Swapping microswitches for "dummies" - Page 10 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Swapping microswitches for "dummies"

post #91 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 68 (Unique: 52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post

Yea you don't want to use that small one.

It doesn't suck as good.. hahahahahahaha

You don't have to get the official solderpult, but get a clone that's at least the same SIZE..

The larger chamber and larger plunger offers more suction power.. It's all about the suction..

Fair enough. Sometimes it doesn't suck hard enough for my liking, if I'm honest ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalez07 View Post

wouldnt a desoldering braid be the best? ive tried those cheap desoldering pumps and I have ruined many mice, lol. need to work on my desoldering skills , i find that its actually harder to remove switches then to actually solder them on..

How did you manage to ruin them with the pump? I'm genuinely interested. Did you apply too much heat and suck off the contact ring? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 01:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 11)
Is 20cm length and 2cm diameter a decent enough size for a pump?

BTW, here's a nice video on desoldering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z38WsZFmq8E
He also mentions OP's method at the end, heating all joints at once, by using a dedicated liquid (chip quick).
post #93 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 03:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by early View Post

Is 20cm length and 2cm diameter a decent enough size for a pump?

BTW, here's a nice video on desoldering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z38WsZFmq8E
He also mentions OP's method at the end, heating all joints at once, by using a dedicated liquid (chip quick).

This guy is not using the solder sucker properly..

You don't have to REMOVE the iron, before you engage the pump..

What you do is, You heat, and bring up the pump right up to the soldering tip, You can touch the pump tip to the soldering tip for the duration of the pump action,

The reason is, you're only touching it for a slight second, and the tip of the soldering pump will not melt in that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 03:32 PM
lololol

Rep: 365 (Unique: 152)
wick usually works for me

the grounded pin takes some extra effort though, especially since products have lead-free solder

too busy to check forums as regularly
pm me if i forget to respond
post #95 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 06:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsxcv View Post

wick usually works for me

the grounded pin takes some extra effort though, especially since products have lead-free solder

Lead Free

dying-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862500
post #96 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 91)
dunno if i have mentioned this here before, but if you order new switches anyway, i would just cut (carefully to not harm the board underneath) the old switches to pieces, and desolder only the remaining pins.

And i wanna see how you desolder the switches of a mouse like the kinzu v1(where the pin-holes are so tiny, that the switch is already fixated without any solder), by using a desoldering pump no matter the size(BTW i also have the big one, and it nicely sucked up the traces aswell, when i was at the beginning of my soldering career tongue.gif).

post #97 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuNDa View Post

dunno if i have mentioned this here before, but if you order new switches anyway, i would just cut (carefully to not harm the board underneath) the old switches to pieces, and desolder only the remaining pins.

And i wanna see how you desolder the switches of a mouse like the kinzu v1(where the pin-holes are so tiny, that the switch is already fixated without any solder), by using a desoldering pump no matter the size(BTW i also have the big one, and it nicely sucked up the traces aswell, when i was at the beginning of my soldering career tongue.gif).

If you're sucking up the traces.. it's either Too hot, or indeed perhaps the PCB quality is incredibly low, (often with mice)..

In these cases you gotta be FAST...
post #98 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 91)
that's the problem - you have to be pro to use the desolder pump.
I'd bet 100€ that ppl who start desoldering just for changing some switches, would more likely break out in tears, than to successfully desolder a switch with this method. biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in