Overclock.net banner

"Tape-Trick" for lower liftoff-distance(LOD) with optical mice

142K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  coconutwater 
#1 ·
To reduce the LOD in the first place, you have to decrease the illuminated spot on the surface, rather than weakening the light itself(with more or less transparent tape).

So take non-transparent!!! tape, and stick it over the hole of the bottom of the mouse, until it reaches the small lens:

done!

G400: Abyssus: Alcor:
EC1 evo w/o custom lens:

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skar View Post

Should also reduce the maximum speed, did you try that?
In my experience it doesn't significantly decrease the max-speed, if at all when u leave the small lens area completly free.
It doesn't affect the area of light the mouse tracks when sitting down anyway, just the area infront of where the sensor takes pictures of, which then would wander right under the sensor while lifting the mouse off.
But that gets cut of with the tape:

#5 ·
Hi,

I have a Gigabyte GM-M6880 optical mouse. I have tried to put scotch on the entire hole but it reduced tracking completly. Then i put like you showed in the picture but depending how much of the hole i covered it either did nothing or it reduced tracking completly. Any suggestions?

Also why is non transparent tape essential? I've seen the same tutorial on youtube but many of them used clear tape.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuy00 View Post

Why don't(doesn't?) all mouse manufacturers use this on stock mice? As far as I know only A4tech do this with V-track mice..
V-Track doesn't have any "tape fix" or "light blocking mechanism" to achieve that effect. The light is being trown towards the ground completely vertical thus whenever you lift your mouse, if it's not exactly 90º from the surface, it will stop tracking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit View Post

Oh Okay. it's actually an Avago sensor. Yeah, it will work, but pretty difficult to position placement.
We're talking about a milimeter or sub-milimeter precision to get the desired effect. Also, it depends on the lens, if the light is being twisted around you might even want to put the tape "fix" between the light stream and the sensor itself.

Dodgy.

#13 ·
I know that, but they're the only company that's actively trying to lower LOD on optical.. If only they shipped with prediction free sensors..

They also had that button that shut off the light when you lifted the mouse..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.