Mouse button lag comparison - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Mouse button lag comparison

post #1 of 685 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 11)
http://utmalesoldiers.blogspot.com/2013/02/114.html

He compares the click registration delay for various mice, using the Logitech G300 as a reference (that's why faster mice have negative values).

I'd like to see more mice tested like this and I'd also like to know what makes some mice slower than others. Hopefully manufacturers will start paying more attention to this.

And this is from an older test by sousu, which includes some other mice:

(more info here: http://sousuch.web.fc2.com/DIY/mouse_latency/index.html)

----
At the bottom of this page you can find another click latency test, done using a different method (bumping two mice together -- see the Addendum for details).

----
Addendum:

Anyone who wants to directly compare two mice in a simple way, can use "Mouse Shooting Speed Test" (or "Mouse Click Response Speed Testing Software"), downloadable from here.

Using it is pretty straight forward: bump LMB against RMB of the other mouse.
Note that the left mouse button of either mouse is A and the right mouse button of either mouse is B. So when you switch the mice bumping by L/R buttons, the winner will change from A to B or vice versa (assuming one mouse is always faster than the other with both buttons).

For a more accurate test you should bump the mice at high speed. But use some common sense if you don't want to break something. wink.gif
Also the accuracy of the test might depend on your specific system (USB ports, software, ...).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 685 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 02:58 AM

hmm interesting,. i wonder how the original mx518 fits in. i would assume it should be close to the g400 on that chart?
post #3 of 685 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 02:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Anyone can do this test and compare a set of mice to a chosen reference mouse using Mouse Shooting Speed Test. Just run the program and follow the on-screen instructions. More information can be found in this review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 685 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 06:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Why the ADNS-3090 sensor based mice do so bad on this test? What does this test even calculate?

post #5 of 685 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahar View Post

Why the ADNS-3090 sensor based mice do so bad on this test? What does this test even calculate?
This test has a timer, comparing the delay between left click and right click. The idea is that you bump the left click of one mouse into the right click of the other, but this guy wired both mice to the same switch.

post #6 of 685 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post

This test has a timer, comparing the delay between left click and right click. The idea is that you bump the left click of one mouse into the right click of the other, but this guy wired both mice to the same switch.

and what is causing the said delay difference between the mice? Has it got anything to do with sensor or other inner hardware?

post #7 of 685 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 04:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 14)
This is an amazingly bad way to test response time because the resistance of the button/shell won't be the same for both mice (it would still be BS regardless), one mouse button HAS to go down first (the one with least resistance) and that's not relevant.

Complacency to mediocrity will be the downfall of us all.
post #8 of 685 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 10:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantavia View Post

This is an amazingly bad way to test response time because the resistance of the button/shell won't be the same for both mice (it would still be BS regardless), one mouse button HAS to go down first (the one with least resistance) and that's not relevant.
That's why the guy who made this article wired both mice to the same switch.

post #9 of 685 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 25)
looks like logitech G-series FTW. I wonder how my mouse, the G700 fits in since it's not listed.

I am all powerful Time which destroys all things, and I have come here to slay these men. Even if thou doest not fight, all the warriors facing me shall die.
post #10 of 685 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 03:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 14)
This article was linked in conjunction with the mouse bumping test thread =/

Complacency to mediocrity will be the downfall of us all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in