When considering which Cherry MX switch to buy... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

When considering which Cherry MX switch to buy...

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 34)
...it occurs to me that the primary point of concern for potential first-time mechanical keyboard owners is how each of the switch type would work for them in the long run. Will they find the soothing clicking of the blues more annoying than they thought? Will they later decide they should have gone with the lighter action reds instead of the blacks for their gaming? As a prospective first-time buyer, myself, I think there is one question, the answer to which could go a long way toward making me confident I'm making the right choice where my own needs are concerned (well, *more* confident, anyway - I realize it's still ultimately a matter of personal preference).

Ignoring for the moment what you know now, back when you were considering the purchase of your first Cherry MX-based board, on what did you base your ultimate decision as to which color switch to buy? Did it satisfy your needs and personal preferences as you expected, and, if not, what did you end up with?

Ok, technically two or three questions. tongue.gif

"You might be a king, or a little street-sweeper,
But sooner or later, you dance with the Reaper."

-- Grim Reaper, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 288 (Unique: 249)
The gaming/typing ratio.

Blues feel better for typing while blacks/reds feel better for gaming. Browns are a middle ground from what I've read.

Blues do half the work for my fingers, I feel. The sound is pleasant for me, I enjoy the tactile sound/bump, but the wife shuts my door in frustration when I go on a typing frenzy.

If I could go back and buy again, I would get blues to start.

Windows 7: An OS so nice, it doesn't need a service pack twice.
Steam: KangarooCornchips
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 22)
before I got my Ducky Shine II I had not used any mechanical keyboard yet but based off the data from the mechanical keyboard guide listed here in the stickies I was leaning towards blues or browns. I liked the idea of the tactile response from those two switches. I bounced back and forth in my head wondering which I might like better. I finally bit the bullet and went with the MX Blues. Since I've had my ducky for several weeks now I've had the chance to try MX reds and found the feel is very different. At this point I'm glad I didn't go with a linear switched keyboard like the blacks or the reds. A couple of the keyboard makers like wasd and some other what they call sample packs which is the 4 more common colors for Cherry MX Switches eg. blue, brown, black, and red and some key caps so you can get a feel for what the switches are like first hand without a significant investment of buying an actual keyboard. Other ideas is check various places in your area and see if there are any out for demo or check with friends. Also look at your keyboarding habits. Do you primarily game, type, or somewhere in between. The guide here has a lot of good information. After that it's reviews and sorting out what you do most and what you think would work best for you. Other than that it's try to get a chance to test the different switch types hands on. Personally I'm really loving the blues. I'm not so fond of linear switches at this point and I might see if I can find a chance to try a brown switch keyboard and see if I like it as much as the blues. I might try a green (like blues but a tad stiffer) if I can find one though I might still prefer the blues. just my 2cents.gif I hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47 (Unique: 38)
I went with blues, but wish that I would have at least tried browns in comparison first. But the keyboard I ended up getting was the last one available from the vendor before they ran out of stock, and they were discontinued, so I took my chances. Still really happy with it, though. It has a matte rubberized finish, which I really like, and I did the O-ring mod to tone down the clicking a little, just the bottoming out of the keys.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 49 (Unique: 40)
I went to frys and tried as many demo board as I could. I settled on browns w/dampers I have been quite pleased with this choice

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I just bought a CM storm quickfire Tk with Blue switches. Never used a mech keyboard before but new i wanted either brown or blue from reading up on all the types. I also bought a set of o-rings in case i need to tone down the noise a bit. No matter what you decide to go with, its going to be different from what you're used to but you'll end up getting used to the way it types and feels in no time.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I like my red biggrin.gif

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zflamewing View Post

before I got my Ducky Shine II I had not used any mechanical keyboard yet but based off the data from the mechanical keyboard guide listed here in the stickies I was leaning towards blues or browns. I liked the idea of the tactile response from those two switches. I bounced back and forth in my head wondering which I might like better. I finally bit the bullet and went with the MX Blues. Since I've had my ducky for several weeks now I've had the chance to try MX reds and found the feel is very different. At this point I'm glad I didn't go with a linear switched keyboard like the blacks or the reds.

Thank you. You're one of the few to actually understand what I was asking for. Probably my own fault for not articulating it sufficiently. Basically I'd like to know what people expected from their chosen switch type going into purchasing their first mechanical keyboard, and if it met their expectations or left them considering something else.

"You might be a king, or a little street-sweeper,
But sooner or later, you dance with the Reaper."

-- Grim Reaper, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1012 (Unique: 603)
I had a total of three to choose from when I got mine since it wasn't as expansive as now (unless you went out of your way to hunt down different kb's).

Ruled out blacks right away since I needed the keyboard to be good for all around use. Was stuck on Blue and Browns but ended up going with blues after seeing some vids. Good choice but doesn't matter now since I switched to Topre. Had the HHKB for over 2 years now, no regrets.

Sinar F | Toyo 45CF (Rodenstock Grandagon-N 75mm f/4.5| Rodenstock Sironar-N 135mm f/5.6 | Nikkor-W 180mm f/5.6) | Profoto Acute2 1200w (2xD4)

OCN Team Fortress 2 Group
|How Marin got her new mouse!|Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Click Otaku|Happy Hacking Professional 2
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 278 (Unique: 247)
My reds are staying on this desk. Where I do my gaming.

After feeling them I am very eager to try my hands at blues for text.

Firestrike vs. Similar Systems
FIRESTRIKE EXTREME ULTRA
LittleBitties
(13 items)
PC of the Son.
(9 items)
CPU
ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Gaming-ITX
GPU
ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX Vega 64
RAM
Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3333MHz
Hard Drive
Intel 660p M.2 512GB
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 1000
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
Metallic Gear MGNE210 BLACK
Monitor
Viotek GN34C
Keyboard
Corsair K75 LUX
Mouse
Corsair M65 RGB
Mousepad
Corsair "speedmat?"
Audio
AKG K240 ( 1987 )
CPU
AMD Athlon 950
Motherboard
ASRock AB350M
GPU
Zotac GTX 1050Ti OC
RAM
GeIL EVO SPEAR 2x4GB DDR4-2400
Hard Drive
HP EX900 500GB M.2
Power Supply
Corsair CX450M
Cooling
AMD Wraith SPIRE RGB
Case
CM Q300L
Monitor
QNIX 2710
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in