ZOWIE FK MOD for leftys that use right handed config - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ZOWIE FK MOD for leftys that use right handed config

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Hello guys I own a Zowie FK I am a left handed gamer but use the mouse in a right handed setup Meaning the left and right clicker are left stock as a right handed setup the problem with the zowie is you cannot change the clicking position once in left handed mouse although you can change the orientation in windows it is software limited meaning a game requiring RAW INPUT your clicking will result in using mouse 2 which is what i don't want so I have taken the zowie apart and simply switched the top circuit board around now doing this works great however you will have to use a low speed dremel to grind the top center section of the board a bit not much only about 2mm once this is done the middle mouse scroll button will spin freely.now you can use your mouse in a right handed setup including both side buttons without mouse 1 and 2 being switched in raw input mode smile.gif Hope this helps you lefty's this mouse is awesome now dont have any more pics but its self explanatory.

this was talked about here https://www.overclock.net/t/1385849/lefty-issues-mouse-1-mouse-2-reversal
and here https://www.overclock.net/t/1337894/zowie-am-lefty-issues-mouse-1-mouse-2-reversal

Note discovered this mod on my own as i was getting pretty frustrated no software mod will work due to this mouse having direct input ! if you find this useful please thank me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Whoa whoa whoa whoaaaa.... HOLD THE PHONE!
Are you kidding me? This actually works?! I'm in the same boat dude, I'm actually the guy who made the thread you linked to describing the problem. I never found a solution to this and went back to an older mouse.

I'm gonna need some more details on this, a lot more, as I have next to no knowledge of how circuit boards work.
Quote:
so I have taken the zowie apart and simply switched the top circuit board around
What do you mean you just turned it around? What would that even do? Just physically turned it around? What??? Haha, are you a wizard?

I see that's a Zowie FK in your picture, not an AM. And I also saw that this guy in this video says the FK can have both sides buttons enabled at the same time. He says it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYxNJi3QqV0#t=7m5s However, I have yet to confirm with him if that is truly the case.

Did your trick work because of whatever you did to the circuit board, or simply because the Zowie FK allows both side buttons to work at the same time, or is that guy in the video wrong?

Either way, if possible, can you elaborate more on what you did to achieve this? I would be super nervous doing this myself, but I'm extremely tempted to try it if given some more details/tutorial.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

you can not enable all 4 side buttons at once that statement is incorrect for both FK and AM mice this has been discussed so many times I have already contacted the guy in the video about this statement and he apologized and he agreed that he was mistaken.This mod simply allows you to use the mouse in a right handed orientation for lefty's allowing you to use the side buttons on the right side since you cant customize buttons on this mouse this solution worked out great for me and yes I was unwilling to give up this mouse as it fits smoothly in my hand.thumb.gif Oh and PS no need to worry about anything best advice i can give you is when doing the sanding with a dremmel take your time and watch the traces on the board so you dont go to far in it dosnt take much just keep retesting it little by little.NO MORE SCRIPTS OR AUTOHOTKEY COMMANDS THAT DON'T WORK CORRECTLY.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Ok, so hold on. Here's an image of the guts of the Zowie FK that I mocked up. Is this all I need to do? Are you saying, all you have to do is literally rotate that little circuit board that's hanging out of it on the right there? Are those the physical switches for the side buttons on that thing? Do the screw holes still line up when you rotate it like that? I'm guessing those little red things are the actual switches and you're just physically changing the side they're on... that sounds really easy.

And you're only using the dremel tool on it simply to make room for the mouse wheel? Yeah, that's the part that seems kinda tricky. I guess so long as you don't ruin the leads you're okay though...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yup that's it buddy nothing more to it don't scare yourself with the dremmel its super easy you don't have to take much off.If you don't sand down the center top section it will not spin freely the center mouse will still work it just wont spin smoothly and yes all the screws mount up perfectly.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
thanks for this guide, i did it to my FK. Is very silly Zowie overlooked this in their firmware.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

The *OFFICIAL* HAF 932/922 Case Owners Club
The Asus P6X58D Thread

Mozilla Firefox Club : Team Fortress 2 Club
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

-To anyone on this thread-
This mod is unneccesary since they have a way of changing it without taking the mouse apart

Reference: this video

if you look at the handbook he has you can see that holding in button 1 + button 3 activates mouse 4 n 5 on the other side and disabling the current (left click and scroll wheel if i remember correctly) and yes i have done this myself before just to test. ive also changed polling rate and lift off distance as demonstrated in the video and the mouse has on board memory wich remembers your current "config"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	270816  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

So you're saying that we're crazy and there's no point to us taking the time to show others how to do this mod?

I ask you to pretend for a moment that all your mice, keyboards, pens, scissors, game controllers, gamepads, joysticks, English writing, etc. was all made for left-handed people. You like to game and use computers, you grew up using left-handed mice for the early years of your life. Because of this, you used the buttons on left-handed mouse the same way that left-handed people did, but with your right hand -- it's now muscle memory. Swapping around the buttons to be the "right way" to use a right-handed mouse would take weeks maybe months of practice to undo years of muscle memory. So you don't really mind using a left-handed mouse unchanged in any manner, but you would rather use it with your good hand, your right hand.

Then some company comes out with a mouse that supports using it left-handed just as well it can be used right-handed. It also has fancy side buttons for both left-handed and right-handed people -- useful for gaming and browsing. There's a caveat though, in order to use the side side buttons with your right hand the mouse will switch around the primary mouse buttons MOUSE1 and MOUSE2. That's not useful because you use the primary buttons the same way as left handed people. Again, that would take weeks, maybe months of undoing muscle memory and making mistakes. Your just not up for that. Why can't the mouse just simply swap the side buttons to the other side without affecting the primary buttons? Why does everything have to be so difficult...So you think to yourself if there's a way to keep it in left-handed mode, but solder the side buttons across to the other side buttons so that you can use the mouse with your right hand. It was successful! You took pics while doing it just in case. Then you write up a how-to to show the other 1% of right-handed people in the world how to the same mod. Then some left-handed ******* comes along and says that the mod and the work it took to put it all together is unnecessary..

This is our world...as long as you understand what I've said, you may now respond with what's called empathy, or as many say, "being in our shoes".

Okay you can stop pretending now. You may go back to the world where most things are made for being right-hand dominate

In regards to the link, much appreciated. I didn't know that the EC2 had a lift off distance setting.

The *OFFICIAL* HAF 932/922 Case Owners Club
The Asus P6X58D Thread

Mozilla Firefox Club : Team Fortress 2 Club
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks!

Thank you! this still works in 2019, although with my (new) FK1 I did not have to remove any plastic for the scroll wheel to work, could simply rotate the circuitboard and screw it back on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in