After years of troubleshooting I have just found what causes my mouse to lag and general input lag problem - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

After years of troubleshooting I have just found what causes my mouse to lag and general input lag problem

post #41 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trull View Post

Glad that you figured it out, man, although it seems like the kind of thing you would look at before tearing your walls apart, lol.

But anyway, I myself am more interested in what r0ach said about the harddrive issue. I have 3 HDD's on my system besides the SSD with the OS, 2 of these 3 HDD's have had Windows OS's at some point, with different motherboards. Now, I manually deleted the Windows folder and other system files from both these drivers and did a fresh install of Windows on my SSD very recently, but it's apparent that the OS hasn't been completely deleted from the drives (the boot module is still there), so I was wondering how I can completely remove all traces of Windows without having to wipe the drives.

I'm not sure that this has had an effect on my system, but I'd like to get rid of any Windows left-overs anyway.

you should be able to do that using the clean command from diskpart command-line tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Mehehe!

Rep: 86 (Unique: 50)
Open CMD as admin:

diskpart
list disk
select disk X (x being a number)
clean

WARNING: This will wipe the entire drive (more so then a format, even partitions will be gone, the entire HDD will be wiped clean, you'll only get data back through data recovery so make sure you select the right disk!)

Also when reinstalling Windows, the easy way out to make sure every boot partition and what not is on the right drive is to only hook up the HDD or SSD that you're using for Windows. Windows can occasionally do some weird stuff like adding your boot partition to your Mechanical HDD whilst the OS is installed on an SSD and vica versa. Hook up your other HDD later on when you've finally booted at least once in your freshly installed Windows.

post #43 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 21)
lol, guys... I'm looking for a way to do that without wiping the drives... so far I've found only one tool that advertises it can do that (it also has a partition merger):

http://www.disk-partition.com/gpt-mbr/convert-mbr-to-gpt-without-data-loss.html

Dunno what's the deal with it or if it really works, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Mehehe!

Rep: 86 (Unique: 50)
Unhook the HDD, see if your PC works and boots just fine with only the other one (the desired one to have all the boot and OS files).

If so:

Hook the drive back up and unhook the OS drive from power for now (to avoid mistakes)
Get a linux bootable (my favorite is XUbuntu) and choose "TRY" from the disk, once in:
  • Get to your disk
  • Delete undesired system files (no nagging of the sorts "blahblah system file, blah blah", the Linux distro will just delete it, fyi I would leave the folder "System Volume Information" be btw)
  • Once done, boot back into Windows

Back in Windows use "Disk Management" to delete any lefover partitions you don't need from the HDD that don't contain your personal files and what not. This will become "raw" HDD space. Try to extend your current partition with it.

If the latter part doesn't work you might have to resort to more extreme measures such as aforementioned tools or GParted (bootable).

An other far more easy method would by just copying the files to another HDD and just using "clean" in diskpart though tongue.gif if you don't have a disk of your own, any HDD you can borrow from a friend?

I'm not a fan of using those tools on a Live system tbh. I've used similar tools with mixed results. I mainly use some of them to make exact images of disks these days (lazy mode to keep customers happy when the PC comes back fully formatted and repaired from HP/Acer/... just copy the image back and tada repaired hardware and software wise it's like nothing ever happened).

post #45 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptBE View Post

Another far more easy method would by just copying the files to another HDD and just using "clean" in diskpart though tongue.gif if you don't have a disk of your own, any HDD you can borrow from a friend?

Yeah, luckily I have plenty of disks available, so I'll just do that.

But just so you know, I actually had the system partitions and what not deleted already, and the Windows boot module was still not gone, lol.
post #46 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
I updated OP. Thanks, again.
post #47 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 10:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 433 (Unique: 289)
Sounds like a mobo issue. Put the Mobo in the OP.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

post #48 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post

Sounds like a mobo issue. Put the Mobo in the OP.
I had the same problem with two former mobos. It is not mobo problem.
post #49 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 11:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 433 (Unique: 289)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erobuR View Post

I had the same problem with two former mobos. It is not mobo problem.

Then you may be routing to much power through the mobo's. If you run you fans off a separate power supply see if the issue continues. Use a 3pin to molex convertor. Really none of this is making sense. but from what I gathered from your initial post is you had changed out just about everything sans the fans. But if you were pulling too many amps through the mobo you may have been draining the bus. But running directly to your PS should correct that and you did not mention if you had just run your array direct from your ps.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

post #50 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 58)
Here's where I think you're insane.

"People were indeed pre-shooting me. Either my monitor was 60ms, or they were all using 144hz lighbusters, which was not possible in my "new skill bracket". After telling my fellas I fixed everything and now I was back, no I was not at all. The problem was still there. And after fixing surge and monitor cable, It was really something that I could tell now. And for sure I knew that I was not insane."

That's called lag compensation--it happens to everyone, and I really think you are making way too big of a deal out of this. A better ISP helps a lot too.

How about this: Go play on one of your fella's setups, since based on the context of your post they react better than you. Bring your mouse, configs, keyboard, and all of that so peripherals aren't to blame. Then come back and tell us the same story.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in