Mouse wheel encoders - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Mouse wheel encoders

post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Structural design <3

Rep: 39 (Unique: 35)
There have been threads and posts about micro switches, the types they come in, longevity of them, tactile feedback from them and so on.
But I haven't seen much or any info about mechanical mouse wheel encoders. Apart from everyone saying ALPS is the best without giving proper reasoning there's not much about them online.
I'm curious about the construction and of mainly ALPS, Huano and TTC encoders as those are the most readily available in mice without going in on obscure pieces.
If anyone has any info on any mech encoders please share. If not, looks like I'll need to order a few different ones to test.

I don't even know anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 26)
I agree, not enough info on encoders. Ideally i'd like to see thread with mice's encoders like we already have with sensors.
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 09:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAGGARD View Post

Practically all mice renown for scroll issues (primarily Logitech, Zowie, Microsoft) deploy optical encoders. Optical naturally has advantages over mechanical such as lifetime and latency, but apparently it's not an easy implementation as far as proper actuation goes. The tactility in mechanical encoders comes from the actual actuation, with optical it's not that clear-cut.

As for the feeling or construction differences in mechanical encoders itself... The only mechanical one I can remember to ever have used is a TTC (afaik) in a "Sharkoon Fireglider". Started double-actuating at some point, so that's that. The tactility wasn't any better than in the optical designs I have otherwise used either. Optical of course has the problem that the actuation point is more vague and you can get actuations without any feedback as seen in the MLT04 and Zowie mice. Logitech has a very good optical encoder implementation.

I don't think the debounce latency associated with mechanical encoders is detrimental to anything (like timing jumps for bunnyhopping or whatever), but in terms of life span and for "perfection"'s sake I would always go optical. And again, the TTC mech didn't even feel better than the opticals, the opposite if anything. Somehow I also always associate mechanical encoders with low quality internals... dunno.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 09:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAGGARD View Post

Somehow I also always associate mechanical encoders with low quality internals... dunno.

Who else than Logitech is using optical encoders now?
post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Zowie. I think both Razer and SteelSeries have always used mechanical. Not sure about the more exotic brands.
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1st View Post

Bloody

"It's all fun n games till someone looses an eye. Then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield, Metallica

post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shellbonus View Post

Bloody

Makes me wonder if optical encoders are cheaper than mechanical.
post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 11:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 22)
Quote:

Microsoft in some mice.
post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 11:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I have never used a Bloody/A4TECH mouse (Sharkoon is some kind of off-brand or daughter of that though?) but I don't think you can entirely lump them together with the cheap crap mice out there. They have been around for ages and on the forefront basically of some cool stuff like button latency and polling stability. And they have an optical keyboard on the market. I wouldn't be surprised if they were to be the first brand to develop optical microswitches - something I'm still looking forward to.

Regardless, I think mechanical switches are cheaper. Those are a few pieces of plastic and metal. In optical systems there's the laser/LED and photo diode, plus the implementation seems more costy too (both electrically and mechanically since you have to create tactility by other means such as Logitech's spring system).
post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 11:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 33)
Quote:

Bloody mice component wise are OK. They just dont have added marketing headaches added to the price tag.

"It's all fun n games till someone looses an eye. Then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield, Metallica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in