</fraction_done_exact>
<report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
</app>

<app_version>
<app_name>llrESP</app_name>
<cmdline>-t 4</cmdline>
<avg_ncpus>4</avg_ncpus>
</app_version>

<app_version>
<app_name>llrESP</app_name>
<plan_class>mt</plan_class>
<cmdline>-t 4</cmdline>
<avg_ncpus>4</avg_ncpus>
</app_version>

You can do this today, and the original app_version block will continue to work. Once we install the new multi-tasking, that app_version block will be ignored and the second app_version block for the mt plan class will take over. At that point, most people can erase app_config.xml, or at least the parts for LLR projects, and start using the multi-threading controls on the website.

I don't have an exact time yet for this change, but it won't happen in August. I'm hoping for early September.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in