Optical vs. Mechanical Keyboards. Which do you prefer? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Optical vs. Mechanical Keyboards. Which do you prefer?

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3
Razor Black Widow Chroma Tournament addition. (10 Keyless)

very nice, love the clicky mechanical keys.

Zeros & Ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:05 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 132
Quote: Originally Posted by deepor View Post
There's just nothing wrong with Cherry's mechanical switches. The problems with latency are more about the rest of the hardware of the keyboard. I heard somewhere it takes around 8ms for a controller chip used on a traditional keyboard to go through its debounce logic when you hit a key. That massive delay isn't really necessary. With a different debounce algorithm and different controller this could be done within 1ms. A different controller could also use 1000Hz instead of 125Hz for the USB connection to get that latency to go down as well.

I have an old Cherry G80-3000 keyboard from the 1990s and it's still in use here on another PC. It still works totally fine. Those mechanical switches just don't seem to go bad.

The keyboard being splash proof is also something about how the rest of the keyboard is designed, not really about the switches. I remember I've seen a keyboard somewhere that had channels to make it so a spilled drink would go through the keyboard and drip out of the bottom.

Being able to change the switches is also something about how the rest of the keyboard is designed, not about how the switches work internally.
Of course there is. No matter how well the mainboard performance or how much control one has for denounce they still suffer from the same inherent issues that come with USB. PS2 was, IMO, actually designed for MK's and shoehorning usb only shows the flaws if you use it for FPS gaming.

Perhaps with technical advances with optical, for FPS and other gaming, KB can breath some new life in the PC gaming market.
I personally would never have a need to use both blue and brown switches and the waterproofing is a novelty. But the idea that it's shown as such can at least start the conversation of keyboards in general.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Dankeroni Pepperoni

Rep: 11
I'm very interested in seeing how optical switches develop. It seems that there few options available now - Flaretech switches and proprietary Bloody "LK" switches. I've heard that the linear switches are even smoother than Cherry due to not needing to make contact with a metal leaf.

the feel when you're stuck using a 10 year old office mouse because you can't aim with anything else... FeelsBadMan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:49 AM

well just any old Keys and mouse really. But that cheap $25 Onn was awesome was sleek and Profiled and flatter like. But I don't care doing ones now that's better just one receiver for all of it. You are gonna loose them receivers and you should leave you're Pen drive in too.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 05:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 102
Optical keyboards aren't new because even CompuColor PCs included them: http://oldcomputers.net/compucolor-8001.html

That's vintage 1975-1980, when the Apple ][ was still being manufactured and IBM hadn't yet come out with its PC.

I think one reason optical switches were used was because they weren't bothered as much by dust, and debounce was inherent. On the other hand anybody who says optical keyboards respond faster is talking nonsense because even with a pretty long debounce, 20 ms, or 50 keystrokes a second, a mechanical keyboard isn't exactly going to be sluggish. The original Apple ][ used a debounce delay of 8 ms.

I wouldn't be surprised if some keyboards are sluggish because they use very bloated firmware that was not only compiled from something like C but also runs under a stripped-down version of Linux, instead of controls the hardware directly. For example, I have a digital tire pressure gauge that takes almost 2 seconds to boot up, while a digital gauge from the 1990s is ready instantly. I'm not saying compiled code and Linux cause sluggishness, but I suspect the firmware developers of newer keyboards aren't as talented as the people who had to write keyboard scanning programs that ran in just a few hundred bytes of memory and on 8-bit processors that clocked at just 1 MHz.

Also mechanical keyboards go back a lot further than the 1980s -- the 1964 movie Dr. Strangelove shows a mainframe computer and at least 1 mechanical keyboard there.

Last edited by larymoencurly; 12-20-2018 at 05:51 PM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:25 AM
1689 Federalist

Rep: 239
Quote: Originally Posted by Aventadoor View Post
Mechanicals are overrated for anything but typing, if u ask me.
I notice it straight away in FPS games like CSGO
I think you have to be the first person I've ever seen say that. Are you comparing to rubber domes?

Black Box
(11 items)
CPU
R5 2600X
Motherboard
Asus Strix B450-I
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
RAM
GSkill 16gb 3200c14 Flare
Hard Drive
500gb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G1+ 850
Cooling
Macho Rev B
Case
NZXT H200 Black
Monitor
LG 32GK650F-B 1440p 144hz
Mouse
Sensei Raw
Audio
Sony Core Bookshelves
▲ hide details ▲

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Dankeroni Pepperoni

Rep: 11
Quote: Originally Posted by larymoencurly View Post
even with a pretty long debounce, 20 ms, or 100 keystrokes a second, a mechanical keyboard isn't exactly going to be sluggish.
Seems to be pretty significant, especially if you're a guy trying to gear up for esports you spend a bunch of money to get a low response time gaming monitor, 1000hz mouse, etc, then you're undoing it all by adding 20ms in delay for all keyboard actuated commands.

the feel when you're stuck using a 10 year old office mouse because you can't aim with anything else... FeelsBadMan
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33
Quote: Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I think you have to be the first person I've ever seen say that. Are you comparing to rubber domes?
I've seen more people that share the same view. Some on this forum even.
I got a Razer Lycosa, and I notice it when I play on laptops. It has mostly to do with travel distance, if you ask me.
If I dont remember wrong, Ive seen some say MX Speed with its lower travel distance compared to opticals 1,5mm, are better for gaming. But I dont know.
Like I said, I dislike mechanical for precision movements.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 06:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 102
I wrongly said 20 ms gave 100 keystrokes/second maximum. That should have been 50/sec, but that's still like typiing at 500 words/minute, and more likely any debounce will be 10 ms. Also it seems that at least some optical keyboards don't have a single LED and detector per key but maybe just 8 LEDs, meaning they're scanned like other keyboards. Another type of key switch is magnetic, using Hall Effect sensors, and they supposedly have little or no debounce delay. Still, I don't think the delay matters.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 10:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4
I have a Gen2 K70, Should I swap my stock reds out for some cherry speeds or just buy a different keyboard if so what board I am getting old and slow I need them nanoseconds … I was thinking about the low profile K70 speed or maybe the G513

CPU-Z

Last edited by HyperC; 12-26-2018 at 01:01 AM.

Tags
Keyboard , mechanical keyboard , opinions , optical , questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in