XANSONS for COD: Project Resume Next Week - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

XANSONS for COD: Project Resume Next Week

post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

I posted this in the recognition thread but these MT tasks set to 2 threads are running with 4 threads on my Linux system, makes managing things interesting.

Quote:I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents. Not because I'm an expert but because I have a keyboard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfromcolo View Post

I posted this in the recognition thread but these MT tasks set to 2 threads are running with 4 threads on my Linux system, makes managing things interesting.

That's the CPU app, I'm only running the AMD OCL GPU app... (now at version 1.04)

post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 272 (Unique: 129)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 06:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

I don't think this is ever going to be a large project, according to Vlad, the project admin, the way it is structured requires some WU's to be very small. and he is trying to dynamically keep the small WU's on the CPU side but that isn't always possible so some will get allocated to GPUs. Last night and this morning for about an hour and a half I watched the cache's dwindle to barely keeping my GPU's running. Vlad's response to this was the validator is becoming backlogged and he needed to slow down WU generation so the validator could catch up. (those tiny WU's on the GPU issue again)

His last recommendation to me was to run another project alongside his, (ie. take some GPU's off his project) to ease the server load I imagine. The current project database has 13 million wu's which he told me will be completed in two months at current rates. (and it really hasn't propagated to the mainstream boinc user yet. imagine what would happen if he had Collatz's user base?)

So I don't know how long this project will last. It scales out beautifully, the problem, as it seems to me, is the ability to do the work by the clients far exceeds the available work.......

Probably underestimated the ability of the Boinc user base to efficiently process the projects work...... the server is being swamped with completed tasks.

So this is where it currently stands, the GPU side running the 1.05 app is fast and very stable. and anymore users would outstrip the servers ability to stay ahead of the clients. (at least on the GPU side)

Great little project from a GPU aspect, but I'm afraid it will always be a little project...

post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 272 (Unique: 129)
Easily solved if he bundles all 18 tasks into one. [email protected] checks CPU type for high or low freq and you get tasks based on that. One of many CPUs get all 18 parts and a GPU gets all of it at once. My 970 had quite a few tasks complete that took only 2-5 seconds. That is at 3x.

Opening the task list takes awhile now as the old tasks are not being purged from the db.

Once discovered, GPU projects don't stay small. There are only several available and even smaller that allow all 3 types. That server is going to end up getting DDoS'd by it's own work.

post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

I think he underestimated the processing power of the boinc user base, if even a dozen or so of the real heavy hitters jumped on this project the COD database would be completed in short order.

But then his server couldn't handle the load......

I asked the question if there is any ongoing project in the future beyond the COD database, but haven't got an answer yet.....

His posting makes it sound like there is a finite end to the project. (at current processing rate in two months)

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Well, I'm back on Milkyway now....

Will probably put the unused CPU's on TN-Grid or Enigma....

post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 100 (Unique: 66)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egilman View Post

I think he underestimated the processing power of the boinc user base, if even a dozen or so of the real heavy hitters jumped on this project the COD database would be completed in short order.

But then his server couldn't handle the load......

I asked the question if there is any ongoing project in the future beyond the COD database, but haven't got an answer yet.....

His posting makes it sound like there is a finite end to the project. (at current processing rate in two months)

I got a crap load of GPU tasks taking anywhere for seconds to a couple minutes... no long ones yet I can see... still have about 50 cued up...

biggrin.gif

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 12:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1954 View Post

I got a crap load of GPU tasks taking anywhere for seconds to a couple minutes... no long ones yet I can see... still have about 50 cued up...

biggrin.gif

That is cause the WU's run both ways CPU or GPU and he has his wu issuer giving out WU based upon availability if there are no long tasks for GPU it will give out progressively shorter and shorter ones. (meant for the CPU's)

Me, I was getting WU's ranging from a few seconds to 20+ minutes.

Not that my equipment couldn't handle it, it is clear his servers cannot. He refuses to unleash the project in a clear GPU to CPU split mode. (cause the GPU work will run out fairly quickly leaving it as a CPU project)

And clearly stated that he will not bundle the tiny WU's for GPU consumption despite many suggestions for such to make his WU allocation system easier for the GPU crunchers....

His final suggestion was to run another GPU project along side his which I interpreted to mean we are applying too many GPU resources to his project. as his project was going to finish in two months at the current rate of production.

I never got an answer on if there will be another project after the COD database is completed.

So I wished him well, complemented him on a nice project roll out, and moved my GPU's elsewhere. I didn't want to cause him too much angst in finishing his project well before he originally estimated.

I think many others got the same hint given the projects serious decrease in daily production.

It's a small project, may last a few months, and any serious application of GPU power will complete it way before the admin intended or has the hardware to take advantage of.

That's why I left it.

post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 100 (Unique: 66)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in