Never seen a keyboard cause swamp cursor till the Steelseries 6gv2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Never seen a keyboard cause swamp cursor till the Steelseries 6gv2

post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 167 (Unique: 109)
I have 3 keyboards on my desk: a $15 Logitech K-120 membrane keyboard, a $100 mechanical Steelseries 6gv2, and a $100 mechanical Coolermaster Quickfire XT.

First off, I never expected to see a difference between keyboards when connected over PS/2, but there definitely is between these keyboards. With the Steelseries plugged in on PS/2, mouse movement is significantly more sluggish than the Coolermaster over PS/2, and more sluggish than the $15 Logitech K-120 over USB.

If you compare mouse movement for all three keyboards connected over USB, the Steelseries loses again, and the the $15 Logitech K-120 wins. It's not surprising the Coolermaster does bad here since it's a 1000hz polling rate keyboard over USB. Plugging in a 1000hz keyboard with a 1000hz mouse bogs down your system pretty bad, and gives you noticeably more choppy field of view pans in first person games. Multiple high polling rate devices on a system does not work well. It's possible that if the USB controller was operating in MSI mode, instead of line based interrupt, it might be different, but I don't think most or any integrated USB 2 controllers will do so.

Due to most motherboards having only a single transaction translator on USB hubs, mixing USB 1.1 devices (which most keyboards are), and USB 2.0 mice, should have negative consequences as well such as described by Cypress here:

http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=54981

I would like to find a USB 2.0 keyboard operating at 125hz to test the difference, but I can't find any that exist. Anyway, there does seem to be a large difference in mouse response between using different keyboards, which I would never have expected until I bought three and tested them all back to back.

Tests were done using two different motherboards, the Asus P8Z77-V + Gigabyte z77 UD5H, and two different mice, Kana v2 + Logitech's AM010 mice. If any keyboard company wants to send me a keyboard to test if your keyboard is indeed crap, then I'll be happy to test it, because most of them do seem to be pretty bad. Otherwise, you should probably just reverse engineer the $15 Logitech or see if there's any benefit to developing a USB 2.0 125hz keyboard for gaming.

The Steelseries 6gv2 appears to use Cypress and/or Datacomp parts. I'm not sure if it's Steelseries fault the keyboard is bad, or one of those companies.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 09:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
On end what is better 6Gv2 on PS/2 or USB ?

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 167 (Unique: 109)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChieFz View Post

On end what is better 6Gv2 on PS/2 or USB ?

Wasn't much difference between the two on the Steelseries, probably PS/2, but it's hard to say because the difference is small. The $15 Logitech K120 was better than either method with 6gv2 over USB or PS/2. The Steelseries gives you that heavy feeling on the cursor where it comes up just short of flicking where you want it to.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 31)
Funny...
I noticed the mouse felt different now that I have Ducky shine 4 keyboard tongue.gif

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 44)
Well, all of that is just worthless without any explanation for either 1. how the "feel" exactly changes or 2. how the keyboard could possibly interact with the mouse (be it on HUB-level or OS-level), especially when they are connected through different interfaces. Having 2 1kHz USB devices on a single HUB could naturally lead to polls being missed/delayed and cause latency, which in turns makes things "swampy" on the mouse side. But is there proof of that happening? People have reported experiencing mouse lag with perfomance-heavy or bandwidth-heavy devices connected to the PC, such as game pads or smart phones. But PS/2?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 07:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 111)
So at first I'm like.. I love r0ach but I think he's full of ish here... then a few mins later when I was cleaning I found a dell membrane keyboard (L100 rev3) from 2007 so I'm like screw it he's been right before - I'll try it.

With the SS 6Gv2 it feels like the cursor is lagging behind my path and struggling to catch up. The mouse feels faster? but more consistent with the goddamn $9 membrane keyboard. This is so messed up. I've been using the 6Gv2 for years! #$%^&*(\

At first I thought I was tripping so here I am 30 mins later still able to tell a difference rebooting back and forth between keyboards. This is stupid

So who makes a non lag inducing mechanical keyboard then?

I'm giving the 6Gv2 to my mother or something. I can't even take it to work as I use the left Windows key very often and it doesn't have one lol.

cookie cutter 2012
(15 items)
CPU
3930k 4.7 1.384v
Motherboard
RIVE BIOS 2105
GPU
1080TI FTW3 2050/6003
RAM
16GB Samsung 2133Mhz CL10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1300G2
Cooling
H110
Case
Arc Midi R2
Operating System
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
XL2420T
Keyboard
K70 Reds
Mouse
SS QCK+
Mouse
Zowie FK2, many opticals
Audio
Xonar Essence STX
Other
Intel EXPI9301CT NIC
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 07:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post

So at first I'm like.. I love r0ach but I think he's full of ish here... then a few mins later when I was cleaning I found a dell membrane keyboard (L100 rev3) from 2007 so I'm like screw it he's been right before - I'll try it.

With the SS 6Gv2 it feels like the cursor is lagging behind my path and struggling to catch up. The mouse feels faster? but more consistent with the goddamn $9 membrane keyboard. This is so messed up. I've been using the 6Gv2 for years! #$%^&*(\

At first I thought I was tripping so here I am 30 mins later still able to tell a difference rebooting back and forth between keyboards. This is stupid

So who makes a non lag inducing mechanical keyboard then?

I'm giving the 6Gv2 to my mother or something. I can't even take it to work as I use the left Windows key very often and it doesn't have one lol.

Don't believe you for a second.

How much did r0ach pay you to post this?
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 08:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 111)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supnmu View Post

k

cookie cutter 2012
(15 items)
CPU
3930k 4.7 1.384v
Motherboard
RIVE BIOS 2105
GPU
1080TI FTW3 2050/6003
RAM
16GB Samsung 2133Mhz CL10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1300G2
Cooling
H110
Case
Arc Midi R2
Operating System
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
XL2420T
Keyboard
K70 Reds
Mouse
SS QCK+
Mouse
Zowie FK2, many opticals
Audio
Xonar Essence STX
Other
Intel EXPI9301CT NIC
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 385 (Unique: 275)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supnmu View Post

Please don't be a trolling jerk.
That's clearly HIS keyboard and monitor (Benq T or Z series). If you don't approve of what he or r0ach says, put them on ignore, like I am going to do to you right now.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 01:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 31)
For me it seems like the mice movement is alot smoother and "on-point" with the Ducky Shine 4 keyboard.
It used to be a little choppy when I was locking my crosshair to the edge of corners on CSGO to clear out places.
Now its completly smooth!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in