[Windows 7] 2500k & X6 Bigadv Folding w/ Native Linux Client - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Windows 7] 2500k & X6 Bigadv Folding w/ Native Linux Client

Closed Thread

post #21 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 305 (Unique: 244)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutis;12832475 
Here's what my two -bigadv sytems would do to a 6901

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17730&start=30#p176708

I'm a LINUX n00b of 6 years now and was told a long time ago not to fold as root...so I haven't wink.gif

What file extension are you using ext3 or ext4?

I fold as root, not really worried about security on my vm with no shared folders either direction, also folding as root so I didn't need to create another user.

Swyped from my DROID X

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 534 (Unique: 417)
I'm so doing this tonight. I've forgotten 2 nights in a row and then been reminded of it at work. lol

post #23 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 32)
Really need to get this information back in essential threads so we don't lose it.

Also, what changes would I need to make to run with this on a 980X (12 threads)?

Assume I can just run Linux (dual boot) straight, without going through a VM in Windoze, and fold in that?

sstnt

skull.gifFolding Team: The Misfitsskull.gif
SEVEN TIME TEAM COMPETITION CHAMPIONS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 266 (Unique: 196)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstnt;12837384 
Really need to get this information back in essential threads so we don't lose it.

Also, what changes would I need to make to run with this on a 980X (12 threads)?

Assume I can just run Linux (dual boot) straight, without going through a VM in Windoze, and fold in that?

As far as I know, yes you can do that.

post #25 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 534 (Unique: 417)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstnt;12837384 

You can and it's preferable. You shouldn't need to use that script. That script is for CPUs with fewer than 8 threads available.

Just download the native linux SMP client into linux, configure it, and go.

post #26 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyboyd;12837492 
You can and it's preferable. You shouldn't need to use that script. That script is for CPUs with fewer than 8 threads available.

Just download the native linux SMP client into linux, configure it, and go.

Great...going to work on it this weekend (with help from my son, a linux expert). I pretty much fold 24x7 on my rig for the Team Comp. Getting over 62k ppd now, but someone on another team with a 970 just went over and dropped his tpf about 10%, and is getting est 75k ppd now. I want!!

Oh, would folding in linux impact my OC? Assume that's mostly HW...but there might be an impact on memory, temp, etc. Might I get a better OC in Linux or doesn't it matter?

As a side question (not sure if anyone here knows), if I am working a -bigadv wu in linux....then want/need to go to windows..can I move the wu over and fold on it in windows, and then move it back? Wonder if that would cause an issue with bonus points, etc?

sstnt

skull.gifFolding Team: The Misfitsskull.gif
SEVEN TIME TEAM COMPETITION CHAMPIONS

post #27 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 266 (Unique: 196)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstnt;12838030 
As a side question (not sure if anyone here knows), if I am working a -bigadv wu in linux....then want/need to go to windows..can I move the wu over and fold on it in windows, and then move it back? Wonder if that would cause an issue with bonus points, etc?

I'm no expert on the matter, but I don't think you would be able to do that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this would be a similar situation to submitting a WU on a different computer than you folded the WU on. In that situation I don't think you earn any bonus points for your WU's.

post #28 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstnt;12838030 
Great...going to work on it this weekend (with help from my son, a linux expert). I pretty much fold 24x7 on my rig for the Team Comp. Getting over 62k ppd now, but someone on another team with a 970 just went over and dropped his tpf about 10%, and is getting est 75k ppd now. I want!!

Oh, would folding in linux impact my OC? Assume that's mostly HW...but there might be an impact on memory, temp, etc. Might I get a better OC in Linux or doesn't it matter?

Since it would be using different cores it would most likely crash.

post #29 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 38)
Regarding the OC, and bearing in mind that I'm still an OC n00b, my understanding is that that would only be for the hardware - as that's what would cause a BSOD (I presume that a Linux box would BSOD if there was a HW fault) or instability...but I might be slightly off..

I've seen the light - it was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card.
Fold first, ask questions later!! wheee.gifPretend you're on the internet; we can't see your computer and know nothing about it
Quotage (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometoast go_quote.gif
Little luck, little bit of bad ass hardware, lots of domination! thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosSpiceyWeiner go_quote.gif
It won't break, it just gets a little messy
You can stick it in, just be careful about when you pull it out.... biggrin.gif

post #30 of 348 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

You would def get a kernel panic if you had an unstable OC.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in