Which mechanical keyboard should I buy? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Which mechanical keyboard should I buy?

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
Windows Lobbyist

Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Which mechanical keyboard should I buy?

Hi!

I'm looking for my first mechanical keyboard. The things I gathered that I want in it:
- Cherry MX Brown
- 75% keyboard
- PBT keycaps
- Functions keys row with multimedia controls
- MAC support (extra keycaps for it)
- ANSI

I found the following two, which one is better? Are they any good?

https://candykeys.com/product/vortex-race-3-ansi

https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/vort...-mx-brown_927/

Can you suggest something similar? Please keep in mind that I'm from Europe and I can only order from European sites. Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 56)
Not sure if they have exactly what you want but i have had a ducky brand one for near 8 years now, it has never given me any issues. ( and i spend probably too much time on the computer) https://www.overclockers.co.uk/brands/ducky

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 AM
mfw

Rep: 362 (Unique: 191)
Are you absolutely sure you want browns? I ask because I thought I wanted them after reading about switches when I was buying my first mech, and I ended up hating the experience.

If you've already tried them and liked it, ignore my post.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:38 AM
Meep

Rep: 293 (Unique: 218)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Are you absolutely sure you want browns? I ask because I thought I wanted them after reading about switches when I was buying my first mech, and I ended up hating the experience.

If you've already tried them and liked it, ignore my post.
I second this. my first mech was an MX brown board as well, though it was okay at first, until I tried other switches.

Aside from light linear switches, browns are probably the ones I dislike most now, probably becuase they're not really tactile and leave something to be desired in term of smoothness(although more recent cherry switches are allegedly a bit smoother due to some re-tooling)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I think a Vortex Race 3 (and by extension the Tab 75 for same reason outlined below) is a pretty esoteric choice for a first time mechanical keyboard purchase.

It is a good (actually great) board with impressive build quality and functionality but it certainly is a bit of a risk in usability.
Main reason for me saying this is that it comes with DSA profile keycaps which feel *very* different to anything you may have tried before.

They are certainly a love or hate affair since all the keys are symmetrical, low profile and the same height across all rows. I can't type or game properly on them at all personally.

I think a safer bet is just to try in this order: Leopold, Ducky, Varmilo or Filco keyboard.
Leopold is simply the best "out of the box" experience you can get in all aspects. I put Filco at the end of the list only because their stock keycaps are of a thin ABS and prone to shine, that aside they are great boards and built like tanks.

A wildcard recommendation seeing as you mention you enjoy tactile switches is the Topre Realforce, the switches are beautifully tactile and quiet.
They are expensive and not actually truly mechanical though, they are high quality rubber dome switches with springs and a electro-capacitive sensor.
If not for FPS gaming where I need to spam keys very quickly I would use my Topre board 100% of the time.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Keep in mind a keyboard or mouse is a very personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer concerning best advice. They are the two most important items for interacting with your computer and what works for one person may not work for someone else. I would do just what you did a narrow down the options to what you believe you want from it. Then, you are just going to have to try a few in person and find out for yourself.

One thing I can tell you is there is a vast difference between a true typist and a non typist interacting with their keyboard. I simply can't believe the number of people I see that have never truly learned how to type and it makes a world of difference, unless you only intend to game and nothing else. This is why I personally choose either Cherry MX Brown or Blue switches. I can type about 90+ words/minute and never look at my keyboard once for a keystroke.

Best of luck, post back what you decide when you do.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 476 (Unique: 422)
Quote: Originally Posted by HiTekJeff View Post
Keep in mind a keyboard or mouse is a very personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer concerning best advice. They are the two most important items for interacting with your computer and what works for one person may not work for someone else. I would do just what you did a narrow down the options to what you believe you want from it. Then, you are just going to have to try a few in person and find out for yourself.

One thing I can tell you is there is a vast difference between a true typist and a non typist interacting with their keyboard. I simply can't believe the number of people I see that have never truly learned how to type and it makes a world of difference, unless you only intend to game and nothing else. This is why I personally choose either Cherry MX Brown or Blue switches. I can type about 90+ words/minute and never look at my keyboard once for a keystroke.

Best of luck, post back what you decide when you do.
I agree with this. I mostly use my computer for work, and will game maybe 15-20% of the time. I used to use blue switches, but they were extremely noisy, especially late at night. Ended up switching to the Brown switches, which I've used ever since, and have no complaints over. (I tend to have more complaints in regards to the spacing between keys and the design of the keyboard and functions, rather than the actual switches themselves).

When I use a laptop, although my experience is limited, I really enjoy scissor switches. Acer's scissor switches are really good, and a joy to both type and game on.

CPU
i7 4930K
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
GPU
Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti SLI
RAM
16GB G. Skill Ripjaws Z
Hard Drive
2x 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD RAID 1
Hard Drive
2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 RAID 1
Optical Drive
Samsung Burner w/ Lightscribe
Power Supply
Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold
Cooling
Custom Watercooling
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922 w/ Dust Filters
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Monitor
55" 4K Samsung Curved TV
Keyboard
Roccat Sova Mechanical
Mouse
Roccat Kone XTD
Audio
Glow Amp One > HD650
Audio
Yamaha Receiver + 5.1
Other
Xbox One Wireless Controller
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx View Post
(I tend to have more complaints in regards to the spacing between keys and the design of the keyboard and functions, rather than the actual switches themselves).
Just curious if you have ever tried a Das keyboard Pro? Reason I ask is that I had heard good things about them but ended up sending mine back because I found it uncomfortable to type on due to the key spacing as you mention. Also, the keys seem a little too small and I would constantly have to adjust my hand span. For someone with smaller hands for a petite lady, it may be just fine, but I couldn't believe it got such good reviews and I am one of a few with those issues.

Actually, I wanted to mention that I ended up with the Corsair K95 with Brown switches. Like you I don't game much or often, but I found the RGB to be useful in keyboard shortcuts with various programs like Photoshop. I have solid colors and they highlight individual keys with other colors so I can remember and use them quicker when in the program. Then just go back to my standard profile or turn it off completely.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 476 (Unique: 422)
Quote: Originally Posted by HiTekJeff View Post
Just curious if you have ever tried a Das keyboard Pro? Reason I ask is that I had heard good things about them but ended up sending mine back because I found it uncomfortable to type on due to the key spacing as you mention. Also, the keys seem a little too small and I would constantly have to adjust my hand span. For someone with smaller hands for a petite lady, it may be just fine, but I couldn't believe it got such good reviews and I am one of a few with those issues.

Actually, I wanted to mention that I ended up with the Corsair K95 with Brown switches. Like you I don't game much or often, but I found the RGB to be useful in keyboard shortcuts with various programs like Photoshop. I have solid colors and they highlight individual keys with other colors so I can remember and use them quicker when in the program. Then just go back to my standard profile or turn it off completely.
I cannot say that I have used a DAS keyboard. But as you alluded to in your second paragraph, feel of the keyboard really comes down to key switch brand and color, as well as the overall design of the keyboard. I agree, the per-key RGB really makes a difference when it comes to keyboard shortcuts. My keyboard (Roccat Ryos MK FX) also has per-key illumination, and I have mine highlighting WASD, as well as 1-5, since although I may not game, that is one of the main purposes of the computer, as well as the fact that most of my work involves word processing, I don't typically need any sort of macro keys, apart from the basics.

Steam/Origin ID: xxicrimsonixx
CPU
i7 4930K
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
GPU
Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti SLI
RAM
16GB G. Skill Ripjaws Z
Hard Drive
2x 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD RAID 1
Hard Drive
2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 RAID 1
Optical Drive
Samsung Burner w/ Lightscribe
Power Supply
Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold
Cooling
Custom Watercooling
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922 w/ Dust Filters
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Monitor
55" 4K Samsung Curved TV
Keyboard
Roccat Sova Mechanical
Mouse
Roccat Kone XTD
Audio
Glow Amp One > HD650
Audio
Yamaha Receiver + 5.1
Other
Xbox One Wireless Controller
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in