XANSONS for COD: Project Resume Next Week - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

XANSONS for COD: Project Resume Next Week

post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM
2+2=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egilman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc View Post

I have this running on my 480 in Linux, and the initial results look very good.  The sample size is small, but here are a couple of tasks for comparison vs my wingmen:

Edit Just noticed that computer 788 is Egilman and one of his 7990s. biggrin.gif  

Just remember that 7990 is running 4x..... (I know it's an excuse, but then again I have the fastest Tahitis on the project, probably cause I have the only independent Tahitis on the project)

Still this is the first project I've seen a 480 faster than a tahiti of mine....... Opps wait a sec........ that is in Linus isn't it? biggrin.gif

Well, that changes everything, try and get that time in windows..... {chuckle}

Decidedly an Nvidea/Linux favorable project. probably something I won't be running run long term..... Currently I've got 8 on it and it pencils out to 1.3 million a day.

Besides I have a strong dislike for projects that update once a day, makes it difficult to track. (and very boring)

Just for clarification when you say 4x is that concurrently per GPU (8 tasks per video card, 16 tasks for the machine) or do you mean 4 tasks total for the machine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 18)
Quote:

Just for clarification when you say 4x is that concurrently per GPU (8 tasks per video card, 16 tasks for the machine) or do you mean 4 tasks total for the machine?

16 for the machine, 4 per GPU......

My app_config....
Code:
<app_config>
  <app>
    <name>xansons_gpu</name>
      <gpu_versions>
      <gpu_usage>0.25</gpu_usage>
      <cpu_usage>0.45</cpu_usage>
     </gpu_versions>
  </app>
</app_config>

Runs very smooth and cool, and I was giving it 8 cores in process lasso. At Collatz settings, (or a bit below)

One of the problems with tracking the WU's is that they are all different lengths ranging from 9 seconds to 22 minutes. (CPU's turned off in preferences) So we have to resort to wingman searches to find comparables.

Not an easy task.....

So, for those specific WU, if I was running just those WU I would be getting 4 per GPU in 10:27 or 2:37 per WU, for the whole machine the output would be 39-40 seconds per if it was running just that specific type of WU. But it gives out all the different WU sizes all at the same time so it is very difficult to track comparisons like this...

post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 PM
2+2=5

I'll bump my 480 up to 4x and then we can at least compare our two wildly different setups. biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I'll bump my 480 up to 4x and then we can at least compare our two wildly different setups. biggrin.gif

Would be interesting to see how it does at the higher performance settings, just remember that your in Linux with that card and it seems to run 45-50% faster in linux than windows...

And I cannot run a 7990 in linux...... (no functional drivers)

post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:24 PM
2+2=5

The Linux-Windows comparison is the most interesting thing to me. No other GPU project has been substantially better in Linux. For the most part an AMD GPU in Linux has been equal to or worse than running in Windows.

For NVIDIA that is generally not the case. Prior to the development of the new AMD Linux driver stack, AMD performance in Linux for most tasks was generally poor compared to NVIDIA.

post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Well, if the initial comparison holds and your 480 can beat my Tahitis running in linux, then I think they may have fixed the problem I think.....

The thing that irks me is these projects, if optimised correctly, run equally well on both types of hardware, Collatz proved that for good with it's nVideaOCL app.

Just get the project devs to implement it.....

(good luck with that)

post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:50 PM
2+2=5

Looking through my results, I'm not sure if running 4x is more efficient than 1x.  With variable run-times I would really need a much bigger sample in order to get some relevent averages.  

I did find one shared task with a known setup.

@Egilman at least for this one task, a 480 in Linux isn't quite as fast as it could be.  Generally speaking, for most non-DP tasks a 480 should be at least 50% faster than a 7970/280x. 

The CPU time is interesting though.  I see virtually zero CPU overhead when running 4x tasks in Linux.  The biggest spike in CPU usage, that I have tracked, is 3% usage while running 4 XANSONS tasks.  

post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

When I was running it on both Blackhawk 1 & 2 I was seeing something very similar Blackhawk-1 the DP (E5 2670 v3's) was using almost no CPU, but Blackhawk-2 an FX 8350 uses all 85% I allow it (bouncing between 79-95%) and was running WU's a bit slower. Of course I"m cramming 16 apps into 6 cores there so that is a part of it where the DP was being given 8 cores and only using 4.

I got it to the point where it ran pretty stable and was happy to just figure out it's basics on running in on my hardware.....

I may at one point delve into it more deeply and see what accurate tweaking does, but right now the project is in early beta status just coming out of alpha test stage, so I'm expecting things might change a bit as experience is gained running it.....

And besides I really want to get some time on Milkyway at least six months or so...... that's kinda where my heart is at...

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 07:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Vlad, (project admin) just mentioned on the site about a new app being released in a few hours. One that reduces the memory requirements by half. instead of needing 1.2 to 1.5 gig of memory the new app will use 6-800K.

you will be able to go back to running 4x without issue.....

The project is still early beta, he can't fix it if we don't tell him what we need... And god knows how many project admins could care less.

Linkage....

post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 07:48 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 100 (Unique: 66)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in