Steelseries Apex M750? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Steelseries Apex M750?

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Steelseries Apex M750?

Has anyone around here run one of these? Are they any good? I can't seem to find any talk about them here. I currently have a Ducky Shine 5 with MX Browns but was thinking of adding the M750 to have a linear key for serious gaming. I'm also not doing as much regular typing now so I don't necessarily need the tactile bump that the browns have. I wouldn't be dumping the Ducky just swapping as I feel like or it might even get moved to a new build or something. I was thinking of going with Steelseries because I already have one of their mice and Arctis headphones so it would be nice not to have controller software from yet another company running. I already have Saitek/Logitech flight controller software running as well and might have Razer's software running soon due to planning to get an Orbweaver possibly. Although if I did that maybe I don't really need another keyboard lol.

The Devil's Canyon
(17 items)
CPU
Intel 4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Formula
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC Black
RAM
GSkill DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
WD2002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair HX850
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Cooler Master HAF-X
Operating System
Win10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5 w/browns
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Mouse
SteelSeries QCK Limited
Other
Saitek X52
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
If you do serious gaming, you shouldn't even be looking at non TKL like the M750 for starters.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Leopardi View Post
If you do serious gaming, you shouldn't even be looking at non TKL like the M750 for starters.
Ooops, maybe I used the wrong term. I just meant a keyboard/key type more focused on gaming than general typing etc. type use. I guess the same question about if the M750 is any good could still apply though since they have a TKL version of it. I actually do have one old game I use that actually does use the numpad for some things, but it doesn't heavily use the keyboard so I could always use the Ducky for it, or just remap stuff (MS Flightsim X).

The Devil's Canyon
(17 items)
CPU
Intel 4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Formula
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC Black
RAM
GSkill DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
WD2002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair HX850
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Cooler Master HAF-X
Operating System
Win10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5 w/browns
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Mouse
SteelSeries QCK Limited
Other
Saitek X52
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Anyone have any input on the M750 TKL version? I've read some mixed reviews on both versions about the keys being a little loose or noisier because of it. I was eyeing the Steelseries since I already have a couple of their things and it would match in well since I wouldn't have to install yet another control software. If it's not worth it then maybe I'll save a bit and get the Ducky One 2 TKL. The M750 TKL is on a one day sale on Amazon though so I'm REALLY tempted by it right now. If I didn't mention already I currently have a Ducky Shine 5 full size.

The Devil's Canyon
(17 items)
CPU
Intel 4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Formula
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC Black
RAM
GSkill DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
WD2002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair HX850
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Cooler Master HAF-X
Operating System
Win10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5 w/browns
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Mouse
SteelSeries QCK Limited
Other
Saitek X52
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hmmm, well unless I decide I really want Steelseries Engine integration I'm probably going with a Ducky One 2 TKL. I found a local Best Buy that had a M750 TKL on display today. The design etc itself is fine but I see what reviewers are talking about. It's ridiculously noisy at least compared to a Corsair with actual Cherry Red that was down the aisle from it. Though as I sit here typing on my Ducky Shine 5 with browns I realized it might not be any noisier so we'll see.

The Devil's Canyon
(17 items)
CPU
Intel 4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Formula
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC Black
RAM
GSkill DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
WD2002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair HX850
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Cooler Master HAF-X
Operating System
Win10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5 w/browns
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Mouse
SteelSeries QCK Limited
Other
Saitek X52
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
Quote: Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
Hmmm, well unless I decide I really want Steelseries Engine integration I'm probably going with a Ducky One 2 TKL. I found a local Best Buy that had a M750 TKL on display today. The design etc itself is fine but I see what reviewers are talking about. It's ridiculously noisy at least compared to a Corsair with actual Cherry Red that was down the aisle from it. Though as I sit here typing on my Ducky Shine 5 with browns I realized it might not be any noisier so we'll see.
That has to be a new record if its more noisy than a Corsair. Did you test how the stabs are, shift key/spacebar wobble and rattle? I don't think apart from Coolermaster boards there are any decent stabs in these traditional gamer brands.

A Leopold TKL would naturally be the best, but they aren't available in Nordics. I'm probably going to get a Ducky One 2 TKL with this "Asus ROG wrist rest" myself. At least something good comes from these brands
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asus-rog-gaming-wrist-rest-1000px-v1-0002.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	267074  

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I recently got the M750, full version as the numberpad is a must for me, after my wife grew highly intolerant of the clicky noise (that I rather enjoyed, sigh...) from my Blackwidow Chroma. Key activation is much easier than the Blackwidow. I find that if I rest my hand without thinking about it I'll depress keys. The sound is a lot more... hollow? than that of the Blackwidow. The overall typing experience doesn't really seem as enjoyable as the Blackwidow, IMO, but it's still nice and my wife does't mind the switches. I do enjoy the more pastel-style colors that Prism works with as opposed to the Synapse colors, as well as the more gentle transitions.

Silence in the Snow
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 1600X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
RTX 2080Ti Black Edition
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws V 16 GB @3466
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic SnowSilent
Cooling
EK Coolstream PE 360
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Predator XB271HU
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Leopardi View Post
That has to be a new record if its more noisy than a Corsair. Did you test how the stabs are, shift key/spacebar wobble and rattle? I don't think apart from Coolermaster boards there are any decent stabs in these traditional gamer brands.

A Leopold TKL would naturally be the best, but they aren't available in Nordics. I'm probably going to get a Ducky One 2 TKL with this "Asus ROG wrist rest" myself. At least something good comes from these brands
I didn't, it was actually set up as a keyboard attached to a display system and just wasn't in a good place to be able to test like that. I wouldn't really know what to look for anyway. I've only owned two mechanical keyboards since I got my first one like 6 years ago. So I don't have much experience with the fine details like that.

The Devil's Canyon
(17 items)
CPU
Intel 4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Formula
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC Black
RAM
GSkill DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
WD2002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair HX850
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Cooler Master HAF-X
Operating System
Win10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5 w/browns
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Mouse
SteelSeries QCK Limited
Other
Saitek X52
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by m4fox90 View Post
I recently got the M750, full version as the numberpad is a must for me, after my wife grew highly intolerant of the clicky noise (that I rather enjoyed, sigh...) from my Blackwidow Chroma. Key activation is much easier than the Blackwidow. I find that if I rest my hand without thinking about it I'll depress keys. The sound is a lot more... hollow? than that of the Blackwidow. The overall typing experience doesn't really seem as enjoyable as the Blackwidow, IMO, but it's still nice and my wife does't mind the switches. I do enjoy the more pastel-style colors that Prism works with as opposed to the Synapse colors, as well as the more gentle transitions.
Yeah I would keep the full size Shine 5 with browns that I have for serious typing/etc. I recently moved my computer on top of my desk so swapping the keyboard is really quick/easy now vs crawling under a desk etc. Yeah maybe that hollow sound is what I was hearing and I perceived it as louder. I have a Rival 700 mouse and like the color transitions on it so I know what you're talking about and I figured having Engine controlling it would be nice. I might go ahead and buy one and I can always return it if it doesn't end up working out once I set it up.

The Devil's Canyon
(17 items)
CPU
Intel 4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Formula
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC Black
RAM
GSkill DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
WD2002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair HX850
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Cooler Master HAF-X
Operating System
Win10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5 w/browns
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Mouse
SteelSeries QCK Limited
Other
Saitek X52
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well, I noticed yesterday that Amazon had the M750 TKL on sale for 25% off. So umm, it arrived this morning along with the Coolermaster TKL sized wrist wrest. I didn't get it plugged in yet, but did test it out for noise side by side with my Shine 5 with browns at lunch time. In person at home it's not really any louder than the Ducky it's just a different tone. More "hollow" as someone else pointed out. The Shine 2 TKL with the switches I'd want was still on backorder, and with the sale price I decided to just go for it with the M750. I'm not getting rid of the Ducky, just running something else for a bit. Especially if I end up need to do a lot of typing for something the Ducky would get connected back up since I think the browns will still be better for typing on.

The Devil's Canyon
(17 items)
CPU
Intel 4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Formula
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC Black
RAM
GSkill DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
WD2002FAEX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair HX850
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Cooler Master HAF-X
Operating System
Win10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5 w/browns
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Mouse
SteelSeries QCK Limited
Other
Saitek X52
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in