Simple Mechanical Keyboard for Work - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Simple Mechanical Keyboard for Work

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Not a TKL, but the Logitech K840 is a business oriented mechanical keyboard. Very professional look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 11:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
I would recommend something simple, understated, and not red RGB'd.
I got this one for work, and other than a minor weird issue with the quality control on the spacebar, it's worked great for me.

Plugable Performance TKL Mechanical Keyboard $49.95 (I got the 104-key on sale at $38.20)
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Perf...=plugable&th=1

I replaced a better looking, but terrible feeling Logitech K840 that wasn't backlit and felt so bad I had to pull the keys to verify that it was actually mechanical.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 12:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Among a few, I use one of these little boards. Cheap, but the switches haven't let me down yet, and I've been using one for years. Occasionally a keycap will come loose, but that's about it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ajazz-Geek-...-/121991387736

I like the size mostly, and the detachable usb.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 12:37 PM
Filthy Casual

Rep: 107 (Unique: 92)
I really like my E-Element Z-88. Mine's RGB but I only use the white backlight option and I use it for gaming but it's great to type on too.

Nice, small, has a removable USB cable for packing it up, comes with a cheapo key puller. Does the job.

Red, brown, or blue switch options are available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Holy cow this thread is old...

Xeno Storm V 1.2
(17 items)
CPU
i7 4790K (delidded)
Motherboard
GIGABYTE|GA-Z87X-D3H
GPU
EVGA 1080TI FTW3
RAM
4x4GB GSKILL @ 2133MHz
Hard Drive
WD 1002FAEX
Hard Drive
KINGSTON V300 120GB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Green WD5000AADS
Power Supply
Corsair AX850
Cooling
Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Acer XB270HU Predator
Keyboard
E-Element Z-88 RGB
Mouse
Corsair M65
Audio
Logitech X230 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 12:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
lol, didn't notice the necro either, but like that z88, almost the same layout as this ajazz. I like the F key grouping on that one though, might have to buy another mech, great that's just what I need.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 01:45 PM
Filthy Casual

Rep: 107 (Unique: 92)
For its price though... not too hard on the ole wallet.

Xeno Storm V 1.2
(17 items)
CPU
i7 4790K (delidded)
Motherboard
GIGABYTE|GA-Z87X-D3H
GPU
EVGA 1080TI FTW3
RAM
4x4GB GSKILL @ 2133MHz
Hard Drive
WD 1002FAEX
Hard Drive
KINGSTON V300 120GB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Green WD5000AADS
Power Supply
Corsair AX850
Cooling
Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Acer XB270HU Predator
Keyboard
E-Element Z-88 RGB
Mouse
Corsair M65
Audio
Logitech X230 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Yeah, that's my fault, but it's still 2018?
The Keyboards section isn't very active, so when you're just perusing, it's easy to miss the drop off.

Anyway, I've been on the lookout for the perfect (reasonably priced) office keyboard myself all year and have been on a bit of a tear.
I was happily chugging along with an original Razer BlackWidow in the office since 2012, then the new job. Different desk setup and need as much space as I can get, I no longer have a keyboard tray to tuck my excessively large Razer.
So this year alone I've picked up half a dozen keyboards including two kickstarters. All in an effort to find the ideal office option. I had high hopes for the Logitech K840, but right out of the box I was disappointed with the key feel. I can't believe how bad and mushy it is! That said, I picked it up on a good Amazon Refurbished deal, so maybe it was just some sort of bad/defective batch?
Then there was the Aukey TKL, surprisingly good feel for such a cheap option, but the hideous permanent rainbow LEDs were just too much. I couldn't even stand it at home on my also small desk. Also, that was when I realized that I couldn't survive without my NumPad. I'm a network engineer, so plugging in IP's all day is kind of a thing.
Currently using the Plugable 104 key Mech keyboard and besides the faulty spacebar forcing me to use my right thumb for all spacebar key-presses, it's served me pretty well. The backlight is very useful as our office lights are on a motion timer in the afternoon and I'm still there for hours more.
I've also got the HexGears X-1 and the Keytron Slim wireless Mech Keyboards on order because I'm curious about the new wave of slim profile keys and really want to try out a minimalist wireless keyboard.
A minimal design, aluminum case with low-profile, silent bump keys, a merged NumPad, wireless option, and backlighting would be ideal.
Those won't make it to the office though, more curiosity. One of them'll probably get thrown in with a friends build.

Quote: Originally Posted by porksmuggler View Post
Among a few, I use one of these little boards. Cheap, but the switches haven't let me down yet, and I've been using one for years. Occasionally a keycap will come loose, but that's about it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ajazz-Geek-...-/121991387736

I like the size mostly, and the detachable usb.
Damn you! That board looks perfect for a travel KB. Does it really look that good in white? I guess I'll be buying another keyboard...

Quote: Originally Posted by bajer29 View Post
I really like my E-Element Z-88. Mine's RGB but I only use the white backlight option and I use it for gaming but it's great to type on too.

Nice, small, has a removable USB cable for packing it up, comes with a cheapo key puller. Does the job.

Red, brown, or blue switch options are available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Holy cow this thread is old...
That TKL model seems a bit busy for me on the keycaps. But it's an impressively compact keyboard, so there's going to be trade-offs. Not crazy about rainbows in the office, but as long as you can switch to white or blue, it should be fine.

The 104-key model looks to be a Plugable clone or vise versa. I'm typing on an identical keyboard minus the RGB. Couldn't guess which company has higher factory QC, but they're likely made together and just get different logo screen printing. So either choice is probably fine. Just depends on which logo you like better, or who's charging more at time of purchase. I got my 104-key Plugable for $38 on a deal.

Last edited by ryan92084; 11-02-2018 at 05:04 AM. Reason: merge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in