[Ubuntu] F@H Installation For Ubuntu (GPU & CPU) - Page 28 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Ubuntu] [email protected] Installation For Ubuntu (GPU & CPU)

post #271 of 274 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:58 PM
Daisy Chained Dumb Switch

Rep: 50
i have my modded bios 980ti under ubuntu right now. its going great but one quick question; is the reported clock speed in the nvidia control panel correct 100% of the time? it don't make any sense that it'd be clocking lower then what i've defined in the bios. its 1519mhz NO MATTER WHAT in the bios and i usually don't have to do ANYTHING in windows for that to happen, but i'm seeing 1419mhz instead.

disabling the window manager? ppd increase? on gpu and cpu? i manage everything remotely anyway with fahcontrol on my windows box so i can do without any gui.

(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2666C15
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5"
Hard Drive
PNY CS1311 960GB 2.5"
Power Supply
SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 850W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 274 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Daisy Chained Dumb Switch

Rep: 50
i've collected TONS of stuff today trying to get this working the way i want. i'm using linux mint at this point with the ryzen 1800x + 980ti 24/7 folding rig. i THINK i'm done doing things to it...

here is everything i've saved...

Quote:

in relation to stopping and starting window managers Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Because you logged in into the desktop environment. It's like if you were trying to change the wheels of a car while in movement; you just can't do that. Logout (close your session), then press CTRL+ALT+F1 (that will open a terminal), enter user and password, then stop your display manager:
$ sudo service mdm stop
continue with the instructions you are following. Then restart the display manager:
$ sudo service mdm start
Login as usual. Don't forget to press CTRL+ALT+F1 to go back to the terminal and logout of it ($ exit). Press ALT+F7(F8,F9,F10..) to return to the graphic environment.

the OP of this post Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Well since people are liking my post over how to overclock several GPUs in Linux, I thought I might as well put up a full guide on how to get [email protected] fully working in Linux.
What will you find in this guide?
Notice: this guide is written based on my experience with 3 GTX 970
Notice2: this guide is based on a freshly installed Ubuntu flavor, personally I use Kubuntu

How to set up proper drivers, problems you'll run across, etc...
Downloading and installing FAH
Configuring FAH to fold GPU
Overclocking multiple GPUs for better folding numbers

How to set up proper drivers
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to hide)
Things to know:
CLI = Command Line Interface
CLI is accessed via keyboard shortcut CTRL + ALT + F1
DM = Display Manager
GUI = Graphical User Interface rolleyes.gif
This is a list rolleyes.gif

Well, this was a bit of a challenging part for me. What you will need to know is how to use Command Line Interface (CLI) in order to achieve installing the proper drivers to your system.
The main issue that I personally came across was that when I wanted to do anything through CLI, I end up with a black screen without a login prompt, and this is bad. Why is it bad? Well the only way to install NVIDIA drivers is to go through CLI and stopping your Display Manager (DM) service, that means no GUI. If you don't have GUI you will need to use CLI, but if you can't access CLI then it's doh.gif
So let's get right to it:

Obtain proper drivers for your GPU and make the package runnable/executable
First head to NVIDIA's drivers download page found HERE
Select your 9xx Series GPU and download the latest Stable driver, I personally do not get BETA drivers, You can try that.
Navigate to the location of your downloaded driver via Terminal and run this command
Code:
chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64*

Now that you have obtained and made the package executable, we will take a few extra steps before installing the drivers to ensure you will never come across the CLI screen not appearing, this seems to be a hit and miss issue, in order to avoid the hassle do the following:
Open Terminal
run this command
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

press Y to let it install, don't worry, they are not the correct drivers...... still don't worry, or worry.... up to you
reboot your PC
What's the purpose of this? Well sometimes nouveau doesn't do its job properly, and because of this module, it's the default display module for all Ubuntu flavors... generic crap, when it comes to GTX 9xx series the CLI won't be displayed. What happens when you install the drivers from the store via apt-get command is that it takes over the display module BUT since the driver was not made for our GPUs the resolution will be of that freshly installed windows 7. On the bright side, now you can access your CLI yessir.gif <--- pew pew time

Now it is time for the magic (to think that Linux is getting more user friendly lachen.gif .... said no one ever):
Things to know:
nouveau Must be blacklisted, it will conflict with everything you do, generic crap will always remain generic crap
You will have to stop your DM service (lightdm, mdm, kdm, etc...)
You will have to know how to start your DM

If you don't feel like you're a hacker, now is the time to feel like one, so act like one, and be paranoid and hope this will work out for you.

First access CLI (CTL + ALT + F1) and login
Now stop your DM service
Code:
sudo service lightdm stop

replace lightdm with whatever DM you are using

Let's blacklist nouveau while we're in CLI, how to achieve that is the following:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

and add the following lines to it:
Code:
blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off

Let's remove those crappy NVIDIA drivers that gave you these crappy display resolution (who the heck suggested this crap anyways.... rolleyes.gif )
Code:
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

typer.gif
^^^ feel like that yet?
Navigate to the location of your downloaded driver via CD command
now type
Code:
ls -l

just for giggle, to to fill your screen some more tongue.gif
anyhow, make sure you actually see the driver there, if so then run the following command (if not, well shizzle.... smile.gif ):
Code:
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64*

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE DRIVER DO NOT RUN THAT COMMAND WITH A *, INSTEAD TYPE IN THE WHOLE FILE NAME.EXTENSION

Agree and Yes to everything the driver package tells you
Once it is done run
Code:
sudo reboot

When it reboots, you should be back in your GUI, if not (Still in CLI) run
Code:
sudo service lightdm start

replace lightdm with whatever DM you have

And that's all for driver installation process.

Downloading and Installing FAH
It is no rocket science to install FAH, just linux science...
Download the client HERE
Download the control HERE
Optional: Download the viewer HERE
Download the latest GPUs.txt found HERE

Personally, I like to feel like I'm accomplishing something, so naturally I would head over to Terminal and do my stuff.
navigate to the location where you downloaded these files and install them:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahclient*

Code:
sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahcontrol*

Code:
sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahvie*

IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE VERSION OF THE FAH* THEN SPECIFY THE FULL NAME.EXTENSION WHEN INSTALLING

During the installation of fahclient (or control, dont remember which), you will be prompted to enter username or be a ninja folder, you will be asked for you keyphrase, and a team that you're folding for. If this doesn't show up, worry not.... you can configure all this in the fahclient
Now that you've installed all the required stuff, you will find FAHClient in your start/kickoff/applications menu, open it, and configure your identity if you haven't already.

One problem you might come across, FAHClient will remain in connecting... phase, this is because fahcontrol has not yet been started, to start it do the following:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient start

now you will be able to configure if you weren't able to before, your status should be Connected

To stop it you do
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient stop

To restart it
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient restart

After you're done with configuring you identity, please stop the FAH service and go on to the next section.

How to fold with GTX 9xx series GPU

It is time to copy the newly obtained GPUs.txt, from the previous steps, to the right location in order to get folding with the GTX 9xx series.
Again, I use terminal to do so, open terminal and navigate to the location of GPUs.txt
Code:
sudo cp GPUs.txt /var/lib/fahclient

that should let you fold with 9xx GPUs
I added an extra step for myself and also added that file in:
Code:
sudo cp GPUs.txt /etc/fahclient

Personally, I'd like to restart the PC after doing this, so Restart
Now open your FAHClient, if it is folding your CPU then you're good for the next step, if it is trying to connect then run
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient start

now your client should be folding your CPU.
I have removed CPU folding from my list to do GPU folding, but that's because I have 3 GTX 970, when you try to add a slot right now, you should be able to add GPU, either you let it automatically choose the index (-1) or you specify it yourself. Index 0 being your first GPU. So add it, and add the other ones that you have based on the index, click on save
Congrats, You're now folding with GTX 9xx GPU

OMG, the PPD is O.o
Can't help but think that Windows Kernel probably wastes a lot of time doing things that should be done during the development phase, like debugging, tracing, taking breaks, etc..., maybe that's why the PPD in Windows is so low.

If you feel a little bit greedy, then the next section is for you

Overclocking multiple GPUs for better folding numbers

So in this section we will go over how to set up your machine so that it can overclock all your GPUs, not just one (if you have more than one), no bios flash required
let us begin
NOTICE: Your overclock will not stick upon reboot, you must re-overclock

the idea was to attach fake monitors to the other 2 graphics cards, do the coolbits 12 and overclocking became available for all 3.
and how to do that is simple, you modify your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In ServerLayout section, you will add screens, mind the screen names, depending on how many graphics cards you have - 1, in my case i added 2 because i have 3
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
-->Screen 1 "Screen1" 0 0
-->Screen 2 "Screen2" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Next you add the fake monitors to your xorg.config
Code:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "Fake1"
ModelName "Monitor"
HorizSync 30.0 - 94.0
VertRefresh 48.0 - 85.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor2"
VendorName "Fake2"
ModelName "Monitor"
HorizSync 30.0 - 94.0
VertRefresh 48.0 - 85.0
EndSection

Next, make sure that all your devices are there in the xorg.conf file with their bus ID, most likely they are there but without, it will be better to include the bus ID like so:
Code:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device1"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:4:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device2"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
EndSection

Now you add the Screen, must match the names of ServerLayout, in this step is how you assign your gpus to fake/real monitors,
notice Device has to match your Device section, and your Identifier has to be the same as Screen in ServerLayout
Code:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "Coolbits" "12"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Device1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "Coolbits" "12"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen2"
Device "Device2"
Monitor "Monitor2"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "Coolbits" "12"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Once you're done with that reboot your pc, login, open terminal and run the following command:
Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig --cool-bits=12

This command is optional and you can use it IF putting (Option "Coolbits" "12" ) in xorg.conf file didn't work out for you
Reboot your pc again, then open the nvidia X server Settings, you will have overclock capabilities for all your gpus under PowerMizer and fan control option under Thermal Settings

good luck thumb.gif

Note for everyone, if you've found something else that I should include/fix/add/remove in/out/from/there/here/that/then/yes/no/banan/etc... the guide please do not hesitate to let me know

If you lose your overclocking capabilities due to monitor not attached to a gpu, please look below
As @Klue22 posted, you might run into problems if you forgot to attach a monitor to one of your gpus
To fix this, please follow his post found HERE
Edited by XtachiX - 5/23/15 at 8:09am

i believe that using the newest kernel will help ryzen so here are things related to issues installing nvidia drivers on it Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

i still have a clockspeed issue on the gpu. for whatever reason linux won't let my modded bios actually WORK. it will still clock it down for ZERO reason. on windows, 100% all day can do 1500-1520 without any sort of dynamic frequency WITHOUT touching anything in afterburner. but noooooo not linux... that special flower needs to do things its own friggin way. i'm not even sure if i'm getting a performance benefit from this annoyance.

(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2666C15
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5"
Hard Drive
PNY CS1311 960GB 2.5"
Power Supply
SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 850W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #273 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 241
I have beat my head against a wall a few times in the past month trying to get my GPUs folding again in Ubuntu, having trouble getting the drivers working, and I came across this post today, got my drivers working in just a few minutes. rolleyes.gif
https://askubuntu.com/a/825026
Quote:
Manual removal of nouveau is not required anymore. If you install nvidia drivers from Additional Drivers on Ubuntu, the installation scripts will make sure that nouveau is blacklisted.

However, before you do anything you have to add graphics repo for nvidia drivers:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
I suggest you have a look at nvidia website for the drivers your card supports and install those from the Additional Drivers tool on Ubuntu.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 265
Yeah it was only a pain since the good 346.96 driver was no longer in a PPA, at least not the ones I had looked for. Going straight from a PPA is much simpler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in