Genius Maurus Analysis - Ambidextrous A3090 Claw/Fingertip grip - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Genius Maurus Analysis - Ambidextrous A3090 Claw/Fingertip grip

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
I recently got a Genius Maurus, it's a not very known probably avago 3090 mouse, small shaped, looks promising.
http://www.geniusnet.com/wSite/ct?xItem=51773&ctNode=3605&mp=1
After a little testing I give you my little review (the photos are terrible, blame my stupidphone).

Physical description:
- The mouse is small, resembles something between the orochi and the abyssus. The shape is absolutely symmetric.
- Advertised as a feature, the mouse has 20g of metal weights built-in (non removable). It is actually heavier than the Spawn.
- Has glossy top and rubbery sides and back. The rubber grip is very similar to the one used by TTesports, less sticky than razer.
- Its suitable for clawgrip and for fingertip grip as well.

IMG_20121011_210926.jpg
G500 - Maurus - Spawn
IMG_20121011_210939.jpg
IMG_20121011_211123.jpg
Fingertip
IMG_20121011_211128.jpg
Claw

Buttons and clicking
- Theres a total of 5 buttons (main, wheel, menu, back, fwd).
- The side buttons are placed one at each side, they are very well placed (if you don't need them they wont bother, if you do they are still easy to press).
- The main buttons are advertised as omroms and they feel like that.
- The wheel is very thin, not too stiff to press or rotate and is like halfway out so its very easy to operate. Has very consistent steps and a nice click.
They advertise the wheel as patented magic roller, it must enable the wheel to be more on the outside.
- No bottom switches for cpi or profiles.

Skates and Gliding
- The bottom has 2 triangular front skates and 1 long curve skate at the back. Black compund.
- The skates have pointy edges (why mad.gif) so they need a little "burn in" or they feel weird on cloth.
- The friction is a little higher due to the increased weight, but also it gets more momentum so it still glides nicely.
- The skates are thicker than the razer's white ones, but still not as thick as the ones on the cm spawn.

IMG_20121011_210953.jpg

Sensor performance
- Red visible lightsource, probably Avago 3090
- The sensor is axially placed (the lightsource is behind the sensor, not sidewise like the spawn) but for some derpy reason the whole sensor is not exactly in the axis of simmetry (middle) of the mouse but 3mm to the right.
- Prediction is off (see paint-test)
- Achieves more than 3.5 m/s on the Puretrack Stealth on 450 and 3500 cpi (see enotus screenshots).
Note: My arm hardly achieves more than 4 m/s.
Note2: Enotus can't set 3500cpi or 450 cpi so I used the closest I could set (3600 and 400) so the actual maxspeed can be a little different.
- LOD on black puretrack stealth: 3cd tracks, 4cd doesn't track (high but expect-able in dark mats).
- Tested on white, blue, red and black surfaces without issues.

IMG_20121011_211013.jpg

Maurus_450cpi_1000hz.png

Maurus_3500cpi_1000hz.png

Maurus_snapping_test.png

Software and stuff
- The cpi (450-900-1800-3500) is only switcheable by the driver software
- The polling rate (250, 500 or 1000hz) also is only switcheable by software
- Adjusts lights, macros, buttons (can disable sidebutton actions obviously), 3 onboard profiles and standard gimmicks .
- There's no firmware updates to the date.

Comments:
This mouse has arround the same retail price as the Spawn and the Abyssus here, still is superior to the abyssus in my opinion. Compared to the Spawn this mouse has not much more to offer, except that is ambidextrous.
I normally don't care about sideskirts but these ones are very useful for the ring and little finger when clawgripping.
The increased weight is non convenient for a small mouse like this one, I would like them removed but I don't want to disassemble it (yet).
The sensor performance is pretty standard for the 3090, high lod, high maxspeed, superb tracking, no acceleration.

I'll post the weight as soon as I can get hold of a scale. I hope I can get better photos.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 9)
Thanks for the review.

Where did you but it?

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
I got it from a local retailer here in Chile.

I don't know where are you but this is like 4 dollars cheaper than what I paid
http://www.amazon.com/Genius-GX-Gaming-Professional-GX-GAMING-MAURUS/dp/B007ZLHDDE
A little bit more expensive on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400297793086

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 75)
have you got weighed the mouse in the meantime? wink.gif

I asked the service from Genius about the sensor. They confirmed the A3090.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
I can get one of these pretty cheap, might pick one up just to try the shape.

I have a Zowie FK on the way too, so I might finally get a good comparison between shape/styles.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 06:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 18)
just noticed this brand from maximumpc's daily newegg deals, and their mice look pretty nice

took a look through their line-up and some of their products I think they just re-badge from another OEM. The headset in particular stands out to me as the same as an Azio GH808 (which I don't think Azio makes themselve either)

I love the look of their GX headset and K7 keyboard looks
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
Just disassembled it. Weight can be removed with a screwdriver, but unfortunately it's a single one, and removing the whole 20g bar makes it very light. Feels less precise initially, but this weight is just right for me overall. I guess it's about 75g-80g without.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 75)
wonderful news, thank you.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hope my weight perception is not completely off. Let's wait for the TS to weigh it.

And wanted to clarify something. When i said it makes it very light, it's just the feel I get because of its high weight before. Right now i couldn't call it very light anymore. It really just feels right for me, for sure less precise, but that is a known trade-off.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

I tried my best to weigh it. I was able to reproduce the weight of several mice which of it's known. This one wasn't easy because of the thick braided cord paired with its light weight, but I can say with safety that it's 75-77 grams light without weight respectively 95-97g with. Please allow me tolerances anyway. That cable man...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in