Keyboard Suggestion Thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Keyboard Suggestion Thread

post #1 of 2376 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist
Paradigm84 is an unknown quantity at this point Paradigm84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to OCN's Keyboard Suggestion thread!

Firstly, we suggest looking at the OCN Recommended Mechanical Keyboards thread, there you can see some of the most popular and recommended boards, suggested by members of OCN.

This thread is mainly for advice on keyboards, so please keep general keyboard talk to the Mechanical Keyboard Club.

I will only be giving suggestions to people who adequately fill out the questions below, these questions are designed to streamline the process of you getting help, so it isn't dragged out over several posts. If you don't know enough about mechanical keyboards to provide an answer for the questions, visit the Mechanical Keyboard Guide so you understand what tactility, KRO etc means.

It's worth noting you will only receive suggestions in this thread, we can't objectively say which board is better for you, in the end it's your money being spent, so it's job to pick which board to spend your money on.

Code:
[LIST][*] [B]Location:[/B][*] [B]If [U]not[/U] in the US or UK, links to stores in your country:[/B][*] [B]Any keyboards you currently have in mind:[/B][*] [B]Price:[/B][*] [B]Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ):[/B][*] [B]Size (60%, TKL, full size etc):[/B][*] [B]Use (games/ programming/ typing etc):[/B][*] [B]USB/ PS2:[/B][*] [B]KRO:[/B][*] [B]Macro keys (yes/ no):[/B][*] [B]Media keys (yes/ no):[/B][*] [B]Layout (US/ ANSI, etc):[/B][*] [B]Switch type (if not known complete the questions below):[/B][*] [B]*Noise level (high/low):[/B][*] [B]*Tactility (yes/ no):[/B][*] [B]*Stiffness (high/ low):[/B][/LIST]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2376 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 PM
New to Overclock.net
kira20203 Level 1

Price:70-140
Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ):would be a plus but no
Size (60%, TKL, full size etc):full size
Use (games/ programming/ typing etc):Gaming
USB/ PS2:USB
KRO:high
Macro keys (yes/ no):not needed but would be a plus
Media keys (yes/ no):yes ok if you need a fn button for it
Layout (US/ ANSI, etc):US
Switch type (if not known complete the questions below):Cherry red

My roommate got the steel series with mx black and i like it is a little tough to push the buttons down so he recommended the reds
i've been using the g15 for about 6 years now and its still in good condition but im looking for an upgrade to mechanical keys thx in advance
post #3 of 2376 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Retired Staff
Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira20203 View Post

Price:70-140
Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ):would be a plus but no
Size (60%, TKL, full size etc):full size
Use (games/ programming/ typing etc):Gaming
USB/ PS2:USB
KRO:high
Macro keys (yes/ no):not needed but would be a plus
Media keys (yes/ no):yes ok if you need a fn button for it
Layout (US/ ANSI, etc):US
Switch type (if not known complete the questions below):Cherry red

My roommate got the steel series with mx black and i like it is a little tough to push the buttons down so he recommended the reds
i've been using the g15 for about 6 years now and its still in good condition but im looking for an upgrade to mechanical keys thx in advance

Cooler Master Storm Trigger:

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/trigger-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 2376 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 PM
New to Overclock.net
samstaee Level 1

I currently have a Razer BlackWidow but am looking for something a little bit quieter, although I like the tactility of the BlackWidow so I think cherry browns are what I am looking for.
Any keyboards you currently have in mind: ducky shine 9008
Price: <150
Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ): yes
Size (60%, TKL, full size etc): full size
Use (games/ programming/ typing etc): games/programming
USB/ PS2: either
KRO: high
Macro keys (yes/ no): not necessary
Media keys (yes/ no): not necessary
Layout (US/ ANSI, etc): US
Switch type (if not known complete the questions below): i think cherry brown/black
*Noise level (high/low): low
*Tactility (yes/ no):
*Stiffness (high/ low):

post #5 of 2376 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 PM
New to Overclock.net
kira20203 Level 1

ok thanks tator i decided on that keyboard you were a big help
post #6 of 2376 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 01:53 AM
New to Overclock.net
pandalin Level 1

Any keyboards you currently have in mind: Rosewill RK-9000BRI (but i'm not sure about it as i've heard it has problems with the mUSB plug)
Price:<110 (could go a little over if it's worth it)
Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ): could do with or without
Size (60%, TKL, full size etc): don't care, as long as it has the numpad area
Use (games/ programming/ typing etc): games (fifa mainly) and programming
USB/ PS2: would preffer ps/2
KRO: highest possible
Macro keys (yes/ no): don't care
Media keys (yes/ no):don't care
Layout (US/ ANSI, etc):us
Switch type (if not known complete the questions below): red or brown

post #7 of 2376 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Retired Staff
Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about Tator Tot has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstaee View Post

I currently have a Razer BlackWidow but am looking for something a little bit quieter, although I like the tactility of the BlackWidow so I think cherry browns are what I am looking for.
Any keyboards you currently have in mind: ducky shine 9008
Price: <150
Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ): yes
Size (60%, TKL, full size etc): full size
Use (games/ programming/ typing etc): games/programming
USB/ PS2: either
KRO: high
Macro keys (yes/ no): not necessary
Media keys (yes/ no): not necessary
Switch type (if not known complete the questions below): i think cherry brown/black
*Noise level (high/low): low
*Tactility (yes/ no):
*Stiffness (high/ low):

You could try the RK-9000BL. It's currently $60 on Newegg, and the MX-Black switchs may suit your needs well. MX-Blacks may be a bit tiring, but that just depends on the person.

You could also buy the MX Brown version for $90 at the same time. Spend your whole budget, and sell the board you don't like.

Besides the switches & casing color; there is no difference between the boards and they're both solid options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira20203 View Post

ok thanks tator i decided on that keyboard you were a big help

No problem, it's an excellent board. Solid build quality & value to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandalin View Post

Any keyboards you currently have in mind: Rosewill RK-9000BRI (but i'm not sure about it as i've heard it has problems with the mUSB plug)
Price:<110 (could go a little over if it's worth it)
Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ): could do with or without
Size (60%, TKL, full size etc): don't care, as long as it has the numpad area
Use (games/ programming/ typing etc): games (fifa mainly) and programming
USB/ PS2: would preffer ps/2
KRO: highest possible
Macro keys (yes/ no): don't care
Media keys (yes/ no):don't care
Layout (US/ ANSI, etc):us
Switch type (if not known complete the questions below): red or brown

The plug issue on those boards is a bit overblown as long as you're not tossing your keyboard all over the place. The plug doesn't fall out if the board is just sitting there and you're typing or gaming on it.

The other options could be the Ducky DK2108 Zero.

A solid built budget board.

If you want to add backlighting and wouldn't mind something a little odd, there's the QuickFire TK

post #8 of 2376 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 03:04 PM
New to Overclock.net
RevenantX3 Level 1

Any keyboards you currently have in mind: None, I shopped once about 10 months ago, but I know keyboards are like headphones in that respect, that once you see them, if the run's gone, they're rare.
Price:0-130
Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ):Would be great, but not required, I wanted to dye or buy custom keys.
Size (60%, TKL, full size etc): Full Size
Use (games/ programming/ typing etc): Gaming and Typing evenly. I want Cherry MX Browns, I think.
USB/ PS2: Doesn't matter, as long as there full duplex, no ghosting.
KRO: See above, I'm not that critical, but at least 5-7 keys.
Macro keys (yes/ no): Could be nice, but not required.
Media keys (yes/ no): These are the devil. A lack or key dummy for a windows key on one side would rock.
Switch type (if not known complete the questions below): Cherry MX Browns please
*Noise level (high/low): My old keyboard was loud, I don't mind it, but my Mumble-mates do.
*Tactility (yes/ no): I dislike flat keys. A lot. For typing I need the scalloped keys, just been too used to them now.
*Stiffness (high/ low): I like the way rubber domes feel, honestly, but I would like smoother/lighter key presses.

EDIT: I haven't actually tried any mechanical keyboards except for the old spring keys before. Those were strange. I am assuming I'd like Browns.
post #9 of 2376 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevenantX3 View Post

Any keyboards you currently have in mind: None, I shopped once about 10 months ago, but I know keyboards are like headphones in that respect, that once you see them, if the run's gone, they're rare.
Price:0-130
Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ):Would be great, but not required, I wanted to dye or buy custom keys.
Size (60%, TKL, full size etc): Full Size
Use (games/ programming/ typing etc): Gaming and Typing evenly. I want Cherry MX Browns, I think.
USB/ PS2: Doesn't matter, as long as there full duplex, no ghosting.
KRO: See above, I'm not that critical, but at least 5-7 keys.
Macro keys (yes/ no): Could be nice, but not required.
Media keys (yes/ no): These are the devil. A lack or key dummy for a windows key on one side would rock.
Switch type (if not known complete the questions below): Cherry MX Browns please
*Noise level (high/low): My old keyboard was loud, I don't mind it, but my Mumble-mates do.
*Tactility (yes/ no): I dislike flat keys. A lot. For typing I need the scalloped keys, just been too used to them now.
*Stiffness (high/ low): I like the way rubber domes feel, honestly, but I would like smoother/lighter key presses.

EDIT: I haven't actually tried any mechanical keyboards except for the old spring keys before. Those were strange. I am assuming I'd like Browns.

Your criteria actually leaves you open to many different keyboards.

Leopold FC500R would probably be right up your ally though. All of the features you want, and no guff. If you really wanna quiet them down, I'd get some of the firm soft landing pads from Elitekeyboards with it.

post #10 of 2376 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 PM
New to Overclock.net
samstaee Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post

You could try the RK-9000BL. It's currently $60 on Newegg, and the MX-Black switchs may suit your needs well. MX-Blacks may be a bit tiring, but that just depends on the person.
You could also buy the MX Brown version for $90 at the same time. Spend your whole budget, and sell the board you don't like.

Besides the switches & casing color; there is no difference between the boards and they're both solid options.

Thanks, I will have to see how much this board costs in New Zealand. But from what I can see it looks like it will fit my needs.

Edit: This keyboard doesn't look like it is backlit, maybe I could try the RK-9100BR?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in