Nvidia input lag & mouse response - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Nvidia input lag & mouse response

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hey guys I just switched from an AMD card to Nvidia GTX 770. I'm having some trouble with input lag in Quake 3 engine games.
I've seen some other threads regarding this and there seems to be problems with the scaling in modern drivers. And possibly HPET.
I also don't know what most of the control panel settings do like threaded optimization and maximum pre-rendered frames.

On the AMD card and Windows 8 all I had to do was set the affinity for my game to 1 CPU core.
So for Quake 3 engine games can someone tell me the optimal settings for Nvidia? Or should I just use r0ach's guide?

These are the settings I have right now:

Besides these I also need to know which scaling option and anything else like HPET on or off. My OS is Windows 8. Monitor is Asus VG248QE 144Hz.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:06 PM
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah I asked if I should just use that guide in my original post. But is it even accurate? You can't change a lot of that stuff on LAN either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Mehehe!

Rep: 86 (Unique: 50)
Yeah but at LAN everyone will be having the same bollox. 1 of the things in his guide is backed up by many users on nvidia forums though, the scaling. By all means use your display's built in scaling or even better, if you're planning on playing on native resolution (in which case scaling is not required), turn it off.

HPET personally isn't causing delay after doing loads of testing with it imo. It does however caus a subtle change in how your mouse feels. The more accurate the timer, the more accurate it feels but also slightly slower somehow.

Tinker with HPET combinations at your own desire, keep in mind having it ON in the bios and disabled/enabled in windows is also a valid combo, there's at least 3 possible variations in timing methods.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptBE View Post

Yeah but at LAN everyone will be having the same bollox. 1 of the things in his guide is backed up by many users on nvidia forums though, the scaling. By all means use your display's built in scaling or even better, if you're planning on playing on native resolution (in which case scaling is not required), turn it off.

HPET personally isn't causing delay after doing loads of testing with it imo. It does however caus a subtle change in how your mouse feels. The more accurate the timer, the more accurate it feels but also slightly slower somehow.

Tinker with HPET combinations at your own desire, keep in mind having it ON in the bios and disabled/enabled in windows is also a valid combo, there's at least 3 possible variations in timing methods.

Well I am trying to do that. According to r0ach's guide:
Leaving scaling on anything else incurs a large amount of input lag, even in native resolution. "GPU - No scaling" is also much laggier than the "Display - No Scaling" setting.

But in Windows 8 with current drivers there is only the option for "GPU - No Scaling". So I can't change to "Display - No Scaling". It is forced to be GPU and Display isn't even an option because it doesn't exist.
This is what it looks like on mine:

Edit: I really would like to use this new card but the drivers are just really bad. I get input lag no matter what I change. For single player games this is a great card but not multiplayer FPS games where input lag needs to be as low as possible.
Hopefully when G-sync comes out it can eliminate this issue.
Until then I am going back to my AMD 7950.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 06:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 91)
r_swapinterval 0 ingame already(quake live that is)?

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 58)
Make sure threaded optimization is set to Off.
Display - No Scaling makes a huge difference, but it still feels a tad laggy - as if an extra buffer is used regardless of the setting.

Be sure the card is running at full clockspeed and not dropping down. Despite being able to push 1000fps at idle clocks, I found a large difference in input lag between idle and full clocks. I could always tell I'd forget to force maximum clockspeed in Quake games.

I switched from a GTX670 to a 7950 for input lag and video quality reasons.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok thanks for the tips.
Yes, r_swapinterval is 0.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 02:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 91)
i own a gtx 760(should be the same inputlag wise) but i don't notice anything bad with it in QL(had gtx 275 until 1 month ago).

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Mehehe!

Rep: 86 (Unique: 50)
If you can't select a different scaling method, that's due to your monitor (EDID, etc). I couldn't do it either on my Samsung 2233RZ but it worked fine on my new 120Hz iiyama monitor. Also on Win 8.
Also if you're really worried about input lag, put "Max prerendered frames" to the lowest possible value and disable triple buffering and vsync.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in