Christmas Mechanical Keyboard - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Christmas Mechanical Keyboard

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 31)
Hi!

Well, Christmas is now over, and I emerge with $150 that I would very much like to spend on a mechanical keyboard. Of course, I am completely spoilt for choice at this price point, which is why I am here.

I would like the keyboard to come with cherry MX Blue or Brown keyswitches. I would also like a good wrist rest on it, like the one on the Steelseries 7g (I would buy the 7g except it comes with MX Blacks frown.gif ). However, if the keyboard is low enough that a wrist rest is not required, then I wouldn't really need one.

In terms of extras, backlighting is not important to me; I barely use my computer at night at all. I would however like to have audio pass through, although this is not a must.

Any suggestions?

Please read post #8

My Groups (Click to show)
Quote:
I think the only thing that matters in life is just participating in this world (not just the OCN community) and being completely focused on the people while ignoring all of the superficial things. I believe that we are all here for each other, not for ourselves. It's like a famous man once said: judge people by the content of their character.
-Twocables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 05:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 22)
Have you looked at the WASD keyboard? The fully custom option with the wrist rest is just under the 150 mark before shipping. The semi custom option is 120 and the wrist rest is another 8. Either option gives you the choice of which switch you get.

Missed the part about audio pass through.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 05:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 20)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 61)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willywill View Post

No keyboard is perfect but the Max Nighthawk X7 might be the one
http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-nighthawk-x7-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

i was going to recommend the same one.
I am looking at the X8 myself with browns.

-dimwit-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged_Steel 
this forum is composed of ~98% Mountain Dew burping, Cheeto fingered gamer kids that could not string together a proper sentence if their lives depended on it.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I was just wondering, what is the difference between the X7, X8, X9 and the G1NL? They are all the same price at my local store.

Quote:
I think the only thing that matters in life is just participating in this world (not just the OCN community) and being completely focused on the people while ignoring all of the superficial things. I believe that we are all here for each other, not for ourselves. It's like a famous man once said: judge people by the content of their character.
-Twocables
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM

FYI Duckys do have wrist rests, they are separate though. http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9674
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Also, is the CM Storm Trigger of similar quality to the keyboards in the Quickfire series?

Quote:
-Twocables
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK people. Realistically, cannot ship from anywhere else, and would like to buy a mechanical keyboard locally. The options I have are limited to a few popular keyboards. These include all the black widows, all of cooler masters mech keyboards, and the two steel series boards. All of these I can source at a price that is under budget, so all I need is a second opinion.

To help galvanize you, I will wait exactly one week, and at the end of that week, the person who submitted the most in-depth and useful opinion on which keyboard is the best will be given a $20 iTunes gift card!

Just post which keyboard you think is the best out of the selection I have, and why.

Keyboards Available to Me: (thanks to The_chemist21)

-Razer Blackwidow (all of the editions, including the 2013 models)

-Cooler Master Storm Quickfire Rapid/Pro/TK

-Cooler Master Storm Trigger

-Steelseries 6Gv2/7g

My preferences on features are pretty much zip at this point (including on key switches). I would be happy with any of these keyboards. So convince me!

Edit: If you really think that there is another keyboard that I should be getting that is not in this list, just add about $50 to the price (that is how much shipping costs) and explain why it is the best.

Edit: All of the keyboards from this page have only about $20 shipping, so these are pretty much all under budget (except for the Topre ones of course).

Budget: $175 (AUD)

Quote:
-Twocables
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 333 (Unique: 228)
I would update your first post with the keyboards that are available to you locally so that we may help you better.

Edit: You can do seomthing like this

Keyboards available
  • blah
  • blah
  • blah

Keyboards I like

• blah
  • blah
  • blah
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)
I have a SteelSeries 7G, and I am very pleased with the build quality - coming from a Razer Lycosa....POS that was. Hence I do not recommend Razer, im not sure if they stepped up their game but from personal experience they are pretty bad. As you want blues or browns, sadly SteelSeries cant help you there. I've heard good things from the CM's and they are quite cheap too from memory. Try asking someone what they think of the CM?
GL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in