Projects of the Month for November 2017 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Projects of the Month for November 2017

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 276 (Unique: 130)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc View Post

I actually just allowed new tasks, and then I had to leave for work. Something definitely is not right with my 480. When I was doing the Linux/Windows comparison my runtimes in Moo! were around 700 seconds, and now it looks like they are running about 5x slower. Thanks for the heads up and I'll have to see what's up when I get home tonight.

About what clocks did it take for 700 seconds? I've never really pushed the 580 to see how high it could go. I fired up [email protected] for a bit and got some invalids at 1450 but 1430 seemed ok.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
2+2=5

That was at stock clocks on my 480, which are 1306/1750.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 04:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc View Post

That was at stock clocks on my 480, which are 1306/1750.

Moo does not like overclocks, Period.

I seem to be able to get my 7990's stable at 1100/800 (doesn't need a lot of memory clock so turn it down to save heat) 1100 is a 10% overclock for a tahiti and the voltage is at 1.150

That's just off the top of my head at the moment I haven't consulted my config notebook yet.....

PS: Blackhawk 4 doesn't seem to like it at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 05:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

If anyone was running NON-BETA FAAH2 there was a bad app version sent out.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,40418_offset,0#553614
Quote:
This was a mistake on my end. If you have version 7.14 or 7.15 running on your machine, please abort those workunits. They will not validate on the backend. 7.18 is the current version and should be on all new workunits being sent out.

I'm sorry about the invalids.

Thanks,
-Uplinger

I was excited that I actually got some FAAH2 tasks so I checked the forums and I see that 6 out of 9 were the bad version. frown.gif

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
2+2=5

Those extermely long running Moo! tasks that I was crunching all day, were actually running on my 1050ti. :headscrat

That GPU runs [email protected] 24/7, and my ppd for today was way down.  I monitored usage with htop and nvidia-smi, and the Moo! opencl_ati_101 tasks were definitely running on my 1050ti.  I have Moo! excluded from my 1050ti in my cc_config, and even if it wasn't,  I wonder how it is even possible that the tasks were running on that GPU.  Needless to say, running two concurrent GPGPU tasks on a little 1050ti is not very efficient, but the tasks did finish and validate.

I am going to detach from Moo!, and then re-attach to see if that clears up whatever voodoo was going on.

*Edit*  In addition to having the exclude_gpu flag for NVIDIA in my cc_config, my preferences on Moo! are set to only use my AMD card.  I was only getting ati tasks, but somehow BOINC was assigning the tasks to my NVIDIA GPU.  This is the only project that I have seen this happen on.   My 480 was happily crunching Prime and Einstein for the last few weeks without a hitch.

*Edit 2* And the saga continues. 

• Reset project, same result, ati tasks crunching on my 1050ti. 
  • Noticed that Moo! was requesting CPU, NVIDIA, and AMD tasks, so I checked my Moo! preferences.  Only ATI GPU was selected. 
  • BOINC Manager continued to request CPU, AMD, and NVIDIA tasks, so I added separate preferences for "Home".  Updated Moo!, and now it was only requesting AMD tasks.  Getting closer to something that works.
  • Fire up BOINC -> Allow New Tasks, same result ati tasks crunching on 1050ti
  • Detach Moo! -> shut down BOINC, -> check client_state and coproc_info, everyhting looks good
  • Start BOINC -> add Moo! -> select "Home" for location -> update Moo! ->  and away we go....  Crunching ati tasks on my 1050ti

I don't even have the NVIDIA executable in my Moo! project folder, and I am out of ideas.  Anyone else have a suggestion?

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 01:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 18)
Have you actually tried switching it around and only allowing it NvideaOCL files?
then switch back if it runs ok.
see what that does
Turn off the ATI GPU and turn on the Nvidea GPU?
Also never never run CPU and GPU of any flavor together....
One or the other CPU OR GPU...... (GPU is better)

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
2+2=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egilman View Post

Have you actually tried switching it around and only allowing it NvideaOCL files?
then switch back if it runs ok.
see what that does
Turn off the ATI GPU and turn on the Nvidea GPU?
Also never never run CPU and GPU of any flavor together....
One or the other CPU OR GPU...... (GPU is better)

I did try switching it around to only get NVIDIA tasks, and that worked correcetly.  Requested only NVIDIA tasks -> downloaded NVIDIA task - task ran on 1050ti.

I haven't had a chance to physically remove the 1050ti from the machine.  Back crunching Einstein for now, but I am going to mess with it some more tonight.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
2+2=5

Mini update on my strange issue.

My primary machine has a very similar setup to the machine with the 480 and 1050ti.  The 480 rig is actually the setup I use to test foolish things before trying them on my main rig.  They are both running Arch with the same kernel and packages, and they are both using an NVIDIA GPU for the primary GPU, that drives my monitors, and an AMD GPU as a secondary GPU soley used for compute.

Now that Moo! is back online, I added it to my primary machine and it correctly downloaded and assigned work to my two 290s.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Moo can't run separate tasks on each GPU? I have a 1070 and 970 in one computer. BOINCTasks says there is one running on each, but they both take the same time to finish, about 29-30min. Per task. I would expect one to run faster than the other like every other project. I have an app_config set to ngpus = 1 to try and get 2 tasks running, one per card, but it seems like 2 are running on both cards at the same time. Pretty slowly too. The 580 does the tasks in about 10-11min while a 1070 and 970 does two in 30min.

I had Moo set as my backup project for these GPUs while SETI went does each Tuesday. The same cards were running at about 830s together on one task. Then I tried 1 per card and it went up to about 1300-1400s, so a gain. Now over 1800s today. I did update the driver this week. frown.gif

https://moowrap.net/results.php?hostid=935682&offset=0&show_names=1&state=4&appid=

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
2+2=5

Moo! seems to have some odd behavior. I believe my 290s are running separate tasks, but I'll have to pause one of them to be sure.

*Edit2* Runtimes are identical with only one of the 290s crunching, so they are runnning separate tasks.

I just pulled my 1050ti to test the 480 on it's own, and it looks to be running fine. Crunching the first task now and I'll update with the runtime once it finishes up.

*Edit* Runtime was 800 seconds, which is about 18 seconds slower than when I tested them at the beginning of the year.

@BeerCan Is that a Vega 64 or 56 you're running? It is looks to be screaming through tasks faster than anything else I saw on the Moo! site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in