[Ubuntu] Complete Folding @ Home Installation Guide - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Ubuntu] Complete Folding @ Home Installation Guide

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
I Can Change This???

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Introduction

In this guide, I'm going to give you a complete run down on how to set up Folding @ Home under Ubuntu. The guide will cover Ubuntu installation, and [email protected] client set up. The goal of the guide is to get your CPU folding. Please be aware that GPU folding is NOT supported in a virtual machine. I will be using Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64 bit. You do have the option of choosing 13.04. Ubuntu guarantees only 9 months of support, but 13.04 is better optimized meaning more PPD. The installation process for 13.04 is identical to 12.04.3.  Download 12.04.3 or 13.04 here if you don't have it already. Make sure to select the 64 bit edition! I will be installing Ubuntu in a virtual environment. You can dual-boot Ubuntu with another operating system like Windows, but for the sake of complexity I recommend a virtual machine.

You can choose whichever virtual machine software you like. I use VMWare Player 6.x in this tutorial (as of this tutorial, 6.0). Download it here.

If you didn't already know,folding under Ubuntu is considerably better than folding under Windows. Even in a virtual machine you'll get better results. If you're looking to maximize PPD/results, fold under Ubuntu.

GPU folding is supported in Ubuntu (native, not a virtual machine), but only on Nvidia GPUs with Core 17 projects. As I said, CPU folding performance is better under Ubuntu. Unfortunately, using your graphics card is not possible. You can simply run [email protected] on Windows and Ubuntu, where Windows does GPU and Ubuntu CPU. Do note that there is some overhead, meaning some your CPU will be devoted to your GPU. If your GPU is low-end, consider doing CPU only.

Installation

Creating a New Virtual Machine

Once you have the Ubuntu iso, open up player and create a new virtual machine.

1. Click "I will install the operating system later" (next),
  2. Linux Ubuntu-64 bit (next),
  3. Name it whatever you like (next),
  4. Default disc space is fine (next),
  5. Finish.

​​If you have a low amount of RAM, feel free to lower the amount the virtual machine uses (Edit virtual machine settings, adjust the slider, OK).

Ubuntu Installation

Now fire up your virtual machine. Click Player>Removable Devices>CD/DVD>Settings>Use ISO Image File>Select ISO>OK. You may need to restart/reset the VM to get it to boot.

Click Install Ubuntu

Download Updates While Installing then Continue

Erase Disk and click Continue

Install Now

Fill out the remaining forms (location, keyboard, username, and so forth). Once you have to restart the VM, it will advise to "remove media from drives". Go back to CD/DVD settings and switch over to a physical drive (Player>Removable Devices>CD/DVD>Settings>Use Physical Drive), assuming nothing is currently present in your physical CD/DVD drive (the goal here is to not restart the setup and to boot from the virtual hard drive). After the restart, you are presented with the desktop.

Post-Installation

Shortly after you get to the desktop, the update manager will prompt you. Update whatever files it has for you (this is similar to Windows Updates). You'll need to restart after the updates. Once finished, download these two files within the virtual machine:Control and ClientInstall Client first then Control. During client installation, you'll have to fill out a form. To get a username and passkey go here. To fold for Overclocknet, enter in 37726. If you wish to fold anonymously, leave all these fields as they are. Adjust the last field for how much you wish your computer to fold. Take note of the "should folding at home be started automatically at startup" check box. If you uncheck that, you'll have to run FAHClient from terminal every time you reboot.

After Control is installed, go to Dash Home>Search for Terminal and Open it>Type FAHControl and hit Enter (it is case-sensitive). Now your graphical interface for monitoring and controlling [email protected] will open. Ubuntu has an application called "System Monitor". You can use that to see how your VM performance is (you could just as well use Task Manager in Windows). If you click Configuration and under the Advanced tab, you can change your folding Cause Preference. This is useful if you fold for a specific cause.

In order to have your GPU fold under Ubuntu (again native not a virtual machine), you must update your drivers and apply flags. In 12.04.3, search the dash home (aka Start menu) for drivers and Additional Drivers should appear. In 13.04, this driver section has been combined with Software & Updates. To apply flags, in your [email protected] client click Configure then go to the Slots tab. Click Add if gpu is not listed and selected the radio button next to GPU. Next click Add, and type in client-type for name, and beta for value. Save the changes.

If you have a GPU that you wish to fold on, you will need to install [email protected] on the host as well (aka Windows). Go here, if you need a guide. Most of what you did for this guide is covered in there. You do not need to register for another passkey. You can put your username in as many clients and PCs as you wish. Just make sure when you install the [email protected] client in Windows to remove the CPU from the Slots tab in the Configure area. You want to make sure you're strictly GPU folding in Windows, and CPU folding in the virtual machine.

If you guys have any questions or corrections to make, please feel free to let me know. Images are coming soon!

Suggestion 1: Overheat Protection (suggestion by dmfree88)

For those who worry about overheating, there a couple options for you. CoreTemp offers an overheat protection feature. Download CoreTemp here (direct download). To set up this feature, follow the pictures. 

My suggestion for temperatures: Keep your max temperature at least 15-20C from TJ Max.

You can also configure overheat protection in your BIOS. Most motherboards I've used have this feature. However, it doesn't always work. The best way to determine if it does is to set the threshold at a low temperature and see if it shuts your PC down. Motherboards have a variety of interfaces, so mine will definitely be different than yours.

Restart your PC, and enter the BIOS. This will be different for everyone, but it could be F1, F2, delete. If you have your manual, check that. Otherwise just do the shotgun approach and spam the function keys as well as delete. Do know there's also the Pause | Break key. It will pause POST and allow you to see what key it requires. As it turns out my $350 motherboard doesn't contain this feature. Honestly I'd go with the CoreTemp route, but don't be afraid to poke around your BIOS to see if you have it.

This is an example of my POST sequence where it shows you how to get in.

Looking to sell your GPU? I'm always looking to add more to my folding collection. PM me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 02:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 103)
I feel stupid i did all this work and got ubuntu installed the VM up and running everything updated. Now I get [email protected] installed and it isnt working. I accidentally skipped the step to create a username and just made up my own. Then when i realized what i had done it wouldnt let me re-install and try again. The prompt to sign in or pick group never comes up again. No matter how many times i re-install I can not get it to work. I guess maybe I will have to start from scratch and re-install ubuntu again just to get it to work. I dont know but everytime I open up the FAHcontrol it just says i am connecting and everythings Greyed out.

Edit:

After reinstall of ubuntu and then updates etc (not an easy task i had to delete terminal but i think it left all the files cause Im still like 4gb short) I was able to get it to work. Thanks for the great guide got me through it quickly. The error was my mistake. Although maybe add some bold to the fact that you must either be anonymous or have a legit passcode or it WILL NOT WORK. If you fail there seems to be no way to re-install the client and re-enter information (atleast that I could find)

Post thought:

Maybe add an additional software section at the end explaining how to set-up a fail-safe for shutdown if cpu heat exceeds set amount. Just in case for some reason my fan dies or the cooler fails somehow then I like knowing my computer will be safe. I just made a .bat file with the shutdown command, then used hwinfo64 to run the bat file if my CPU exceeds 65 degrees (easily done in alerts section of sensor settings). Can save your computer from folding death. I am not sure if [email protected] already has some sort of fail-safe but I feel safer knowing hwinfo64 is on the job biggrin.gif
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
I Can Change This???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfree88 View Post

After reinstall of ubuntu and then updates etc (not an easy task i had to delete terminal but i think it left all the files cause Im still like 4gb short) I was able to get it to work. Thanks for the great guide got me through it quickly. The error was my mistake. Although maybe add some bold to the fact that you must either be anonymous or have a legit passcode or it WILL NOT WORK. If you fail there seems to be no way to re-install the client and re-enter information (atleast that I could find)

Well you would need the correct passkey to fold under that specific user. If you had the wrong passkey, it seems logical that it wouldn't record your stats. If you entered the wrong passkey/information, you could just go to Configure, then the Identity tab. Just re-enter your information there.
Quote:

Maybe add an additional software section at the end explaining how to set-up a fail-safe for shutdown if cpu heat exceeds set amount. Just in case for some reason my fan dies or the cooler fails somehow then I like knowing my computer will be safe. I just made a .bat file with the shutdown command, then used hwinfo64 to run the bat file if my CPU exceeds 65 degrees (easily done in alerts section of sensor settings). Can save your computer from folding death. I am not sure if [email protected] already has some sort of fail-safe but I feel safer knowing hwinfo64 is on the job biggrin.gif

I like the idea. Considering the level of tech on this forum, it's highly likely your BIOS will have the option as well.

Looking to sell your GPU? I'm always looking to add more to my folding collection. PM me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 103)
my bios temp safety never beeps, and never seems to fail i set it to beep at 60 and shutdown at 70 and it does neither. So i dont trust my bios personally. I couldnt find the identity tab at the time, but as soon as i reinstalled i got everything to work so it dont matter anymore i suppose. I need to start from scratch on this pc anyways its crammed with garbage. Anyways I really liked the guide though. I was someone who is completely clueless and this got me up and folding in like 20-30 minutes (including install times minus my screw-up). Already completed first workload smile.gif thanks for the info biggrin.gif
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
I Can Change This???

Quote:

my bios temp safety never beeps, and never seems to fail i set it to beep at 60 and shutdown at 70 and it does neither. So i dont trust my bios personally. I couldnt find the identity tab at the time, but as soon as i reinstalled i got everything to work so it dont matter anymore i suppose. I need to start from scratch on this pc anyways its crammed with garbage. Anyways I really liked the guide though. I was someone who is completely clueless and this got me up and folding in like 20-30 minutes (including install times minus my screw-up). Already completed first workload smile.gif thanks for the info biggrin.gif

I haven't ever used those BIOS features, but I can see what you mean. CoreTemp has a nice overheat feature and seems to work just fine.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 59)
Since Core 17 projects are now coming into the regular rotation, do we still need the client-type beta flag?

**edit** just an FYI, using the client-type beta has netted me two core 0x17 projects, one for each GTS 450 wink.gif

"Those satisfactions are permanent..."

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 04:49 AM
Senior Overclocker

Rep: 266 (Unique: 235)
Thanks for the guide!
I do have a question: how do I go about configuring HFM to monitor my progress in the VM within windows?

C2D 6750 -> C2Q 6600 -> C2Q 9550 -> i7 2600k -> i7 8700k
8800GT -> 8800GTS 512 -> GTX285 -> GTX480 -> GTX580 -> GTX780ti -> GTX980ti -> GTX1080ti
R.I.P. Daniel Costin (Syrillian)
Animal Mother
(19 items)
CPU
i7 8700k 5Ghz/4.8Ghz uncore 1.39v delid
Motherboard
Asrock Z370 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080Ti GamingX @ 2063Mhz/6000Mhz
RAM
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz CL16 1.4v Hynix
Hard Drive
Kingston UV400 240GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2x640GB Raid 0
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 1TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 2TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Green 2x3TB
Hard Drive
WD Elements 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair TX750W V2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15 w/MX4
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced + 7 case fans
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
LG 29UM69G 2560x1080 @ 75Hz
Keyboard
Redragon Yama
Mouse
Redragon Titanoboa 2
Audio
Asus Xonar DX / Plantronics Gamecom 777 / Logitech Z506
Other
Oculus Rift S + T500RS wheel and TH8RS shifter
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 02:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
I downloaded 13.10 version,is it ok?

PS:After one year of inactivity,my rig is folding again(with a new gtx 770 this time smile.gif )

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
I Can Change This???

I apologize for not tending to this thread guys. I just completely left OCN for a while when I planned to sell my main rig, which was also my [email protected] rig. I'll be sure to check this thread periodically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike44njdevils View Post

Since Core 17 projects are now coming into the regular rotation, do we still need the client-type beta flag?

**edit** just an FYI, using the client-type beta has netted me two core 0x17 projects, one for each GTS 450 wink.gif

I've been out of it for a while, after selling my rig. I'll check into that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptedvick View Post

Thanks for the guide!
I do have a question: how do I go about configuring HFM to monitor my progress in the VM within windows?

You will have to set your network adapter in the VM settings to Bridged mode. That will get your VM on the same network as your host PC. You'll want to make sure the VM has a static IP, so that when you're monitoring the address doesn't change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnko1 View Post

I downloaded 13.10 version,is it ok?

PS:After one year of inactivity,my rig is folding again(with a new gtx 770 this time smile.gif )

13.10 is still the latest version. It should be fine, and will most likely have better performance than 12 (meaning more PPD). If you run into problems, post them here. Otherwise, 12.04 will be fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in