Why do e-sports gamers hate braided cables on mice? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Why do e-sports gamers hate braided cables on mice?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:00 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
MONVMENTVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austria
Posts: 346
Rep: 35 (Unique: 20)
They are not very flexible, not really durable, have more friction and are also thicker than normal cables most of the time. So it's really obvious why they suck.

One company starts to use them and states something like "braided cable for more flexibility and durability" and everybody believes that crap and almost every other company jumps on that bandwagon, so it's a given that every gaming mouse *needs* a braided cable. As Skylit said people really list non-braded cables as a big con nowadays and I don't know if I should start laughing or crying if I come across one of these reviews. It would help a lot if people would listen less to the marketing machinery and make more use of their brains and intuition.
MONVMENTVM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Skar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 828
Rep: 64 (Unique: 41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM View Post

It would help a lot if people would listen less to the marketing machinery and make more use of their brains and intuition.

Brain/Intuition: It looks more valueable! Looks way more cool! Want it.
Skar is offline  
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
headcase9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 244
Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Skar, a large amount of what people on this forum do is to maximize the appeal of the way things look. And like you said, braided cables do look better. If I didn't game I would probably like a braided mouse cable. My keyboard has one (but obviously it doesn't move so it's a non-issue). Like Luxio hinted at, the more seriously you take gaming (or whatever you do that requires precision mouse work) the more this would bother you.

To each his own!
headcase9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff
 
Riou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: duffle bag
Posts: 13,796
Rep: 817 (Unique: 626)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skar View Post

Skylit is correct.
However, I find it very sad that a braided cable gets preference over 2 omron and teflon mousefeet for some products.
As far as I can judge the cost difference should be around the same. Meaning even if the calculation was very tough, the braided cable cost up compared to a PVC cable would have been enough to cover 2 omron for left/right and real teflon mousefeet. Oh wait, its UPE Teflon...rolleyes.gif

Lol SS Kana.

Riou is offline  
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
kaingosu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 414
Rep: 50 (Unique: 20)
Maybe Steelseries aren't the ones that started this, but they certainly are taking it to the next level biggrin.gif ("you will never see lights in our mice ... blah blah blah ... only quality products").
kaingosu is offline  
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 PM
SpaceStationGaming
 
dmasteR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,425
Rep: 460 (Unique: 351)
I mainly can't stand the fact that they fray, and the fact that there's much more resistance.
dmasteR is offline  
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Gone
 
Skylit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,730
Rep: 541 (Unique: 328)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaingosu View Post

Maybe Steelseries aren't the ones that started this, but they certainly are taking it to the next level biggrin.gif ("you will never see lights in our mice ... blah blah blah ... only quality products").

The person who wrote that article is no longer with the company.

Skylit is offline  
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
kaingosu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 414
Rep: 50 (Unique: 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit View Post

The person who wrote that article is no longer with the company.

I really don't care about that statement, it's just funny to remember. Of course you can change your point of view after so many years. However, put the lights in there but don't forget the word "quality" atleast.
kaingosu is offline  
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Engineer of Malcontent
 
Dimaggio1103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Mohave
Posts: 5,765
Rep: 256 (Unique: 200)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_nub View Post

If you move the mouse, and you feel any kind of resistance from the cable what-so-ever, you'll be put off even more-so than the initial resistance caused you to miss by. Braided cables don't bend and move so easily, so you'll usually feel some pullback at some point. If you're a high sens player, any pull will probably totally ruin your aim. If you're a low sensitivity player, you'll probably be able to deal with it aim wise, but you'll be dealing with it a lot. Not everyone is bothered by it, but those who are will tape their mice to their monitor, desk, or get a bungee to try and stop this. Many players of a high level are affected by this, but general users don't even think about it as their mouse skills wont be good enough for trivial things to matter. smile.gif

I couldn't agree more. I play black ops I am always the best on there, well almost always anyway. But since I upgraded to a higher DPI mouse I hate it because of the braided cable. I feel that slight tug when I am aiming and it throws me off. The only reason I still got it is because switching DPI in game is a must.

Ryzen 1700 3.8Ghz
32GB TridentZ Royals (Samsung B-die 3200 cas16)
EVGA 1070ti 200+Core / 300+Mem
Samsung 980 Pro NVME 500GB
EVGA 850w Gold
NZXT H500
DeepCool Castle 240


Dimaggio1103 is offline  
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:30 PM
SpaceStationGaming
 
dmasteR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,425
Rep: 460 (Unique: 351)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

I couldn't agree more. I play black ops I am always the best on there, well almost always anyway. But since I upgraded to a higher DPI mouse I hate it because of the braided cable. I feel that slight tug when I am aiming and it throws me off. The only reason I still got it is because switching DPI in game is a must.

I'm curious as to why it's a must? Make all your sensitivity in game so it's 1:1 as that seems to be the main issue (Mainly BF3 it seems as the sensitivity is changed between vehicles and infantry). I hear it's a must all the time but no one can give me a answer. :3

Having one sensitivity for everything will improve your muscle memory, and you'll also improve as a player in FPS/RTS.
dmasteR is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off