Zen segmentation fault and BOINC projects - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Zen segmentation fault and BOINC projects

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
I'm just waiting for the Ryzen refresh. I don't want to be without my rig waiting for the replacement...I'll just deal with the 3 or 4 attempts it takes to successfully compile Chromium and Mesa. I don't think its affected me yet crunching.
I don't have any bullet proof evidence it affected me either. But this rig has random crashes every 4 or 5 days running mining on a couple RX 4XX cards while using the cores to run BOINC projects. It happens with both Linux and W10, and after multiple re-installs and different kernels. The logged messages are impossibly vague, but its not a power fault. I got it up and running this afternoon, we will see how things go. I haven't tried the kill Ryzen script yet but as said above if it's post week 25 it should be good from everything I have read.

As soon as I knew I could get a replacement I knew I would, finally bit the bullet. I have plenty of computers, the inconvenience really consisted of losing a few bucks mining and playing Prey on a 960 for a few days.

Quote:I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents. Not because I'm an expert but because I have a keyboard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 05:05 PM
2+2=5

I'm just waiting for the Ryzen refresh. I don't want to be without my rig waiting for the replacement...I'll just deal with the 3 or 4 attempts it takes to successfully compile Chromium and Mesa. I don't think its affected me yet crunching.
I'm doing the same thing. The only thing that has segfaulted for me is the kill-ryzen script. I actually haven't had any issues compiling anything, but I don't compile very many big projects outside of the kernel.

Last edited by tictoc; 02-15-2018 at 05:11 PM.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 05:58 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 838 (Unique: 558)
It has affected my [email protected] AVX WUs.

I never run [email protected] on Ryzen. It errors immediately (not BSOD, just the BOINC task reports SEGV) despite days of Skynet POGs working 100% fine as well as AVX prime95 , memtest, and AIDA64.

The moment we get Ryzen refresh on a reasonable price I'm probably going to rip it out for a R7 2xxx and sell off the chip I get from RMA. I might get rid of the Gigabyte X370 board as well because while memory support has been superb even with the BIOs it came with , the VRM heats up close to 90°C with a moderate overclock in AVX Prime95. It isn't the board design so much as the VRM heatsinks that have little surface area and poor fin area.

A Ryzen refresh with Precision Boost 2 and minimization of the Infinity Fabric limitations would be a insta-buy for me since Coffee Lake is slated to be Intel's mainstream for the rest of 2018 it seems.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 02-15-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 06:24 PM
2+2=5

Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
It has affected my [email protected] AVX WUs.

I never run [email protected] on Ryzen. It errors immediately (not BSOD, just the BOINC task reports SEGV) despite days of Skynet POGs working 100% fine as well as AVX prime95 , memtest, and AIDA64.

The moment we get Ryzen refresh on a reasonable price I'm probably going to rip it out for a R7 2xxx and sell off the chip I get from RMA. I might get rid of the Gigabyte X370 board as well because while memory support has been superb even with the BIOs it came with , the VRM heats up close to 90°C with a moderate overclock in AVX Prime95. It isn't the board design so much as the VRM heatsinks that have little surface area and poor fin area.

A Ryzen refresh with Precision Boost 2 and minimization of the Infinity Fabric limitations would be a insta-buy for me since Coffee Lake is slated to be Intel's mainstream for the rest of 2018 it seems.
Were your errors in Asteroids only when running a pre-4.10 kernel in a VM? Currently my 1700 is running in Windows, and I just loaded up some Asteroids AVX tasks. Fifteen minutes in and so far no issues. I can boot into a Linux distro after these tasks finish up and test it out if that would be helpful.

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 276 (Unique: 130)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mysticial View Post
I recently was in a meeting with AMD reps and this was one of the topics I asked about. I got the answer I wanted and I'm really tempted to answer here.

But unfortunately, I don't know what is under NDA and what isn't. I'm pulling my hair out over this because I'm sure everybody wants to know, but I also don't want to face the consequences if I leak something either intentionally or unintentionally.

So at this time, I can neither confirm no deny any of the rumors floating around about this. Ugh...
What kind of meeting was this? Conference call, a CES like event?

I've been waiting for the refresh as well to replace my desktop 3770k with a Zen+ or 2 whatever it is.

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 08:04 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 838 (Unique: 558)
Quote: Originally Posted by tictoc View Post
Were your errors in Asteroids only when running a pre-4.10 kernel in a VM? Currently my 1700 is running in Windows, and I just loaded up some Asteroids AVX tasks. Fifteen minutes in and so far no issues. I can boot into a Linux distro after these tasks finish up and test it out if that would be helpful.
I should retest it but it seems Asteroids AVX WUs are not being distributed much.

My Debian lxde VM was on 4.11 I believe from backports, Fedora 26 (lxde Spin) which is supposed to be Linux 4.11.8 , and Manjaro was whatever the newest rolling one was with 17.0.2

I purchased the Ryzen chip post AGESA 1.0.0.6 , to give an idea of the timeframe.

One of my VMs still has stale WCG units due to not being used for a while (likely from WCG birthday challenge).

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 02-15-2018 at 08:31 PM.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Hardware Enthusiast

Rep: 69 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post
What kind of meeting was this? Conference call, a CES like event?

I've been waiting for the refresh as well to replace my desktop 3770k with a Zen+ or 2 whatever it is.
Sorry I didn't see this until now.

It was half informational and half marketing. We had a couple of AMD reps come to our office to tell us about their shiny toys - both present and future. And they let us ask them questions about their product lines.

Last edited by Mysticial; 03-01-2018 at 09:49 AM.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 09:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 276 (Unique: 130)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mysticial View Post
Sorry I didn't see this until now.

It was half informational and half marketing. We had a couple of AMD reps come to our office to tell us about their shiny toys - both present and future. And they let us ask them questions about their product lines.
Ok, thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware AMD did that sort of thing but I guess why not. It makes sense depending on the customer. Our vendors do the same with product updates, roadmaps, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in