Goodbye Strafe - Hello SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Goodbye Strafe - Hello SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 26)
Goodbye Strafe - Hello SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL

Having despaired of ever getting my Corsair Strafe working properly, it was time to send it to the keyboard boneyard. RIP. So I looked around at reviews, thought about my use priorities, and made a decision.

I now have residing on my PC space a SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL with Red switches. So far I am very happy with it. Much more compact of course, and I like the feel of the switches. Not terribly loud either, which I prefer. The software is quite intuitive and looks to do all the functions I want / need.

Colors look great - my photo is very poor and does not do it justice. You might notice that all the "letter" keys and the "arrow" keys are different than the standard ones. I picked up a set of HyperX - Double Shot PBT Keycaps while I was at it. I wanted to give it a bit different look and so I left the rest of the keys as original.

I like the effect, makes it a bit different without going too far I think. I have not played around much with the setup much other than that, but I already appreciate the scroll wheel. Oh and you cannot tell from the photo my SteelSeries mouse is on the right side of the keyboard to give a bit of scale - really is a nice change in going to this.

The build quality seems excellent, there is a nice heft to it for such a small keyboard, and I do like the mouse and keyboard being in the same "ecosystem" - one less piece of software running now. I'll update my impressions once I have used this baby for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steelseries Keyboard and Mouse resized.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	290334  

Ryze Up!
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
Asus Crossfire VI Hero
GPU
ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3600C16D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe MZ-V6E500BW
Hard Drive
HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W
Cooling
Corsair H110i GT with 2 x Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B14-PS
Case
Phanteks Eclipse P400S PH-EC416PSTG
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
ASUS VE278
Keyboard
SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL with custom keys
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 310
Mousepad
SteelSeries QCK HEAVY
Audio
Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
Other
Noiseblocker NB-eLoop Series B12-PS 120mm PWM Bionic Loop Rotor Fan, 1500rpm, 21 dBA
Other
Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B14-PS 140mm 4Pin PWM Fan, 300-1200RPM, 83.92CFM, 24.28dBA x 2
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in