Plastidipped my Steelseries WoW Mouse - Results - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Plastidipped my Steelseries WoW Mouse - Results

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Methos07 is an unknown quantity at this point Methos07 is an unknown quantity at this point

So, if you are unaware, the stock finish on the original World of Warcraft mouse is pretty terrible. Many have complained that it wears off from normal use, but I made the mistake of cleaning my mouse with alcohol once and the finish was absolutely wrecked.

I have previously used Plastidip on my 350z to black out the emblems and the front of the bumper, so it is a very durable finish.

Here's an example:

I decided to do it to my mouse as well, here's the results.

IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0316.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg

The cool part about Plastidip is that it isn't really "paint". It's just a coating that adheres to pretty much anything and if you want to remove it, you can just peel it off. It doesn't come off easily though, so its durable yet removable if you want it to be. Pretty much why I used it on my car, peels right off the paint.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:25 AM
New to Overclock.net
Nicnivian is an unknown quantity at this point Nicnivian is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome! Looks better then the original.

The finish looks quite... textured. How does it feel?

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Retired Staff
pjBSOD will become famous soon enough pjBSOD will become famous soon enough pjBSOD will become famous soon enough pjBSOD will become famous soon enough pjBSOD will become famous soon enough pjBSOD will become famous soon enough pjBSOD will become famous soon enough

Really great job, I like it. Can you link me to the stuff? I've tried putting carbon vinyl film on my Das to cover the gloss, but it didn't come out right. This looks like it would work much better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Methos07 is an unknown quantity at this point Methos07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnivian View Post

Awesome! Looks better then the original.
The finish looks quite... textured. How does it feel?

I like the textured feel to it personally, gives it more grip. And no smudges or prints!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

Really great job, I like it. Can you link me to the stuff? I've tried putting carbon vinyl film on my Das to cover the gloss, but it didn't come out right. This looks like it would work much better.

This is what I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Dip-Intl-11203-Plasti-Dip/dp/B000LNOOEO/ref=pd_cp_hi_1/190-7674539-3004759

It's really easy to use, barely takes any prep time and dries in a few minutes.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 AM
New to Overclock.net
end0rphine Level 1

How did you avoid spraying the small crevices?

Quote:
The human nose can't even touch beyond 60dB, what would you need 50000 FPS for?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by end0rphine View Post

How did you avoid spraying the small crevices?

Once you remove the screws from the bottom the whole top of the mouse comes out. Then I took out the part that held the scroll wheel and it was just the top. After that you can individually remove each section. I sprayed them all separately.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:50 AM
New to Overclock.net
ryandigweed Level 1

Good job, does it prevent the paint from getting scratch?.. also would this come of itself by getting scratched?.

Thanks for providing a link smile.gif

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandigweed View Post

Good job, does it prevent the paint from getting scratch?.. also would this come of itself by getting scratched?.
Thanks for providing a link smile.gif

It protects anything underneath the coat quite well. I used it on my door handles as well on my car and it has been resilient to pretty much anything. If I intentionally went at it though I could get it to come off.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:55 AM
New to Overclock.net
Water Cooled Level 1

Very clean looking, it could have ended out looking worse.

Who needs real women when you have a forum full of dudes with attractive chicks as avatars?
I heart.gif my LD PC-V8.
laugher.gif
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:57 AM
New to Overclock.net
WarningHPB Level 1

seen loads of images and of this stuff on cars and rims and stuff and if it ever gets like damaged you can literally peel the plasti dip off, i've been planning to mod my Deathadder cause i hate the glossy sides with a can of this stuff not got around to doing it yet tho, should give a nice rubbery feel after tho

for an idea on what i mean by peeling this stuff off heres a vid i grabbed of youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz6RK1NSnAs&feature=related

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in