Why many people have horrible mouse movement and don't know why in Win 8.1 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Why many people have horrible mouse movement and don't know why in Win 8.1

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 167 (Unique: 109)
If you do a fresh Win 8.1 install off a Microsoft ISO, the cursor will be pretty rigid and unresponsive right afterwards. In the Windows 7 days, you needed to install all your drivers first, then run the Windows Experience Index option labeled "clear all scores and re-rate the system", just in case the test ran when you didn't want it to while you had 0 drivers installed.

Windows 8.1 is no different. You have to install all your drivers first, then hit the Windows key + R and type "winsat formal". After the tests run, Windows configures the OS for your SSD and GPU, and mouse movement changes drastically for the better. This test will automatically run if you leave your computer idle for 1-2 hours, but if you have the thing idling with no GPU driver installed, it's just going to give you a free case of clown cursor.

I'm not sure how often Winsat runs after the first time, but if you always power down your PC, or don't leave it idle for long periods of time, you might be sitting around with clown cursor for weeks, months, or forever.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:43 AM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 173 (Unique: 89)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ach View Post

Windows 8.1 is no different. You have to install all your drivers first, then hit the Windows key + R and type "winsat formal". After the tests run, Windows configures the OS for your SSD and GPU, and mouse movement changes drastically for the better.

Thanks for that tip r0ach, very helpful indeed the cursor is now quite lively compared to before specool.gif.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:46 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 249 (Unique: 187)
I did this and my cursor no longer has a big red nose. frown.gif

MEGATRON
(17 items)
GIGATRON
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Gigabyte RX 580
RAM
2x8 G.Skill Trident 3200 CAS14 @ 3466 CAS14
Hard Drive
2x1TB WD Black RAID 0
Hard Drive
3TB WD Red
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
Power Supply
FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Cooling
Stock... hue hue
Case
Thermaltake Core X9
Monitor
Benq XL2411Z
Monitor
Dell U2412M
Monitor
Dell U2412M
Keyboard
KBC Poker II MX Clears
Mouse
Zowie ZA11
Mouse
old school Razer Goliathus
Audio
Aune T1 -> Yamaha A-720 -> Sennheiser HD650 | Sony MDR-XB500
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 @ 2.00GHz
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 @ 2.00GHz
Motherboard
SuperMicro X10DAL-i
GPU
nay
RAM
2x8GB (for now) Kingston DDR4 @ 2133MHz/C16
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 120GB
Power Supply
SeaSonic SS850-AM
Cooling
EK-Vardar F4 on an Arctic Freezer i11
Case
overrated
Operating System
Ubuntu Server 16.04
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 07:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 46)
So always I upgrade a driver - say a graphics driver - I have to run winsat formal again?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Microsoft trying to be clever. The emphasis on 'trying'.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 AM
Ever Forward.

Rep: 231 (Unique: 166)

Clown Cursor

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own."

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
OMG thanks you OP now i'm feeling that i'm a PROOOOOO player nice i can go join fnatic team they surely will take me on when they see my new skills yahooooooooooooooooo and all thanks to you

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Neat tip.
I'd kiss you if you weren't a roach.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
r0ach you might now, i've tried connecting my mouse to a different USB port what i've notice that my mouse speed increased, not sure if thats input lag, noticed this in BF4 and CS:GO, i've use to have my mouse connected to the ones that are on top of my mobo next to these ps2 ports, but now i've tried on any lower USB port. This is my MB:Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-D3H, in BIOS i have disabled HPET, and all other power saving features using your guide and all USB3 support. so not sure if thats input lag or just sensitivity change, i'm using Zowie EC2 but same whit DA 3.5G

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 167 (Unique: 109)
Quote:
Originally Posted by detto87 View Post

So always I upgrade a driver - say a graphics driver - I have to run winsat formal again?

I wouldn't run it again. Just make sure you never let your PC idle with no GPU driver installed just in case. When Winsat runs, it does lots of stuff in the background like turning on the windows auto-backup crap that enables things like volumeshadow copy services, etc, so you kind of want to run this command before you optimize any settings on the PC and not run it again afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post

r0ach you might now, i've tried connecting my mouse to a different USB port what i've notice that my mouse speed increased, not sure if thats input lag, noticed this in BF4 and CS:GO, i've use to have my mouse connected to the ones that are on top of my mobo next to these ps2 ports, but now i've tried on any lower USB port. This is my MB:Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-D3H, in BIOS i have disabled HPET, and all other power saving features using your guide and all USB3 support. so not sure if thats input lag or just sensitivity change, i'm using Zowie EC2 but same whit DA 3.5G

Even if you unplug a mouse then replug it back into the same port, it's usually easy to notice mouse sensitivity change a non-insignificant amount. It's very annoying.

If you go and read things about hardware components of USB and mice, you'll run into stuff like crystal oscillators and crystal-less oscillator controllers. Supposedly the later has a 5% variance or so, which means mouse performance might vary wildly by doing random things like removing the mouse and plugging it back in. The crystal oscillators are supposedly more accurate, but this is all engineering stuff that I haven't gone much into.

All I know is, it seems very little or zero engineering work has gone into making mice or USB ports have any form of consistency, which is why I'd love to see a dedicated mouse interface instead of USB garbage.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in