Artisan Shiden Xsoft vs MID - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Artisan Shiden Xsoft vs MID

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi all, hope you all have a nice day, and first sorry for my English biggrin.gif

I'm going to order a mousepad from Artisan and based on my experience and knowledge, I'm pick a Shiden medium after testing out Shiden Kai, Hien and Hayabusha. The Shiden model only comes with 2 hardness: Xsoft or MID, and I cannot make a decision of going Xsoft or MID so I have a few questions:

1/ Which hardness provides better control and grip (since the Shiden/ Shiden Kai are known to be fastest pads of Artisan so I need a slower version of hardness)
2/ Which hardness provides more comfort after a long gaming session (about 2-3 hours nonstop, I play Dota 2 and some offline games)
3/ Which one is more durable?

Thanks for your helps guys, I really appreciate it biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 33)
Get the Xsoft, the Mid combined with the harder glass surface makes it feel like a hardpad.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikhr View Post

Get the Xsoft, the Mid combined with the harder glass surface makes it feel like a hardpad.

Thanks Vikhr, that's what I'm thinking too, but is there anymore experience to share? biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 46)
To questions 1 and 2 I'd say Xsoft is better. Mid might be more durable but I don't have Shiden or Shidenkai pad myself.

I'd like to know though if any of those two really or still have problems with optical mice.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 261 (Unique: 244)
This really is a question of personal preference. I have a mid and it's a bit firmer than a typical generic mousepad. It certainly doesn't feel like a hard pad, it definitely gives where your wrist lays on the pad.

Do you want a soft pad or a firm pad? Just choose your personal preference and go with that, they're both going to perform very well (the shiden-kai is hands down the best pad I've used by a mile. And still in use after 3 years, so good value even with the high price).

As for optical mice, I had no problems with a Deathadder 1800, 3g, or roccat savu (all optical).

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 04:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 33)
Certain opticals might have problems with the Shiden, depends on what the OP has.
Mice that I can say work on the Shiden are the IR Led Zowie's, the FK1, DA2013, G400, DA3.5G, and Sensei Raw.
Some of those mice experience slightly reduced max tracking speeds but the Shiden somehow manages to work pretty well with several mice for the most part, the Shiden-Kai on the other hand is apparently more troublesome when it comes to compatibility.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks guys for all the inputs biggrin.gif, I just ordered a Shiden Xsoft, hope it works nicely with my DA2013 thumb.gif
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 09:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 46)
Is the Shiden or Shidenkai sticky to the skin?
It's glass-coated and I wonder if with a higher temperature and a bit sweat it becomes sticky and 'draggy', like if it's hard to move the forearm across the pad when it's a bit warmer or a lil bit sweaty.
Any input would be really appreciated.thumb.gif
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:14 PM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 169 (Unique: 86)
Quote:
Originally Posted by detto87 View Post

Is the Shiden or Shidenkai sticky to the skin?
It's glass-coated and I wonder if with a higher temperature and a bit sweat it becomes sticky and 'draggy', like if it's hard to move the forearm across the pad when it's a bit warmer or a lil bit sweaty.
Any input would be really appreciated.thumb.gif

Where I live it's currently cool and nice so the Shindenkai isn't sticky at all unless you've spilt something onto it and let it dry.

It's basically a polyester surface so don't go thinking it's all glass because it's NOT. All they've done is coat the surface with some kind of film layer that they call "glass" and left it like that. Okay for most mice to use because nearly every sensor I've had in stock worked with the pad quite easily.

If you are a sweat hog during the summer season, then don't go for a Polyester based surface because it will affect your sweat pores to pour out more sweat and might even irritate your skin when in contact with that type of surface.

If you are susceptible to sweat and certain man-made fabrics then go for an all Aluminum or real Glass or Ceramic like surface for your mouse.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 95 (Unique: 53)
I've come to realize recently that I am almost always preferring thinner mousepads because they provide a more consistent glide for me, as I tend to put more force into my swipes and more weight into the mousepad than most people.

However, the Shiden is the one exception so far where I think the thicker option is actually preferable. We all know it's a very quick pad, so had just a little give to the surface helps the subtle texture of the Shiden come out in a very nice way, that not only makes it pleasant to glide on, but actually provides enough feedback to stop almost as quickly and precisely as your QCK type cloth pads (with a good bit of practice with it). Yet the Shiden's unique surface has much more 'surface tension' than any of those cloth pads, so unlike them, a thicker base doesn't give the Shiden an entire wide range of glide speeds that depend on the pressure you on the mouse (this is where the softer Hayates and QcK Heavy fall down, in my opinion).

Artisan's famously bewildering and amusing English translations make it hard to tell exactly what the Shiden is, but parsing what they provide online with my experience using it and at least a decent knowledge of material science as it relates to mousepads, I think I have a pretty good guess on the Shiden. Everything beyond this point is merely an educated guess.

The 'core' of the surface is some kind of fiberglass-woven (polyester?) cloth, which can be made suitably thin enough (0.1mm). This could explain the 'glittery' appearance of the surface, though it wouldn't surprise me if they added some flecks of a reflective metallic compound to pigment the surface resin (for aesthetics presumably). And why Artisan would try to describe it as glass surface or glass coating.

This fiberglass cloth is set in a non-reinforced, unsaturated polyester resin that not only gives the surface the unique, "hybrid" feel, but also bonds the top surface to the rubber base. The "hybrid" feel comes from the polyester resin that fills in and smooths the cloth weave as it cures, and even though this gives it the fast, slick, firm feel of a hard pad, there is enough pliability that it is reminiscent of a cloth pad. And because the thin resin is almost more like a coating on the fiberglass cloth, the texture is still perceptible and helps immensely with it not feeling alarmingly unwieldy and uncontrollable like a true hard pad.

Finally, I think the weave of the fiberglass cloth is similar to gabardine or twill, which is a relatively coarse pattern that would be pretty slow on it's own (I think the tortoise-like Artisan Hien uses a similar weave), but would work well with a resin or coating to fill it in and even it out. It's darn near impossible to make out any details about the weave with the naked eye or pictures though, largely due to its high reflectivity and the resin & cloth being extremely similar in color.

sourceGL software
CS:GO and TF2 sensitivity - 1 @ 1000DPI, 41.6cm per 360°
baby boy
(25 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.9GHz - de-lidded
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified @ 1532MHz core, 4192MHz memory
RAM
OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB [x2] @ 2400MHz, 8-12-8-28 1T
RAM
OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB [x2] @ 2400MHz, 8-12-8-28 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB
Optical Drive
Lite-On DL-8A4SH
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova PS 1000W
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 140XL (w/ EK-Vardar F3-140ER fan)
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 140XL (w/ EK-Vardar F3-140ER fan)
Cooling
Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra thermal compound
Cooling
Fujipoly ModRight Extreme thermal pads
Case
SilverStone Fortress FT05B
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ XL2411Z 24" @ 144Hz
Keyboard
Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate (w/ MX Green modifiers and PBT keycaps)
Mouse
Logitech G900 - de-braided and de-battery'd (w/ Corepad Skatez)
Mouse
ZOWIE by BenQ G-SR-SE (Special Edition Blue for 2017)
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX II (w/ UNi modded driver)
Audio
beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO headphones (w/ AntLion ModMic 4.0)
Audio
Blue Sky eXo 160W 2.1 studio monitors
Other
CyberPower 1350AVR UPS
Other
Solarflare SFN6122F network adapter
Other
MikroTik RouterBoard RB751G-2HnD
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in