[CLUB] ESDF Movement Key Users United - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[CLUB] ESDF Movement Key Users United

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Help Spread The Use Of ESDF To The World !!
Quote:
Little bit about the Club Creator, been gaming daily since I was 8, moved to pc when I was 20, went pro in two games at 25, went to paris for the Electronic Sports World Cup in 2006, Worked a little with valve on CS:S, Worked with the Warsow team a bit, worked on Quake 3 CPMA extensively with the lead programmer for about 4 years, worked with him on quakelive for a month or two overseeing something that they may have missed, managed to get a few of my mods implemented into quakelive and some ideas for quake 5. I first introduced the idea to Quake 3 CPMA's programmer in 2007 and was immediately agreed upon and Implemented as the default key-binds in the next release after discussion and community vote.

WHY ESDF? I've composed a list of benefits as to why WASD is outdated and ESDF is better suited for modern gaming. I am also hoping to introduce it to experienced users and to help spread the knowledge so even more users can enjoy this setup

Reasons
  • The reason wasd was even used in the first place was Because Of Ghosting while using esdf. The way keyboards are routed internally would create missed key-presses due to keys using the same route on the PCB. Modern keyboards remove this problem and the wide spread knowledge of PS/2 usage has confirmed wasd to no longer be needed and esdf is no longer a problem.
  • Typing teaches you to place your hands on asdf, which enables the use of esdf, and is the reason for the nubs on F and J keys.
  • Using esdf allows for faster hand placement recovery after using:
    • A macro area
    • F-Keys
    • Food
    • Drink
    • Dark Environment
    • Joystick
    • Secondary Keypad
  • Basically any left hand multitasking
  • ESDF also leaves more room for your pinky and ring finger to be more productive opening Q W Z X 1 2 and 3 available for more binds.
  • With the right side of your hand shifted over more this allows you to hit T B and 5 now for even more binds

To Become A Member
Submit your user name and keyboard you pwn with using ESDF in the thread

Be social!
Share why you started using esdf
Share when you started using esdf
Share who told you to try esdf
Share how we could spread the word about esdf

My Unique Binds
Code:
A - Sprint
G - Knife
W - MedPack
Q - Weap Alt / Special
T - Nade
Z - Crouch
Space - Jump (RightClick in Quake)
Middle Wheel Button - Action / Use
MouseWheel Up - Primary
MouseWheel Dn - Secondary
Mouse Side Button - Reload

Club's Signature Code
Code:
[URL=www.overclock.net/t/1373884/club-esdf-movement-key-users-united]□ESDF Movement Key Users United□[/URL]
Optional ESDF Image

Something to Add? Error in the post?
PM ME

Help Spread The Use Of ESDF To The World !!

Thanks For Being A Great Community,
-mikeMARTIN.co

5 GHz Overclock Club
Mechanical Keyboard Club
Intel SSD Owners Club
□ ESDF Movement Key Users United □ _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_->NEW CLUB! JOIN, READ THE DATA & TRY IT !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

theres gotta be someone out there. if not none of you know what your missing rofl

5 GHz Overclock Club
Mechanical Keyboard Club
Intel SSD Owners Club
□ ESDF Movement Key Users United □ _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_->NEW CLUB! JOIN, READ THE DATA & TRY IT !!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 PM
TEC Veteran

Rep: 110 (Unique: 90)
I have lanky, skinny, long fingered XXL hands and still find it a stretch to CTRL/Shift with my pinky compared to WASD, and I can't imagine binding them to tiny keys like A and Z. Maybe that's over a decade and a half of PC gaming, but WASD is more comfortable and makes more sense to me...

Always interesting to hear what works for others though, never really thought about people using different keyboard positions just like people use different mouse grasping techniques.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 289 (Unique: 255)
I've always been ESDF. Who decided that for games, you should move your hand off of the natural keyboard position? That always seemed silly to me. Also silly is using movement fingers to reload etc.

My layout is:
a: Crouch
z: Reload
q: Use
Shift: Walk/run
Caps: Misc functions depending on the game
Tab: Score

My pinky is what activates all those keys so movement is not affected. Why move your fingers away from directional keys?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

try um.. G for sprint and SHIFT for jump. its what i use because pressing G is faster than shift and gets pressed way more than jump.

glad to see my first ESDF user!!!!!

5 GHz Overclock Club
Mechanical Keyboard Club
Intel SSD Owners Club
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 58)
I started ESDF before WASD was a thing tongue.gif During the Duke Nukem 3D/Quake days

Using A to crouch lets you move forward/backward at the same time

Shift - Sprint
R - Reload
V - Melee
G - Grenade
Ctrl - Use

QZXW - any special action

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Guess i should have posted mine, its a bit unique and taken a long time to perfect.

A - Sprint
G - Knife
W - MedPack
Q - Weap Alt / Special
T - Nade
Z - Crouch
Space - Jump (RightClick in Quake)
Middle Wheel Button - Action / Use
MouseWheel Up - Primary
MouseWheel Dn - Secondary
Mouse Side Button - Reload

5 GHz Overclock Club
Mechanical Keyboard Club
Intel SSD Owners Club
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 289 (Unique: 255)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

because you cant play this fast with a spacebar smile.gif
i played it for 6 years and help work on the game

5 GHz Overclock Club
Mechanical Keyboard Club
Intel SSD Owners Club
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 372 (Unique: 264)
I used ESDF ever since the mid 90's, and I don't remember if it was one of the old build or doom engine games that got me into it (shadow caster, duke, heretic, who knows) but I neve rused WASD unless it was impossible to use or configure ESDF for a game (mostly super cheap crappy hardwired Korean games).

ESDF for movement, shift for shift walk (or run), Z for crouch, CTRL for prone or some other commands, A or Q for use,
space=jump, Reload=H.

Used to use R for reload but found it too close to avoid accidental reloading, plus you may be using lean left/right (W/R) also, same issue with "G" vs H for reloads.

Microsoft Sidewinder X4 (old PC)
Logitech G710+ (currently using)
Corsair K70 (shipping)

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in