Projects of the Month for December 2017 - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Projects of the Month for December 2017

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
2+2=5

I added a pair of 290s to Einstein last night. The 290s are about 100 seconds faster than my 480. Running two tasks concurrently the 290s average about 860 seconds per task. My 480 averages about 960 seconds per task. No OC on the 290s, and both systems are running the same OS and drivers. thinking.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 11:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 283 (Unique: 135)
My 580 is like 11-12min I think? But that's in Win7 where AMD cards go crazy slow with more than a task at a time. Looks idle quite a bit due to the task inefficiency. I need to find that thread that goes through the issue. GPU performance in [email protected] should really be measured up to 90%, after that CPU calculations are done which can skew run times.

EG's 7990s were pretty damn fast running [email protected] so I would expect 290s to be pretty quick as well.

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
2+2=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post

My 580 is like 11-12min I think? But that's in Win7 where AMD cards go crazy slow with more than a task at a time. Looks idle quite a bit due to the task inefficiency. I need to find that thread that goes through the issue. GPU performance in [email protected] should really be measured up to 90%, after that CPU calculations are done which can skew run times.

EG's 7990s were pretty damn fast running [email protected] so I would expect 290s to be pretty quick as well.

Is 11-12 minutes just running one task at a time?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 283 (Unique: 135)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc View Post

Is 11-12 minutes just running one task at a time?

Yes, a single task.

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
2+2=5

The errors and lockups that I was having on Einstein on my 1070s and 290s were actually due to unstable memory. 

I was running my 1333 sticks at 1866, and apparently running that speed was not quite stable.  I caught the errors on SRBase, so I dropped the speed, and now my 290s have been crunching Einstein without issue for the last day and a half.:D

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 09:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 18)
Code:
<app_config> 
    <app> 
        <name>hsgamma_FGRPB1G</name> 
            <gpu_versions> 
                <gpu_usage>0.33</gpu_usage>
                <cpu_usage>0.2</cpu_usage> 
            </gpu_versions> 
    </app> 
</app_config> 

this is the app_config I was running mine on.

yes 3x, start out at stock clocks as long as they are stable.....
Then adjust upwards as long as they remain stable..........
And from what I remember, doesn't need a lot of memory....

This put my machines in the top ten on the project in the dailies.

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
2+2=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc View Post

The errors and lockups that I was having on Einstein on my 1070s and 290s were actually due to unstable memory. 

I was running my 1333 sticks at 1866, and apparently running that speed was not quite stable.  I caught the errors on SRBase, so I dropped the speed, and now my 290s have been crunching Einstein without issue for the last day and a half.:D

Quoting myself. :D

Evidently that was not the issue.  Not sure what it is, and I don't have time to mess with it right now, but still seeing odd lock-ups and driver crashes when I run Einstein.  I'm going to put a 480 back on Einstein, and the 290s are going back to MilkyWay for now.

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
2+2=5

I'm currently clearing out my LHC queue.  The constant traffic back and forth to the LHC servers murders my lowly DSL connection.  I will probably keep one rig crunching one or two tasks, but running 10+ tasks at a time, is not something that I can keep doing without throtlling the heck out of the traffic to the LHC servers. 

If I am going to keep running LHC, I will probably need to set up a local cache server to minimize all of the http overhead that LHC has.

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 10:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 14)
@tictoc I switched to sixtrack when atlas was having its uploading issues. It's much smoother on the network, as well as the hard drives.

That's the thing with LHC...it's one of the most important distributed computing projects out there (imo)...but it also demands the most ram, bandwidth and patience from its users. rolleyes.gif

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
2+2=5

I' m running 15 sixtrack tasks now.  I agree completely on the merits of the project. :)

The ATLAS tasks were running without too many issues, but when the ATLAS server went offline I started running the Theory and LHCb tasks.  I might go back to running just ATLAS and sixtrack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in