Distributed Hardware Evolution Project - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Distributed Hardware Evolution Project

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about

Distributed Hardware Evolution Project

Brand new BOINC project.
http://dhep.ga/boinc/

Quote:
DHEP allows you to host an island running a Genetic Algorithm in an island based coevolutionary setting synthesising future super-reliable electronics such as those used in autonomous vehicles, power stations, medical equipment, aerospace. These are of increasingly paramount importance as more and more human lives rely on well functioning hardware.
Observation of population dynamics will also help us understand Evolution, not only to harness it to reach 'better than human' designs, but also to learn how migration rates, genetic diversity and the inner mechanisms of genetic recombination have concerted to reach the biodiversity and wonder of living organisms today.
It opens a Java Window for each task outside of BOINC. People mention lots of lag. ETAs are really long so BOINC goes into oh crap mode and interrupts other tasks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about mmonnin has a spectacular aura about

I posted in the wrong forum but hopefully it will be moved soon.

Some more info from the admin

Quote:
Hello just to clarify a few issues. We'll get it all working first and then look at any memory and other optimisations.

As to the GUI you can close it. Once we've got the basics working I'll add an option and if the general consensus is to have it off, to make that the default. However that applet will only consume resources when repainted (it is designed not to repaint by itself, only when you resize it or reshow it, etc..).

As to "work being done". Yes all of your connections are generating useful work. Basically if your client is showing up here http://www.dhep.ga/statstopology.php then it's connected OK. NOTE: at the moment all Windows clients are showing up as WinBoinc as we are yet to make our custom build of the wrapper (eventually will aim to add these enhancements to the main BOINC branch).

A quick brief of how this project will be working with BOINC:
  • o A GA is an indefinite process so tasks will be set to have long lengths. A GA will work best with stable islands however feel free to pop in and out if necessary. Work is submitted to the server every 15 minutes.
    o Credit will be assigned via the trickle system.
    o Task files sent out are dummys - the actual work is downloaded from our servers - and as progress is submitted to our servers every 15 minutes - there is no output to validate. If your client has run the GA and sent progress updates that is already enough.

For now you can have an idea of your client's throughput here: http://www.dhep.ga/statsdailyrankings.php and http://www.dhep.ga/statsrankings.php .

We'll first focus on credit assignment, then on tidying up the input/output of workunits, and then some Windows customisations and performance.

As to memory/performance, we've had 144 VMs running on two (large) hosts continuously for 3 weeks now with no issues. But we'll address these on a case by case basis (I suspect mostly Windows) when the time comes.

Basically infinite run times. A task just runs and runs but gets work from servers in the background every 15min. Trickle messages like CPDN will be used for credit.
No BOINC credit yet.
Java applet can be closed.
Windows users don't show up with correct username on their stats site.

I'll be getting 100 hours and stopping until there is some credit.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:29 AM
Badge Chaser
skivelitis Level 1

Credit now being granted under the correct user and team names at the rate of 20/hr/core regardless of processor speed it seems. Looks like a good candidate for a few of my ancient hosts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Welcome to OCN. I saw your stats show up recently.

I still don't really like of the admins implementation of the project with BOINC.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:15 AM
Badge Chaser
skivelitis Level 1

Thanks for the welcome! Only a strong sense of loyalty to my former team prevented me from pulling the trigger after OCN's strong showing in the 8th BOINC Pentathlon. Looking forward already to the 10th.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 12:02 PM
Undervolter in Training
McPaste Level 1

Sounds like we'd be contributing to the evolution of our future digital overlords.

CPU
Intel Core i7-5960X
Motherboard
MSI X99S XPower AC
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming 8G
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming 8G
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32GB (8x4GB) DDR4 2800 MHz
Hard Drive
Intel 730 SSD
Hard Drive
Corsair Force Series GT 120
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache
Hard Drive
Wester Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 PRO M.2
Optical Drive
LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA 12X
Power Supply
Rosewill LIGHTNING-1300 1300W, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified,
Cooling
XSPC RayStorm Water Loop
Case
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Monitor
ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR 27" 2560x1440
Keyboard
Rosewill Illuminated Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switch
Mouse
Roccat Sense Chrome Blue 2MM
Mouse
Cougar 700M
Audio
Corsair Gaming Audio Series 2.1 PC Speaker System
Other
Belkin n52te Gamepad
Other
Saitek X52 Joystick
Other
Steam Controller
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:29 AM
New to Overclock.net
C4pt41n M0 R0n Level 1

Just installed this on an Athlon7750 system I had laying around, must say the lag spikes in mouse movement are almost comical.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Badge Chaser
skivelitis Level 1

I have only seen this behavior on my single core Win7 laptop. All other machines seem fine.

Quick word of caution: When moving on to another project, be sure to have tasks "ready to start" or "waiting to run". I suspended dhep with the intention of aborting a running task while all other projects suspended and the screen lag made the machine unusable and required a hard reboot. Hadn't seen lag like that since I set BOINC to run in real time mode in ProcessLasso years ago. YMMV.

Last edited by skivelitis; 07-01-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah I only run a single task on a BOINC only machine. I tried it on my desktop and couldn't do anything. I had to alt tab to get any kind of mouse movement but then could only get 1 click in some app screens to view them but unable to do anything after that.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:05 AM
New to Overclock.net
C4pt41n M0 R0n Level 1

My mouse will move fine for a bit, then drop to 1-2 fps, hopping around the screen. AMD dual core with 4GB of RAM running Windows10 64bit. Upped the pagefile to 6-12GB just for the heck of it, I had wanted to try the Lattice Project on a similar system with an enlarged pagefile, but that went belly up before I got it done. Anyway this seems like it might be an interesting project, long work units that don't necessarily need to check in very often.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in